• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

Ok I was watching the green mile. It's one of my favorite movie's. I want to know what Does God think of the death penalty. Is he all for it. I remember a verse that God told someone, I think it was Moses, to take someone out of camp, and stone him for picking up sticks. So it seems like God is all for it. I'm also confused cause that would be like God breaking his own rule.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

The old testament definitely supported the death penalty.....   but it was not God breaking his own rule for he did not really say "Tho shalt not kill"   he said, "Tho shalt not commit murder.....   and there is a difference.

As for what would Jesus do, I don't know of any place he said one way or the other.....   I'm not sure he would be agreeable in killing someone who was not saved and end any chance of repenting and not going to hell.....

I'll ask him when he gets back......   but when he returns it seems that he's not really opposed to it considering what he has in mind to do.....  my only problem is that can we be sure in all instances that we are killing the right person.....   I personally have  serious problems with today's justice system.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

He without sin cast the first stone. Jesus was against the death penalty.

Guest Butero

The Bible states that when someone commits murder, the land is defiled, and the only way to cleanse the land is by executing the murderer.  God instituted the death penalty, so I am convinced that Jesus would support the death penalty.  God is the same yesterday, today and forever. 

"The Green Mile" is an interesting movie.  I thought it was ok, but it is a propaganda film to make people oppose the death penalty.  I would be for simplifying it and making it as humane as possible.  I have heard Utah is considering a return to the firing squad.  That is something I have been supporting for years.  That brings about a quick death, rather than having it drag on with lethal injection, the electric chair and the gas chamber.  It would also be cheaper. 

"I and the Father are One." Care to explain how Jesus could be against the death penalty while GOD commanded it?

Guest LadyC

God was for the death penalty but Jesus was against it? oh my goodness. that's flawed thinking. God and Jesus are always in unison.

God instituted the death penalty. Jesus did not abolish that law. and God gives the authority to all governments... including those that use the death penalty. God put them in place. 

It's really not our place to question the death penalty. It isn't going to inhibit Him from doing whatever His will is in the life of the convicted. He is mighty to save, and if the person on death row has a heart that is ever going to be open to Jesus, then an expiration date isn't going to pose a problem for our Lord.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

"I and the Father are One." Care to explain how Jesus could be against the death penalty while GOD commanded it?

the Father is not the old testament entity Moses knew as God....   Jesus was that himself as John tells us that he was in the form of God before he became flesh.     Moses Aaron and 72 other people saw God in the book of Exodus but Jesus tells us that no one has seen the Father.  

We also need to keep in mind that we are not under the old covenant so we should not refer to those laws in our world today.   We are under the new covenant which we are told is better.....   we are also told that what Jesus wants is mercy in this time.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

In the OT it is under the law. It was a looking unto. The atonement had not yet been applied. Therefore eye for eye was just. Once the atonment has been applied 'by grace we receive' so no one is justified in pointing fingers and certainly as Christian we do not have a right to take someones life.

Edited by 2404

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

It is wrong but my feeling is an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth.

GOD is not wrong! You may feel it is wrong, but you are not GOD.

The Bible can never contradict itself, otherwise it is a lie.

GOD places great value on human life, that is why he mandated the death penalty, eye for an eye, and tooth for a tooth; and why it is still appropriate. If GODs laws were still obeyed, then we wouldn't have all the violence and murder that we have today.