• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

What about raffle tickets?

I don't think raffling is the same.  Raffles are usually done in support of charities or other causes, so a person knows that when they give a dollar or two they may not win the prize, but their money is going to support a good cause.  In a raffle, you know going in that you are supporting a good cause with the possibility of wining a prize.

In gambling, it is the love of money, the desire to hit the jackpot, and you are lured into continuing to spend all you have for the chance to get rich.  In a raffle, there isn't the ongoing temptations associated with gambling.

I can agree with you here, but buying lottery tickets isn't always gambling, in the same way that having a glass of wine is not the same as getting drunk.

I'm pretty desperate for money at the moment but even so, I rarely buy lottery tickets. I'm just not a gambler, never have been. I have a number of sins and vices but thankfully gambling has never been one of them. For others however, temptation and greed may cause them to gamble. It can also become an addiction.

In principle, there is nothing wrong with buying lottery tickets, it's the reason you buy them which may be a problem. If you control it, and it doesn't control you, then it should be fine.

As we are reminded by 2nd Peter 2:19:

A man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.

I would love to have a jackpot winning lottery ticket, but I don't see buying lottery tickets as a way of getting out of my problems. It's a waste of money, hopelessly optimistic and I'll only win if God wants me to win.

I'll only buy a lottery ticket when I have money to spare - it's just a bit of fun.

Guest LadyC

i lived in vegas for ten years. sometimes i'd sit down at a penny or nickle slot machine for entertainment. i know many people would think that is poor stewardship, sinful, whatever, but i say choosing that as a form of entertainment is no more sinful or wasteful than seeing a movie. (less so, considering how much a movie costs.)

one time i sat down with a single dollar at a multi-denomination machine while guarding the bowling balls of my fellow church friends, who went upstairs to retrieve the one bingo-playing, non-bowler of our group. i started on pennies, and kept winning. upped it to nickles, continued winning. i kept increasing the denomination of money, intending to lose it all. but by the time my fellow church friends returned ten minutes later, i cashed out with $250. 

i absolutely gave God the glory AND the tithe on that unexpected income, and treated the ladies in our church group to lunch. 

God is good.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Giving a tithe from the winnings, sure nothing wrong with that. Giving a lottery ticket into the offering plate ... seems a bit off to me. I wouldnt do that myself.

actually I have a Zimbabwe trillion dollar bill I bought off eBay I have been tempted to put in the offering to give the church stewards a grin.

Guest shiloh357
I can agree with you here, but buying lottery tickets isn't always gambling, in the same way that having a glass of wine is not the same as getting drunk.

Invalid comparison.  Buy lottery tickets IS always gambling.  It doesn't matter if you buy just one a month, it is still gambling.   That is not at all analogous to getting drunk.  You can drink without getting drunk, but lotteries are means of gambling.  It is no different in principle than a slot machine.

I'm pretty desperate for money at the moment but even so, I rarely buy lottery tickets. I'm just not a gambler, never have been.

You are not a compulsive gambler, but every time you bought a ticket, you were gambling.

I have a number of sins and vices but thankfully gambling has never been one of them. For others however, temptation and greed may cause them to gamble. It can also become an addiction.

In principle, there is nothing wrong with buying lottery tickets, it's the reason you buy them which may be a problem. If you control it, and it doesn't control you, then it should be fine.

The reason is either a desire to strike it rich OR because of an addiction.  Either one can't really be defended biblically.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

ah but he said " if I win " ...sounds like someone trying t bargain/bribe /God ...doesnt work like that lol as he /she would know if they had a relationship with God.!!!

As for giving 1/10th ...that is what is supposed to happen with any of the gifts God gives us 

Yes it does seem the person buying the lottery ticket is trying to bribe or bribe God. It is a "If God let's me win... then I will give a tenth..." proposition. Not unlike what Jacob did... in Genesis 28:20-22. Jacob made a vow to God for safe passage, food, and clothing. Notice the term “If God will be with me… then” Jacob uses in the passage. So this is nothing new under the sun IMO. The issue is God already owns everything lol. ;)

Where does the Bible say we're supposed to give 1/10th of any gifts God gives us? Curious. :noidea:

God bless,

GE

This is an excellent question. But we'd need more information I think. First where does the proceeds of the money go towards? Second what is the prize?

Guest shiloh357

This is an excellent question. But we'd need more information I think. First where does the proceeds of the money go towards? Second what is the prize?

That would be a separate issue from gambling.   If the raffle is to support an organization that promotes divestment in Israel and the prize is collection of Palestinian terrorist trading cards (yes, they make terrorist trading cards for Palestinian children in Gaza)  then one might should be opposed to such a raffle.

But the issue here is whether or not raffles are synonymous with gambling, which even if the motive is nefarious, raffles are not gambling.

That would be a separate issue from gambling.   If the raffle is to support an organization that promotes divestment in Israel and the prize is collection of Palestinian terrorist trading cards (yes, they make terrorist trading cards for Palestinian children in Gaza)  then one might should be opposed to such a raffle.

But the issue here is whether or not raffles are synonymous with gambling, which even if the motive is nefarious, raffles are not gambling.

Good point Shiloh. I'm not sure if raffles are synonymous with gambling. I think it depends on the situation.

But from a Biblical standpoint the question should be is gambling wrong according to Scripture?

God bless,

GE

Ok this customer came in and bought a lottery ticket and said something like if he wins God will get 10% of it. Can you do lottery tickets as tithe. Will God accept it. It God's money after all.

What do you think tigger398? Will God accept it?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

I bought a raffle ticket for a quilt. Lovely quilt too. There is nothing at all that says where the money is going. For all I know, its going to the woman who made the quilt. It seems to me to be about the same as buying a lottery ticket. Im spending 1 dollar like I would with lottery ticket in the hopes of getting something worth much more than 1 dollar. Which with raffle tickets or a single lottery ticket now and then, I dont see as a sin.