IGNORED

Why rewards if heaven is the assured goal?

Cross Reference

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Works are simply the reality of God within us securing the performance of His Word

in the world around us-> so that seeing the outworking of that Word they might come

to that Word and be born from It... Love, Steven

I like that. however, it raises the question of "what is the reality" that it be the standard by which we live? So many religious folk equate 'serving the church' with its 'chicken dinner' social mentality as serving God. Some other few might take it step further to include, 'stuffing envelopes'. But, I do understand and believe you have a grasp on what it is supposed to be in the 'naked sense'. ;)

The reality 'IS' that which God Himself keeps forever... The Essence of God is neither of created nor destructive format and cannot

be encompassed except by God Himself without end... He 'IS' The Unique and there is no other and He directs my heart to love the things He

Loves and to hate the things He hates, I do not do this perfectly but press toward that mark of perfection, so that by His Word I will be

kept by Him forever along with the everlasting of Himself by His Love...

So when I say Love, Steven it is also with this reality in mind!

A little too mystical for me to grasp, I'm afraid. For me, learning to love Him as my Father makes everything, incidental.. Jesus teaches me that.

Sorry wasn't meant to be...

There is no mystery spoken here that is not revealed in Christ Jesus! In The Writings of the NT...

Col 1:27

27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this

mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

KJV

The incarnation Jn 1, Jn 6:41

Mystery of iniquity 2 Thes 2:7

Marriage of Jesus to His Church Eph 5:22

Jews and Gentiles in one body Eph 3:4-6

Final restoration of the Jews Isa 11, Rev 20:1-9

Reserrection of the body 1 Cor 15:51

Love, Steven

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

How do we find out what it is if we have no "intimacy" with Him?

We need to grow in our personal relations with Christ through faith to have any "intimacy"  How does one grow in faith? 

Romans 10:17

So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Keep in mind that hearing is the only means which scripture used to be passed from one to another in those days., Today, we have His word provided for us to read, study and meditate on.

What does this faith produce? We find that answer in 2 Peter 1:5-11

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Paul wrote that he lived "by the *faith of the Son of God", cf Gal.2:20. Might we see that that is the enabling gift of intimacy intended to be made fast to us by the Holy Spirit, per 2 Pet 1:5-11?

*[not one's elementary "saving faith" here __ and yet it could be if that was the actuality of his salvation]

Edited by Cross Reference

Perhaps this analogy, from Chambers, might give us a bit of understanding:

What do you see in your clouds?

"Behold, He cometh with clouds". Rev. 1:7.

In the Bible clouds are always connected with God. Clouds are those sorrows or sufferings or providences, within or without our personal lives, which seem to dispute the rule of God. It is by those very clouds that the Spirit of God is teaching us how to walk by faith. If there were no clouds, we should have no faith. ‘The clouds are but the dust of our Father’s feet.’ The clouds are a sign that He is there. What a revelation it is to know that sorrow and bereavement and suffering are the clouds that come along with God! God cannot come near without clouds, He does not come in clear shining.

It is not true to say that God wants to teach us something in our trials; through every cloud He brings, He wants us to unlearn something. God’s purpose in the cloud is to simplify our belief until our relationship to Him is exactly that of a child—God and my own soul, other people are shadows. Until other people become shadows, clouds and darkness will be mine every now and again. Is the relationship between myself and God getting simpler than ever it has been?
There is a connection between the strange providences of God and what we know of Him, and we have to learn to interpret the mysteries of life in the light of our knowledge of God. Unless we can look the darkest, blackest fact full in the face without damaging God’s character, we do not yet know Him.
“They feared as they entered the cloud.…” Is there anyone “save Jesus only” in your cloud? If so, it will get darker; you must get to the place where there is “no one any more save Jesus only.”

Chambers, O. (1986). My utmost for his highest: Selections for the year. Grand Rapids, MI: Oswald Chambers Publications; Marshall Pickering.

On Topic:

Why should we care about rewards if heaven is the secured goal? Why should rewards be any sort of motivation? However, without "works", can we really come into the fullness of the reason set in the purposes of God for having created us __given to us as commands that only intimacy with Him can perfect in us the obedience of Jesus Christ?

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

A few of the rewards will be the crown of righteousness for all who loved loved His appearing,

the crown of life for all who endure temptation and have been approved,

the crown of glory for the pastors who are a good example to their congregation,

the crown of life for those who endure tribulation and are faithful to the end.  2 Ti,4:8, Ja 1:12 1Pe 5:4  Re 2:10,  

I have also heard of a soul winners crown in Da 12:3

and those who have compassion on the lowly also get a reward, those who lend without expecting to be repaid,

those who plant the seeds of the Gospel and those who nourish or water it, also receive rewards.  

However any good thing in us is there because Christ lives in us.  He moves us by His Spirit to do any good that we have done, and He gives us the power and strength to overcome.  So we end up casting all our rewards and crowns at the feet of Jesus.  He is the One who deserves all the credit.  In me there is no good thing--but Jesus.  It all ends up being a tribute and act of worship to God.  Rev:4:10

I have never worked for any rewards,  In fact at the time, enduring hardship is not pleasant, even for Christ's sake.  But I do look forward to honoring people who have been much used of God, or who have suffered greatly like the martyrs, and who have been examples to us.  I am thankful for what God has done in their lives.  

A few of the rewards will be the crown of righteousness for all who loved loved His appearing,

the crown of life for all who endure temptation and have been approved,

the crown of glory for the pastors who are a good example to their congregation,

the crown of life for those who endure tribulation and are faithful to the end.  2 Ti,4:8, Ja 1:12 1Pe 5:4  Re 2:10,  

I have also heard of a soul winners crown in Da 12:3

and those who have compassion on the lowly also get a reward, those who lend without expecting to be repaid,

those who plant the seeds of the Gospel and those who nourish or water it, also receive rewards.  

However any good thing in us is there because Christ lives in us.  He moves us by His Spirit to do any good that we have done, and He gives us the power and strength to overcome.  So we end up casting all our rewards and crowns at the feet of Jesus.  He is the One who deserves all the credit.  In me there is no good thing--but Jesus.  It all ends up being a tribute and act of worship to God.  Rev:4:10

I have never worked for any rewards,  In fact at the time, enduring hardship is not pleasant, even for Christ's sake.  But I do look forward to honoring people who have been much used of God, or who have suffered greatly like the martyrs, and who have been examples to us.  I am thankful for what God has done in their lives.  

I believe the "crown of life" is for now; this life __ not later. Jesus said: "I come that you might life more abundantly". And if we keep 2 Peter 1:1-11, it will happen.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

But, for the Christian who has been assured and re-assured of his salvation, why are works necessary? What works would they be that God would require them and even judge the quality of them?

Why would He call that one who produces none, "slothful"? ___and why would any Christian call it  all "works salvation"?

WE read in Ephesians 2:8-10 the reason why. People skim over the last sentence.

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

God created us for works in Him so others will come to know His salvation and enjoy eternity with Him. I have to wonder where we all would be if others had been "slothful" when it came to us. Would we of come to know Christ?

If we love God with all our heart, mind soul and strength, will we not be eager to do His will?

One can only love God by obeying him.

But, for the Christian who has been assured and re-assured of his salvation, why are works necessary? What works would they be that God would require them and even judge the quality of them?

Why would He call that one who produces none, "slothful"? ___and why would any Christian call it  all "works salvation"?

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

God created us for works in Him so others will come to know His salvation and enjoy eternity with Him. I have to wonder where we all would be if others had been "slothful" when it came to us. Would we of come to know Christ?

If we love God with all our heart, mind soul and strength, will we not be eager to do His will?

Obedience being the evidence. Why should that ever be considered, "works salvation" by some __ and yet. . . ?

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Obedience being the evidence. Why should that ever be considered, "works salvation" by some __ and yet. . . ?

I do not why you struggle with this so much! It is a simple stated fact of Scripture

Titus 3:5-7

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his

mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the

Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our

Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs

according to the hope of eternal life.

KJV

Eph 2:8-10

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:

it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, <- Salvation has occured

the result of that occurrence -> created in Christ Jesus unto good works,

which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

KJV

It is why when we first begin as newborns we work out our salvation in

fear and trembling cause babies don't do to much work with God's blessing

of fruit of dying to self but as we grow in the love of God so the obedience

and as that perfect Love increases so also the fear is cast out...

1 John 4:18

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear:

because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

KJV

Love, Steven

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

It is so sad that people believe what the so called Reformers preached. People want to believe their false understanding of Paul's writings which are leading people away from God.

Can't people see that it did not take God almost sixteen hundred years to bring people to the true understanding of what Jesus taught?

John taught that if one sins he or she has never known God. Yet the Reformers say it is work to not sin.

To live God's Word is not one's work, but God's work in and through him or her.

(1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen him or known him.”