being old fashioned?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I just saw a movie called Time Changers. It is an awesome movie.  it makes you think and wonder just how much we have sort of whittled our christian lives to fit the world rather than increased our spiritual relationship with Jesus.  

I had a discussion with a friend who watched this movie with me.  He said that people who dislike foul language are called old fashioned.  So, it made me think and now I put this out to itch your minds and see whats other people's opinion about this.  As a christian, we should strive to be christ-like and be set apart from the world. To be put bluntly, be the role model for others to look up to.  The bible states that we should be the salt and the light of the world.

So I am wondering, when in our christian lives are we beginning to be viewed as old fashioned?   

In my experience, I have noticed that as I strive to be closer to Christ, watch how I speak, be cautious when I use foul language,  Others actually take more notice.  One instance,  I was truly angry at one person and swore at him.  He immediately took me aside and had a meeting with me to find out whats wrong.  What struck me was what he said.  he said," everyone swears all the time, every single sentence has a swear.  With them, I don't take it seriously.  But with you,  You never swear no matter what happens to you, so when you swear, its something serious."

So I would appreciate your comments.

And May God bless your days.

Paul.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Well, my views are that calling others old-fashioned is often an excuse to corrupt the word of God. These people seem to think that God changes to follow our fashions and he does not!

The only changes that are allowed are the ones that don't go against the nature or teachings of God. So while new technology for example, is fine, new morals aren't.

As for swearing, yes, I know, it's a bad habit for many, a habit that I haven't completely broken. But at least I'm pleased to see it going in the right direction. I swear less and less as time goes on and the urge to do so gets less.

Don't believe anybody who tries to make God adapt to our modern World. These are the same people who find stuff in the Bible and say "that doesn't apply to day." These are the people who declare that homosexuality is okay, "things were different then, the World is overcrowded and too many people reproduce.... " and so on.

They are the same people who condone adultery - "sexual fidelity was important in those days, there were no contraceptives".

These people justify all sorts of immoral lifestyles by using the 'out-of-date' card.

God's word does not change. As for being old-fashioned, I'm old-fashioned and happy to be so!

Guest Butero

I have always thought that people that swear on a regular basis come across as low class.  I wasn't raised in a home where that would be tolerated.  I could probably count on my hands the number of times I have used swear words, and when I say swear words, I mean ones that would cause a movie to get a PG rating, not an R rating.  Going around using the "F" word is not something I would do.  I rarely am around people that use language like that, and if they do slip and say a bad word, they apologize to me.  I guess they have just noticed I don't use bad language.  The funny thing is, you are right in that just keeping your language clean causes people to start thinking you must be religious or a Christian.  I have had people around me know I was a Christian without me ever mentioning being saved.  They just recognized it.  I don't say that to lift myself up.  I am far from perfect, and that is an understatement.   It is just a reflection of how the world has become.  Just by not cursing, people think you are religious, because why don't you curse when you get mad? 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I have always thought that people that swear on a regular basis come across as low class.  I wasn't raised in a home where that would be tolerated.  I could probably count on my hands the number of times I have used swear words, and when I say swear words, I mean ones that would cause a movie to get a PG rating, not an R rating.  Going around using the "F" word is not something I would do.  I rarely am around people that use language like that, and if they do slip and say a bad word, they apologize to me.  I guess they have just noticed I don't use bad language.  The funny thing is, you are right in that just keeping your language clean causes people to start thinking you must be religious or a Christian.  I have had people around me know I was a Christian without me ever mentioning being saved.  They just recognized it.  I don't say that to lift myself up.  I am far from perfect, and that is an understatement.   It is just a reflection of how the world has become.  Just by not cursing, people think you are religious, because why don't you curse when you get mad? 

Amen! To all of what you say!

Guest LadyC

as an aside, i absolutely LOVED the movie "the time changers". i'd forgotten about it! thanks for the reminder, i need to see if i can order it somewhere.

here's what i believe. everyone uses foul language in the secular world, it seems... it's easy. and it's LAZY. it takes far more intelligence, creativity, and thought to speak without foul language than it does to speak with it. does that make me old fashioned? maybe. but i'd rather be old fashioned than lazy, dumb, thoughtless and bland (un-creative).

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I own the movie and really enjoy watching it. I am "old fashion" and and happy to be that way. I use to be a "worldly man", ride a Harley, party till dawn, etc., but that lifestyle's memories make me sick today. They are like nightmares.

I so look forward to being with Christ and leaving this world behind, but am willing to wait until it is His time.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

When you don't walk and act like the world your defiantely old school.  I prefer it that way as it is better walking with the Lord than being polluted by the world and it's ways.  I recently lost my temper and said things I should not have said.  I hadn't lost my temper like that since I've been a Christian.  I regreted dearly for losing control of my tongue even though this person was causing havoc and taking advantage of an elderly woman who is a widow who has to live on an extremely low and limited income.  It just got under my skin seeing what all this person was and had been doing to this elderly person and getting away with it.  But even though I lost it it would have been better not to have stooped to their level at the time.  This person knew I was a Christian and they were shocked when I lost my temper and had words with them.   I'm still angry that this person is hurting another human being and are not taking responsibility for their own life.  Living off of this elderly person taking advantage of her and giving nothing in return being lazy and not even doing anything around her house to earn their keep.  But walking in the old paths are better and simple and will bring restoration.  The ways of the world will never bring restoration and healing in our personal lives or in the lives of others and this I have learned.  Defiantely old fashioned school here. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

c0de71f67fdda1afba3ba58f2588eddd.jpgYep...that is me all right and I love it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

Well, if they call us Old Fashioned, then what does that make them.....Newfangled?    :lightbulb2:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

:laughing:  Thanks everyone, I appreciate your answers.  It can be a difficult situation to be in.  I know that the Bible tells us to go into the world and be friendly to everyone, but do not become same as what they do. ( my own words but similar to what it says in the bible )