• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

What does it mean to ask God for a sign after God made a promise to you or after you heard the voice of God,do you guys think it is biblical to ask God for a sign,i was reading a thread posted by someone,in one of the forums,the person said that he knew that asking God for a sign is a sin,i read all the replies no body proved his believe that; it is a sin to ask God for sign wrong,does that means that asking God for a sign is a sin,or does it meaning that the person is doubting God or questioning God's ability to perform His promise,if you hear God boldly and expresselly telling you that he will bless you with your heart desire before this month runs out,and you ask Him to show you a sign,does that meaning you are doubting Him or you are sinning against God.

Guest shiloh357

I don't need a sign.  I have the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit and I have the Word of God.  He speaks to me that way.

When you have a relationship with God, asking for a sign is like having a girlfriend but wanting a picture of her more than wanting her.

Guest LadyC

i think it indicates a lack of faith when we ask God for a sign. but.... sometimes we DO lack a little faith! but is it biblical? well, yeah. but just because there is biblical text that says someone asked for a sign (and God gave the sign) doesn't mean that it's RIGHT... it just means that the guy who asked was as human as you and i are, struggled with his faith sometimes, and asked for a sign. whether that is right or wrong isn't my place to decide. but the first person that comes to mind is Gideon, who asked God one night for a specific sign.... that when the dew fell it would fall only on his sleeping fleece, but the ground would be dry. that still wasn't enough convincing for him and the next night he asked God to let the dew fall everywhere BUT the sleeping fleece. (i may have those two signs backwards.)

another example was abraham's servant, who was sent to go find a wife for isaac. when he neared his destination, he asked God for a very specific sign so that he would know what young woman he was to return with. just as with gideon, this servant's request for a sign was granted. 

in isaiah chapter 7, the Lord speaks to ahaz and TELLS him to ask for a sign. ahaz, however, declined, saying he would not test God in such a manner.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Sometimes something is so important that I think it's ok to ask for a sign. For instance when you really want to do something and don't trust your own thinking.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I think you're more likely to receive a sign when you don't ask for one. A bit like the people who dream of Jesus and then become saved. I believe God may send a sign to the really desperate, but if you ask him for one you're not always likely to get one.

God will send us a sign if it is his wish. You can't ask him to perform tricks for you.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

I don't believe it's wrong to ask God for a sign, such as a confirmation, direction, asking to show someone He's real, praying for a miracle. etc. That's biblical and the bible is filled with examples of those kind of signs. When you ask in pride and unbelief, that's a different story.

I know many take the Pharisees asking for a sign as proof that we should never ask God for a sign, but that is taking it completely out of context.

When the Pharisee's asked for a sign, they asked in unbelief and in anger.  Now, context. The Pharisee's were expecting the Messiah to overthrow the Roman empire and rule over Israel. They were under Roman oppression and if Jesus was their Messiah, He would be the one to deliver them from that oppression.

Matthew 12:39 But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

What kind of sign? Not a miracle because Jesus just made them mad because He healed someone on Sabbath. He also had a habit of opening blind eyes, multiplying food, making the paralyzed walk as as sign He can forgive sins. The sign they wanted from Him was not a miracle. In Luke, he just finished sending out the 70 and they returned testifying of the miracles God has done. Now, lets look at this in Luke.

Luke 11:29 And while the crowds were thickly gathered together, He began to say, “This is an evil generation. It seeks a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah the prophet. 30 For as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so also the Son of Man will be to this generation. 31 The queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with the men of this generation and condemn them, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here. 32 The men of Nineveh will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and indeed a greater than Jonah is here.

So, Instead of rising up overthrowing Rome, he died for three days and extended Salvation to Rome through repentance just as Jonah was a sign to the Ninevites. Then, Jesus will go on to say, instead of overthrowing the Gentiles, the Gentiles will receive mercy and rise up in judgement against them.

Guest shiloh357

I can go straight to the Holy Spirit and speak with Him.  I have no need for signs of anything.  He has given us everything we need in the Scriptures and through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

In the Bible people asked for signs but they were not people indwelt by the Holy Spirit who needed external confirmation.  We don't live in that economy any longer.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  386
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  12/20/1991

Asking for a sign sometimes is needed. before I was saved I was depressed and lonely I asked God to please show me he is real and that i am not alone in this world. I didnt expect an answer but he did I got to meet him that very night.

I dont know if its always lack of faith but maybe confirmation as we may be worried its really our own thoughts not him speaking.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Asking for a sign sometimes is needed. before I was saved I was depressed and lonely I asked God to please show me he is real and that i am not alone in this world. I didnt expect an answer but he did I got to meet him that very night.

I dont know if its always lack of faith but maybe confirmation as we may be worried its really our own thoughts not him speaking.

I think signs are more for non-believers. A believer doesn't need them.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  386
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  12/20/1991

I think signs are more for non-believers. A believer doesn't need them.

Perhaps a mature believer doesnt but I think one with a weaker less mature faith might.