• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

Does anyone ever feel funny calling a priest father. When I hear people calling a priest father I feel like it's disrespecting God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

I personally, will not do it.  Mat 23:9  And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Christian's are equal....only God has supreme authority. Only God  has a right to give laws; to declare doctrines that shall bind the conscience; to punish disobedience. Christ taught us all  that the source of all life and truth was God, and that we should not to seek or receive a title which properly belongs to him. This of course, does not mean not to call our parents father / mother....in the parental sense....that is accepted and used in scripture.

Exo 20:12  Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Mat 15:4  For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

Commentary on Matthew 23:9 - (source Gills Commentary)

Not but that children may, and should call their natural parents, fathers; and such who have been instrumental in the conversion of souls, may be rightly called by them their spiritual fathers; as servants and scholars also, may call those that are over them, and instruct them, their masters: our Lord does not mean, by any of these expressions, to set aside all names and titles, of natural and civil distinction among men, but only to reject all such names and titles, as are used to signify an authoritative power over men's consciences, in matters of faith and obedience; in which, God and Christ are only to be attended to.

God Bless,

Hip

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,792
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It is the escape from second death by second birth and the reality- it was The Father

that sent The Son by The Fathers Will... securely adopting us Through The Son as sons.

Mark 14:36

36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup

from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

KJV

Romans 8:15

15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received

the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

KJV

Galatians 4:6

6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts,

crying, Abba, Father.

KJV

Anything else would be a travesty to the gift of The Father... Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

God I call Father and my Dad..... that's it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings tigger

Praise the Lord!!!!Yes,I have a problem with it because the Word of God tells us specifically ,not to

Mat 23:9  And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.                                              KJV

.God is my Father.I used to refer to my Dad as my father but I always called my earthly father 'Daddy".......but priests,yeah-I don't like it at all .   I kind of cringe when  hear it,I also feel as you do,that it is irreverant to our Heavenly Father 

This is probably stupid because I will call upon God as "Abba"(which means Daddy really) but  have a friend that refers to God as "Daddy" & it drives me nuts,I just feel that it is not respectful enough to ALMIGHTY GOD!!!!.....I don't say anything ,she is a very good friend of mine & she does know how I feel and I know how she is passionate for our Lord but I just don't like it.Hey,I even cringe when I see God spelled with a small "g" ,LOL,or satan spelled with a capital "S"(just my 2 cents)

With love-in Christ ,Kwik

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Blessings tigger

Praise the Lord!!!!Yes,I have a problem with it because the Word of God tells us specifically ,not to

Mat 23:9  And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.                                              KJV

.God is my Father.I used to refer to my Dad as my father but I always called my earthly father 'Daddy".......but priests,yeah-I don't like it at all .   I kind of cringe when  hear it,I also feel as you do,that it is irreverant to our Heavenly Father 

This is probably stupid because I will call upon God as "Abba"(which means Daddy really) but  have a friend that refers to God as "Daddy" & it drives me nuts,I just feel that it is not respectful enough to ALMIGHTY GOD!!!!.....I don't say anything ,she is a very good friend of mine & she does know how I feel and I know how she is passionate for our Lord but I just don't like it.Hey,I even cringe when I see God spelled with a small "g" ,LOL,or satan spelled with a capital "S"(just my 2 cents)

With love-in Christ ,Kwik

mat 23:9  tells me I have one Father also known as God the Father.

It does not say I have a Dad or Daddy named God. It also does not say I have a husband named God.

On earth I have a Dad or Daddy; in Heaven I have the one and only Father.

My Father

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Galatians 4:6

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

One time a Catholic priest told me I was reading scripture wrong when I refused to call him father.  My response was that he could be right, but I would ask Jesus who was right.

Jesus told me that it was dangerous to be called father, and to call another father.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Tigger398 :)

I would never call a priest "father," because of the same verse that Hippie333 mentioned:

Mat 23:9  And call no man your father (in the "God" The Father sense) upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

However, I have looked to faithfully reach out to a few Priest and many a Roman Catholic with the True Gospel over the years!
With the "Priest" on occasion, I have spent a few hours going over the Bible with them, as they present me at length with their man made religious liturgy.
I find them a tough crowd, but I'm always in hopes to see a few come to the knowledge of the Gospel, as represented solely in God's Word! :)

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

You mean a priest don't know the gospel.