• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/10/1991

Is smoking tobacco a sin?
I used to smoke once or atmost twice an year.
I'm not addicted to it.
Am I committing a sin

I do not think smoking tobacco is particularly a sin, but more generally perhaps, as a failure to take care of God's temple, your body. Just as eating the right foods, over eating, failure to get adequate exercise was for me.

Perhaps also, poor stewardship of your resources - are there better things you could do with the money spent on smoking?

Will pray for your success at quitting, if you decide to do so.

Guest shiloh357

Is smoking tobacco a sin?

I used to smoke once or atmost twice an year.

I'm not addicted to it.

Am I committing a sin

Smoking today carries more dangers to it because of the all of the extra chemicals they put into it.  Like Omegaman said, it is poor stewardship of your temple just like overeating or drinking soda pop.

One things for sure, it isn't a very clean habit. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

God bless you Anup:and welcome to worthy!! your question demand an answer:yes smoking is a sin,any christian who smoke is a dangerous christian,even the scent is a bad atmostphy for the Holy Spirit to operate,the bible said we should not be unequally yoke with unbelievers,if an unbeliever is smoking and you too is smoking,as a christian what ever you know that is not good please don't do it,The good Lord will grant you the grace to stop and quit it forever:tobaco is not good for a christian" it is written,you can not drink the cup of the Lord,and the cup of devils:you can not be a partaker of the Lord's table,and of the table of devils.1 corinthians 10:21" no smokers will come to me and start preaching the gospel to me and i will listen to him,the bible said by their fruit we shall know them.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Hi and welcome from me too I hope you like it here.  I don't think tobacco  is a healthy thing for you. Once a year wouldn't matter but what if you became addicted to it? It's not an easy question to answer. 

Edited by Chris.

Guest LadyC

no, smoking isn't a sin. putting a desire to smoke ahead of the well being of your family (i.e., buying a pack of cigarettes instead of food for the kids) or God is idolatry, which IS a sin. 

but having an occasional cigar, pipe, or cigarette as you are talking about doesn't qualify in any way as being a sin, and frankly i don't think in your situation it can be lumped in with poor stewardship.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.14
  • Days Won:  67

As this was posted in the Welcome Forum

**The forum's description (Worthy Welcome) is: "Shalom! Welcome to Worthy Boards, introduce yourself and join our Christian community!"

I have moved this thread to Q/A as it is a more appropriate forum. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

Just because no passage in the bible out rightly condemed tobaco or smoking;does that mean smoking is good? James 4:17 says"Anyone then,who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it,sins.(NIV) A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough. Galatians 5:9"

Guest shiloh357

Just because no passage in the bible out rightly condemed tobaco or smoking;does that mean smoking is good? James 4:17 says"Anyone then,who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it,sins.(NIV) A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough. Galatians 5:9"

Smoking is one of those "sins" that are not directly mentioned in the Bible, but fit a paradigm of self-destructive behaviors like over-eating, obesity,  ingesting soda pop, snorting cocaine, and other kinds of things we do that are not healthy.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/24/1967

Smoking a sin?  That is a good question, but is it worse than getting enraged when one is cut off in traffic.  Man sometimes can become obsessed in looking for sin.  Joyce Myers even said she was personally bringing more people to Christ when she was a smoker.  Has this become a plank and splinter issue?  Have we become a sect of stone throwers.  I say instead of focusing on whether or not smoking is a sin, I say focus on looking at the heart.  The heart is where the answer.  Jesus is Love and its home is in our hearts.