• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Is it sin to obey God out of fear?

Why you obey is not important, just obey.

Nonsense!

You cannot Love that which you fear.

Fear?  You believe I obey God because he is fearful? 

Well Jesus did tell us to be scared of the one who can destroy both body and soul.  But that is not why I obey God.

No, I glorify Jesus because he is God.

I have always wanted to be able to live a righteous life, and only God can make that possible.

It was not until Jesus came to me personally, and gave me his Holy Spirit was my desire to live righteously able to come true.

Jesus is my personal friend, he is my doctor, my teacher, my protector, and much more of a friend than anyone else ever could.

I don’t obey God out of fear.  No I obey God because my whole being wants to always please him, and in doing so I am so alive.

My prayer every day is that God’s will, will be my will forever, and ever.

John said where there is fear there is no love.  One who is fearful of God could never be righteous.

And by that you just contradicted your first statement.

Please be a bit more specific in your answers OK brother?

And yes one can be fearful of God depending on the scriptural interpretation of fearing God. But raw naked fear. No!

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

Is it sin to obey God out of fear?

Why you obey is not important, just obey.

Nonsense!

You cannot Love that which you fear.

Fear?  You believe I obey God because he is fearful? 

Well Jesus did tell us to be scared of the one who can destroy both body and soul.  But that is not why I obey God.

No, I glorify Jesus because he is God.

I have always wanted to be able to live a righteous life, and only God can make that possible.

It was not until Jesus came to me personally, and gave me his Holy Spirit was my desire to live righteously able to come true.

Jesus is my personal friend, he is my doctor, my teacher, my protector, and much more of a friend than anyone else ever could.

I don’t obey God out of fear.  No I obey God because my whole being wants to always please him, and in doing so I am so alive.

My prayer every day is that God’s will, will be my will forever, and ever.

John said where there is fear there is no love.  One who is fearful of God could never be righteous.

And by that you just contradicted your first statement.

Please be a bit more specific in your answers OK brother?

And yes one can be fearful of God depending on the scriptural interpretation of fearing God. But raw naked fear. No!

(1 John 4:18) “ there is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  386
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/20/1991

I fear God but not fear of terror but awe and respect of him.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Jesse, your question about serving God because you are afraid of going to hell suggests that you really don’t understand God’s way of salvation.

The only way, God’s Way, to redeem mankind back to Himself is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Do you know what that means?

If you have trusted in the Gospel message for your salvation then you will not go to hell for any reason.

If you have not trusted in the Gospel message for your salvation then you will spend eternity in hell no matter how much you serve God.

God does not ask us to serve Him so we can escape hell. He asks us to believe in that message which will result in forgiveness of our sin and a changed life where we serve Him out of a sense of gratitude instead of fear.

You are right, the thought of spending eternity in hell is scary. That fear drove me to find the truth about God’s Way of salvation and I found that truth many years ago. The truth I found in God’s Word changed my life forever; it’s called the Gospel. John 14:6 Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one can come to the Father except by me” explains that message. There are many other scriptures that could be used to explain the Gospel but John 14:6 is my favorite bible verse so I used it here.

If you do not understand how to have a genuine relationship with God through Jesus Christ then may I suggest that you look to God to show you the truth about the Gospel while reading the Gospel of John and the book of Romans. That is what I did and God, the Holy Spirit, didn’t waste any time showing me exactly what I needed to find the assurance & peace of knowing that my sins are forgiven and my home in heaven is secure in the blood that Jesus shed on the cross.

If I am wrong in assuming that you don't understand the truth about the Gospel, then please forgive me and just ignore this post.

Hope you find the same peace & assurance that I found about 40 years ago, which is even stronger today than it was then.

• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  493
  • Days Won:  1

Hi John 14:6

Jesse and I have already dealt with the issue of his salvation. So there's nothing more to worry about :)

~

Jesse and I have already dealt with the issue of his salvation. So there's nothing more to worry about :)

~

And Yet....

Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17

~

And Yet....

Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17

Yes, Brother Joe, I was just reassuring John 14:6. I'm glad that he is pitching in :)

~

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Well, my goal is to obey out of love. So if you can, pray for me.

Well, my goal is to obey out of love. So if you can, pray for me.

I am, and I will.

God bless you, Jesse.

~