IGNORED

What does this passage tell us about Jesus fulfilling the Old Law?

jerryR34

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

The people in the gospels were still under the law.

So, if  a child disobeyed/disrespted his or here parents it would be ok if they were stoned to death?  When did it become ok not to do that?

God chose Israel as a special people. He showed them a special way to live apart from non believers. As a

child grows up he may see these things in his life;

Prov 22:15

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Prov 20:11

Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right.

Prov 23:

13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. 
14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. 
Prov 29:15
The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
Prov 6:20
My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
Prov 13:24
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

If this fails and he grows up to be a man then
Deu 21
18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: 
verse 18 is speaking of a grown son

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; 
20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. 
verse 19-20 explain the grown childs actions ( certainly not God-like actions )

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.
verse 21 is living up to being a special people called by God to put away evil away from them, even if it is your son or daughter.
So first it is God and second it is your child any other order is wrong. It appears they were not stoning children as your post implies. This was a child that had grown up and still wanted a sinful life so they being called by God had to put sin away or out of their life. This child you speak of may have had 20 or more years to comply with his/her parents and God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

The law shows us right from wrong. But when we put our faith in Christ we are freed from the curse of the Law, which is death. My prior post quotes the scriptures in Galatians.

I was still bound to honor my parents wishes while living at home. When I married I passed that subordination on to my husband, but honored my parents and cared for them in other ways.

....Seems like God wants us to keep the....law....

~

It

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Romans 3:26-28

Seems

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Like God

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Wants Us

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Galatians 4:6

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

So, if  a child disobeyed/disrespted his or here parents it would be ok if they were stoned to death?  When did it become ok not to do that?

Some law has no practical values, they are rather a serious measure for education. First, it's not up to the father to do the execution. He may hand over his son to a group of law keepers though, more like a council or court. It doesn't seem that such a council will do such a kind of execution. It doesn't seem that a father will hand over his son for such an execution in the first place. 

On the other hand, from a design perspective. I speculate that such a law has the effect of filtering out those wicked. That is to say, those who finally see hell will make use of this as an excuse to fight God, then to see their doom. So be warned!

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

Some law has no practical values, they are rather a serious measure for education

Can't argue with you there...stoning someone to death will definitely educate them for the rest of their life...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Have you considered Matthew 23:34-40?

But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

I always remember where to find the response to questions like this because the phrase "Oh, you foolish Galatians" always sticks in my mind.

2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? 4 Have you suffered so much for nothing--if it really was for nothing? 5 Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard? 6 Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."

Also, after a sect of the Pharisees began trying to have the gentile believers circumcised, Peter said this, as recorded in Acts 15:  10 "Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear ? 11 "But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are."

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings jerry

Can't argue with you there...stoning someone to death will definitely educate them for the rest of their life...                                                                    posted by jerryR34

:24: Really funny,you have a good sense of Humor!  All kidding aside,you are not too far off.....part of the reasoning behind very harsh punishment and/or death penalties was/is as an example for all to see that they would know what can happen to them if they dis-obey the law.

In keeping the law & following their own traditions the Pharisees were all too often "going through the motions" for appearances,they criticized the Apostles for not washing their hands ...touching the bread with dirty hands dirties the  bread & then eating dirty bread defiles the man....      By Jesus telling them..........

Matthew 15:11

New International Version (NIV)

11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.

The Pharisees were offended by this & being called......Hypocrites!       So even as you ask about these things....so did Peter & Jesus explained............

Matthew 15:17-20

17 “Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.

So,Jesus explained what was important & what isn't.......we are not under the Law,& Jesus said that f we love Him we will obey His commands & the greatest of these is LOVE.....

King James Bible
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself                                              Galatians 5:14

John 13:34-35

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

If we love ,we will keep all the commandments.......would you steal from someone if you love them,would you lie to someone if you love them,covet what they have,their wife,would you murder them ,commit adultery? Of course not!   it is all about faith,love,grace     

King James Bible
Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day         Duet 8:11

No jerry,God does not expect us to keep the Laws set forth in Deuteronomy.......

I hope you didn't mind my little paraphrasing in between the verses of Scripture .....God Bless you & Peace be with You

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

jerryR34,

You are right.  Jesus said follow the law and kill your kids.  Your problem is that OT and NT law is beaten by obeying authority.  Kids, wives, and slaves must obey their parents, husbands, and masters as if they were God...but the free men must obey their rulers as if they were God...including their laws.

Edit:  That's why the Jews couldn't kill the adulteress or kill Jesus.

Edited by Trinitron