• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

I have read it seems two views on this subject in the Bible. I still do not quite understand. 

Do we have the responsibility  to remove all sin ourselves or does the Holy Spirit help remove sin after one is saved?

there are verses on both sides it seems, causing confusion for me

here are some below. I sure there are others but I started with these.

LUKE 1:77
To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins.

1 Corin 3:15

If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Heb 10: 25-27

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. 
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 
It appears to me ( above ) Heb 10:26 has a connection to 1 Corin 3:15 it
may connect to 1 Peter 1:7 below.

Isa 1:16
Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
1 Peter 1:7
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
Roman 8:11-15
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 
Rev 21: 7 & 17
7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. 
17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
1 John 1:5-9
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 
Rev 3:5
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
Eph 4:22-23
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 
Phillip 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
Isa 59:1-2
1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear
2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
Job 11:14-15
14 If you put away the sin that is in your hand and allow no evil to dwell in your tent
15 then, free of fault, you will lift up your face; you will stand firm and without fear.

Guest shiloh357

Being holy is both positional and practical.   We are separated, or made holy to the Lord the moment we are saved.  Our sins are paid for, and we are saved out of the bondage of sin, once and for all time.  We are also commanded to live our lives in a way that reflects that inner reality.  We are expected  in Scripture to put way things from us that hinder our walk with the Lord.  We are called to live in practical holiness. As believers we have an inner motivation to live our lives as separated from the world and unto God.  The Lord commands us to reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive unto God.   Paul says, "I am crucified unto the world and the world unto me."

So there are two aspects to holiness.  There is positional holiness we get from the Lord the minute we are saved and there is practical holiness in which we are consciously put away sin and live unto the Lord.

Being holy is both positional and practical.   We are separated, or made holy to the Lord the moment we are saved.  Our sins are paid for, and we are saved out of the bondage of sin, once and for all time.  We are also commanded to live our lives in a way that reflects that inner reality.  We are expected  in Scripture to put way things from us that hinder our walk with the Lord.  We are called to live in practical holiness. As believers we have an inner motivation to live our lives as separated from the world and unto God.  The Lord commands us to reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive unto God.   Paul says, "I am crucified unto the world and the world unto me."

So there are two aspects to holiness.  There is positional holiness we get from the Lord the minute we are saved and there is practical holiness in which we are consciously put away sin and live unto the Lord.

Thanks shiloh, I agree with you. Now on the practical aspect is where I am confused. I agree with all your statements describing the practical aspects. However I dont see my answer.

1 Peter 5

10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish, and strengthen you.

In this verse I see one being saved then suffering for a while (probably in the old man life style) then He (God) ( after awhile ) will restore, establish, and strengthen you.

My confusion is in the "suffering for a while"

Here is my confusion; during this suffering time described in this verse It sounds like " it is all up to us without any help from God" we are to some how shed all sin and after that he will restore, establish and strengthen. It does not speak of any spiritual help. Naturally I think no one can stop all their sin is a short while all on their own with out help from God if that were possible Jesus would not have done what he saw as the only way to get us out of sin.

Even after one is pretty well established in living unto God ( Jesus ) one can stumble ( sin ) in the positional aspect we do not lose salvation. And in the practical aspect yes one would pray and ask forgiveness for that fall or stumble or even backsliding

I have been thinking that once one feels saved through the blood of Jesus; at that point all past sins are gone any lingering or stumbling sins will have to be cleansed. That is where Hebrew 10:26 would come in

one must be cleansed of fire for any stumbling back into sin even if only occasionally.

Now I have to admint I came up with this all on my own. I have no training in biblical matters other than reading the bible. So I am not sure If I understand correctly that is why i am here. 

Heb 10

26 For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

so then verse 27 would cleanse any sin committed after one is saved Now the positional ( all sin before saved )is still in effect but one must be of all sin committed after saved.

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Sorry if its confusing.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

I have read it seems two views on this subject in the Bible. I still do not quite understand. 

Do we have the responsibility  to remove all sin ourselves or does the Holy Spirit help remove sin after one is saved?

If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. 
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 

Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 
7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. 
17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear
2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
14 If you put away the sin that is in your hand and allow no evil to dwell in your tent
15 then, free of fault, you will lift up your face; you will stand firm and without fear.

Hi Coheir,

The putting away of sins is ours to do. The Spirit does assist us but is not going to make anyone sin free. We all chose whether or not to commit sins. The spirit will help guide us but is not going do it or us. We must put away sin from us as we have been, as believers set apart for God's use.

Hi Coheir,

The putting away of sins is ours to do. The Spirit does assist us but is not going to make anyone sin free. We all chose whether or not to commit sins. The spirit will help guide us but is not going do it or us. We must put away sin from us as we have been, as believers set apart for God's use.

Thank you Butch5 that answer clears confusion for one of my questions. Now if the other one can be cleared up at least some I would have a better understanding altogether.

I was confused on this and you gave me what I seek thank so much. 

I am not promoting anything I am seeking help with what confuses me. 

The only thing left is how do we accept or turn away Heb 10: 26-27

As best I can I understand, these two verses are saying sin after 

salvation will be cleansed by fire. If that is not the case I wish for a verse 

to help me see its not. If sin after salvation will be cleansed by fire we should

know this as christians.