• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

shiloh,  actually, when I was in school I was taught you cannot disprove a thing scientifically. You can only prove a thing. Otherwise I can say there are elephants with 5 legs. Prove me wrong. No matter what anyone says, I can simply insist they never saw one. But I did and so the whole world should accept this as a fact. This is ludicrous and I made it that way to demonstrate my point. The burden is on me to prove elephants with 5 legs exist. Since I can't, no one should believe me. But today's young people think science can be used to prove a thing doesn't exist. That's a contradiction in logic. They have to prove the Big Bang theory is true or evolution is true. I can't imagine how the Big Bang can be proven. But evolution can be proven and in over 200 years it has not been proven. Good science says abandon the theory and test other theories. It hasn't been abandoned. Instead they made a religion out of it. I wish all Christians had as much faith in God that these evolution people have in their theory. I dare say we'd move mountains.

Oh yeah?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I am still noodling over that post.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

The Big Bang was never observed and has never been replicated.

That one has me rolling on the floor!  Replicate the Big Bang???!!!!  This is what is called creatio ex nihilo

And God did observe it.

http://textsincontext.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/creation-young-earth-ham-nye-genesis-one/

Augustine on Genesis 1: Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian,  presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking  nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn.  The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men.  If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods on facts which they themselves have learned from experience and the light of reason?

http://noanswersingenesis.org.au/saintaugustine.htm

Calvin on Genesis 1: “He who would learn astronomy…let him go elsewhere….”

”Moses wrote in a popular style things which without instruction, all ordinary persons, endued with common sense, are able to understand; but astronomers investigate with great labor whatever the sagacity of the human mind can comprehend. Nevertheless, this study is not to be reprobated, nor this science to be condemned, because some frantic persons are wont boldly to reject whatever is unknown to them. For astronomy is not only pleasant, but also very useful to be known: it cannot be denied that this art unfolds the admirable wisdom of God.”

:D

There is no worse screen to block out the Spirit than confidence in our own intelligence. John Calvin

Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, Luke 24:45

~

Calvin on Genesis 1: “He who would learn astronomy…let him go elsewhere….”

”Moses wrote in a popular style things which without instruction, all ordinary persons, endued with common sense, are able to understand; but astronomers investigate with great labor whatever the sagacity of the human mind can comprehend. Nevertheless, this study is not to be reprobated, nor this science to be condemned, because some frantic persons are wont boldly to reject whatever is unknown to them. For astronomy is not only pleasant, but also very useful to be known: it cannot be denied that this art unfolds the admirable wisdom of God.”

~

The Admirable Wisdom Of God On Genesis 1:

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:8-11

And On Its Jesus

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9

And On The True Master Of Astronomy

Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Job 38:31

But Who Is This Calvin?

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. Luke 17:10

Man's mind is like a store of idolatry and superstition; so much so that if a man believes his own mind it is certain that he will forsake God and forge some idol in his own brain. John Calvin

For all the gods of the people are idols: but the LORD made the heavens. 1 Chronicles 16:26

Ah~! That Calvin

:D

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

There are many ideas in science that we cannot replicate or directly observe.  That does not mean we do not apply scientific thinking in our interpretation of the evidence.  It is much the same, in a way, as the Faith.  Non repeatable events occurred, yet we look at the evidence and make our minds up they have indeed taken place.  

I think the Big Bang is a very good model;  it explains some of the evidence we have observed and measured.  To say that it precludes God is nonsense.  It may well be thrown out of the window sooner or later. . . such is the nature of science.  Recall the Steady State model for example.

Very well said Wolf.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I don't see the Big Bang as opposed to the Bible. Just as long as we cut it short of life forming by random molecules. The incredible complexity of atoms, neutrons, protons, etc, plus the even more complex way chemicals work in our cells, tells me this was all created by a God who's intelligence dwarf ours as much as we dwarf an ant.

But why can't the BB be the way God created the universe. I think it can. And I don't see that as a problem. I often think Genesis picks up where God started to cool down the mass we call Earth, and carries on from there. And since the Bible says with God a day can be as 1000 years (or maybe even 1 million) the 7 days of Genesis can be any amount of time.

If we have evidence that the BB isn't true, which is quite possible, then what theory is replacing it?

As stated earlier, I think BB is a good model and agree with you that perhaps that is how God did it. But I do not know if it is how God did it. I heard a famous apologist refer to it as if it were indeed the case. But I would caution against that, as it well may be a discarded or modified theory years from now. And then we would appear foolish.