IGNORED

Please help,Drugs forbidden in the bible?????

firestormx

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envying, murders, drunkenness, reveling, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

In the above bible verses the word witchcraft is the one I am interested in. The Greek word that is translated as witchcraft is the same word we get the English word pharmacy from, if I am not mistaken. So is this specifically talking about drugs? Could this be understood as forbidding drugs, in context with the rest of scripture of course.

P.S. No, I am not saying we are not suppose to go to a doctor if we are sick.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Think of the word this way. Using medication for an ailment is not the same as taking drugs to entice a high or escape reality.

Think of the word this way. Using medication for an ailment is not the same as taking drugs to entice a high or escape reality.

So is what your saying about this word is , that going to doctor is ok ( I agree with this ). But doing drugs like cocaine or ecstasy would be wrong and sinful? Would the nicotine in cigarettes or the alcohol in beer or liquor be the same thing?

Drunkeness is specifically forbidden, consumption of alcohol is not. What is the difference between the two, if not mood and behavior changes, change of judgement etc. Seems as though it is the effect, that is the issue, and I can think of no reason to not apply the principle to other drugs in addition to the drug alcohol.

It is not possible, that the bible could list the specific drugs that could be cultivated or developed, even U.S. law cannot keep up, this is why designer drugs exist. However, laws can and are set in place, that regulate the effect, intoxication, and this is what the bible has done as well. 

Things like nicotine, the effect in terms of mood elevation or alteration are smaller, however, the principle of taking car of God's temple, the human body, can also be considered. If it is bad for one, damaging or likely to damage health, then we should probably not be indulging.

Even things like eating, are spoken against in the bible, when we become pleasure seekers rather than seekers of God. Selfishness is sin, and sometimes all we need to ponder is . . . "is this behavior one that helps others, glorifies God, or just indulges selfishness?"

Agree?

Drunkeness is specifically forbidden, consumption of alcohol is not. What is the difference between the two, if not mood and behavior changes, change of judgement etc. Seems as though it is the effect, that is the issue, and I can think of no reason to not apply the principle to other drugs in addition to the drug alcohol.

It is not possible, that the bible could list the specific drugs that could be cultivated or developed, even U.S. law cannot keep up, this is why designer drugs exist. However, laws can and are set in place, that regulate the effect, intoxication, and this is what the bible has done as well. 

Things like nicotine, the effect in terms of mood elevation or alteration are smaller, however, the principle of taking car of God's temple, the human body, can also be considered. If it is bad for one, damaging or likely to damage health, then we should probably not be indulging.

Even things like eating, are spoken against in the bible, when we become pleasure seekers rather than seekers of God. Selfishness is sin, and sometimes all we need to ponder is . . . "is this behavior one that helps others, glorifies God, or just indulges selfishness?"

Agree?

Yes, I agree with what you are saying.

I am just so tired of hearing the argument that the bible doesn't say drugs are sinful, that I started doing research into it, and came across this. Which seems to say pretty clear that doing drugs ( like cocaine or ecstasy) are sinful.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

It is not the same word as pharmacy. It has the same root as the word for pharmacy, which does not mean it is the same word nor does it have the same meaning. 

As an example, I found this on the internet:

The greek word for milk is gala (one form of it is galaktos), from which comes our words galaxy and lactose. Completely separate words with vastly different meanings.

It is not the same word as pharmacy. It has the same root as the word for pharmacy, which does not mean it is the same word nor does it have the same meaning. 

As an example, I found this on the internet:

The greek word for milk is gala (one form of it is galaktos), from which comes our words galaxy and lactose. Completely separate words with vastly different meanings.

Then what is the entire meaning in context of the original root word translated as witchcraft???? Also please demonstrate how I am wrong that the original word that is translated as witchcraft is not the word we get the English word Pharmacy from.

Edited by firestormx

Origin of PHARMACY

Late Latin pharmacia administration of drugs, from Greek pharmakeia, from pharmakeuein to administer drugs, from pharmakon magic charm, poison, drug

If you want to believe that modern pharmacy is the equivalent of witchcraft, go ahead. I hope you never have need of diabetes medicine, thyroid replacement therapy, or blood pressure medicine. You would likely die without that. 

Origin of PHARMACY

Late Latin pharmacia administration of drugs, from Greek pharmakeia, from pharmakeuein to administer drugs, from pharmakon magic charm, poison, drug

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pharmacy

If you want to believe that modern pharmacy is the equivalent of witchcraft, go ahead. I hope you never have need of diabetes medicine, thyroid replacement therapy, or blood pressure medicine. You would likely die without that.

What in my previous posts about this not being about seeing a doctor did I not make clear??? Also, I will ask again. What is the proper meaning of the original word that is translated as witchcraft if it is not drugs?????

Magic sorcery witchcraft.