IGNORED

How far do you drive to get to church?

Guest kronborg

Guest kronborg

I'm asking because it's not always the congregations closest to ones home that are the best. I've always hold to the idea that one should try to be loyal to the local church, but now i realise that it is not always the best. Neither for the individual or for the body of Christ. See, if you attend and support a bad church only because it's nearby, then you risk your one spiritual and emotional Health, and you also support something that God perhaps is not as pleased with. So for me, i will not let the distance be the sole factor, cause it is so important for you and me to be in a good congregation, that it is well worth the extra gasolin, and time to get there. 65 miles is not to far for me. How far do you travel?

Guest LadyC

i think you should go where you are spiritually fed. me, personally, i'm still trying to find a church within a three mile range that will nourish me. when i am not visiting churches, i watch calvary chapel's service on roku. i just learned there is a calvary chapel just up the road a mile or so... i'm looking forward to trying it out. it's not so much the mileage that concerns me, i just don't like getting up early, and i don't enjoy driving as much as i did in my younger years. so one that is very close to home will suit me just fine, i hope.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

60 km round trip. Whats that in miles? 40 or so?

It's because of where I live. A bit "rural" you could say.

You can see why...http://isimangaliso.com/

Guest shiloh357

I'm asking because it's not always the congregations closest to ones home that are the best. I've always hold to the idea that one should try to be loyal to the local church, but now i realise that it is not always the best. Neither for the individual or for the body of Christ. See, if you attend and support a bad church only because it's nearby, then you risk your one spiritual and emotional Health, and you also support something that God perhaps is not as pleased with. So for me, i will not let the distance be the sole factor, cause it is so important for you and me to be in a good congregation, that it is well worth the extra gasolin, and time to get there. 65 miles is not to far for me. How far do you travel?

Distance isn't important.  What's important is that they are a church dedicated to sound, biblical theology and expository preaching of God's word.  Too many people have a consumer mentality about church and they need find a church where they can grow and get involved.  The first consideration needs to be their theology.   No matter how fun  a church is, or how many activities they have, if they are not a gospel preaching church, they aren't worth your time.

Guest kronborg

Yes, i too don't like driving to much but there is of course vast differences in how many churches there is in a given region. Where i live there are 3 congregations at 11 miles distance. That's the closest, but not the best.

Guest kronborg

I agree about the theology, shiloh, but i also believe that the preaching and teaching needs to show itself in practice, like nurturing good fellowship,having small care-groups, and of course some sort of outreach. The worship should also reflect the preaching by being joyfull and free( 2 Cor 3:17)

Guest shiloh357

I agree about the theology, shiloh, but i also believe that the preaching and teaching needs to show itself in practice, like nurturing good fellowship,having small care-groups, and of course some sort of outreach. The worship should also reflect the preaching by being joyfull and free( 2 Cor 3:17)

I agree with that.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Amen. It should be a rounded church based on scripture, and spirit driven.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

11 blocks

5 miles (8 km) or so. I'm stuck on mass transit, so its either bus, bike, or catch a ride with someone.

It took me a year and a half of visiting churches to find where I go now. Yeah. It took that long to find a church where the Bible is still held as God's word, even in the Phoenix metro area which is huge.

Edited by walla299