IGNORED

Chiastic Structure

Guest Bethany

Guest Bethany

So--I'm studied 1 Samuel and many times the chiastic structure was mentioned. I understand what a chiastic structure is A, B, C, C', B', A'...etc, but what is the purpose of it? I'm sure this structure isn't used so many times in the Bible for no reason...

Wow, I have no idea what you are talking about, I just usually look at the words and what they say! (Never to ashamed to admit when I am ignorant)

Guest Bethany

It's a literary structure. So like the story of Hannah (this is copied from Constable's Commentary):

Notice the chiastic (crossing) structure of chapter 2 that focuses on Eli's blessing of Samuel's parents.

"A. The song of Hannah, concluding with reference to the Lord's anointed (2:1-10)

B. Samuel ministers before the Lord (2:11) C. The sins of Eli's sons (2:12-17)

D. Samuel ministers before the Lord (2:18-19) E. Eli blesses Samuel's parents (2:20-

21a)
D.' Samuel grows in the Lord's presence (2:21b)

C.' The sins of Eli's sons (2:22-25)
B.' Samuel grows in the Lords' presence (2:26)

A.' The oracles of the man of God, concluding with reference to the Lord's anointed (2:27-36)"48 

Guest Bethany

The reason I'm asking is because the chiastic structure was noted a lot in 1 samuel...and now I'm studying Mark and it's coming up again with Jesus' teachings....and i was just curious about the purpose/meaning behind it--if there is one. Lol

Guest shiloh357

The reason I'm asking is because the chiastic structure was noted a lot in 1 samuel...and now I'm studying Mark and it's coming up again with Jesus' teachings....and i was just curious about the purpose/meaning behind it--if there is one. Lol

IN ancient near east.  The use of chiastic structure was used for the purpose of emphasis.  it is repetitive and that helps to add emphasis to certain parts.  It is a really interesting way to read biblical narratives.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Bethany as I understand it, the Hebrews and Greeks didn't have bold, underlining and smiley faces to put emphasis on the points that they were trying to get across to us......   so this is the way that they show emphasis on what is important.....   Today if it's important we can bold it, and if it's really important we can increase the font size or color.

It's just a good way to get extra meaning about a point or subject without the helps of modern writing.   It's like God is saying,  "Hey pay attention, this is important."