JohnD

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

...would you only observe their grief for their loss?

....would you capitalize on their truly facing death and mortality for a change and a chance to share the Gospel?

We are ALL priests of God in Christ (1 Peter 2:3-9, Revelation 1:6, Revelation 5:10) and are to be ready (prepared) to give an answer in season or out of season to every man a reason for the hope that is within us...

So... how would you personally preach a funeral if you were called upon to do so?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

It would greatly depend the person who died. How they lived. What they did with their life. Who they helped. And most importantly rather or not they were saved at their time of death.  I say if they were saved at their time of death, then this should be a time to rejoice! For they are finely free from this crappy world and all its problems. And they are now in a place of peace and rest. While we morn over them because we will miss them. We know that someday if are hearts our right with God, will will join them again in that beautiful place where there is no hunger, no more pain, no more tears, and no more tax returns to fill out!

What I would say if the person was unsaved I have no ideal. I don't think I would be very good at that.  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  757
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/24/1957

JohnDB,

many many years ago, i worked for a pharmacy, "doc" was the pharmisist , and wise...i was faced with going to my very first funeral and was very concerned about what to say to the grieving...more importantly what not to say to them....as i didn't want to make their grief worse if that was possible...

"Doc" bless his wise heart told me this "there are no right words at a time like this"nothing that you say is going to change the fact that their loved one isn't with them any longer

As the years have gone by I have witnessed several funerals.....If the deceased loved one wasn't saved,it will only cause more harm to make an issue of this......remember their grieving for someone that they loved.

I have also witnessed how NOT to preach a funeral message,and i can tell you i wanted to jump those pews and smack that preacher!!!

by thetime that preacher was done,he had basically told the grieving parent's of this child that it was GODS FAULT that their child had died!...robbing those parents of the very source of comfort that they needed to cling to ...GOD

So you asked how would I preach a funeral.....

JohnDB, i would preach it with compassion,loving kindness and share their tears of grief.

GBU Brother!

~~~MISS~~~

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Quote: JohnDB "...would you only observe their grief for their loss?"

Never, I always in the love of Christ, have their eternal souls in mind. Although recognizing their grief at the same time.

Quote: JohnDB "....would you capitalize on their truly facing death and mortality for a change and a chance to share the Gospel?"

Always looking to present the Gospel in it's straight forwardness, as represented in the Bible.
When I have not spoken up directly, I'll stand outside, passing along Christian tracts with a sound Biblical message of repentance towards God, and Salvation being found in Christ alone.
The Christian tracts are especially helpful when I have come across funerals that have had Satanic New Age "Preachers."
I have been to three such funerals in the past, where the false preacher was a wolf in sheep’s clothing...

One particularly false preacher comes to mind, who, after the funeral, I presented the Gospel to him outside of the funeral home.
He then proceeded to flame me loudly, onlookers wondering what in the world was going on... :o
Demonic spiritual manifestation was what was going on... He then jumped in his SUV and sped off, making a point of stopping on the street and flaming me yelling through his window one more time. I simply spoke loudly in his direction: "Repent!" He then sped off...
Followed up with my family, praying again for all, asking the Good Lord to use the tracts, and save this false preacher.

Quote: JohnDB "We are ALL priests of God in Christ (1 Peter 2:3-9, Revelation 1:6, Revelation 5:10) and are to be ready (prepared) to give an answer in season or out of season to every man a reason for the hope that is within us..."

Indeed, as Christians we should all be ready to give that answer!

Quote: JohnDB "So... how would you personally preach a funeral if you were called upon to do so?"

I was at a very difficult memorial not long ago, one that was done in an Episcopalian church setting.  After a grueling hour of liturgy, prayers to the dead, not partaking of the false Eucharist, and in light of many other devilish things, intact with a homosexual woman priest with her rainbow cross...
I finally got a chance to preach.  I looked prayerfully to reach out to all the lost in attendance, which as far as I could tell was nearly if not everybody.
Kept the message simple, noting that the deceased had made their decision and it was now permanent in the sense of eternity. I gracefully brought up a number of rightly divided Scripture verses expounding on the free gift of Salvation there for all in attendance, should they repent and believe on the True Gospel.
I thank God, the Lord's conviction was upon the majority in my hearing. Afterwords, a looong moment of silence.

Upon stepping down from the raised stage, the main "father/priest" of the false church had a look of hatred my way.
So goes the saying "if looks could kill..."

After the memorial, my family politely stood outside, passing along Gospel tracts to all who would receive one. :)

Guest shiloh357

There is no formula for preaching a funeral in that it really does matter if the deceased is lost or saved.

If I were preaching the funeral of an unsaved  person, think I would say something to the effect of, "John has passed on into eternity and I believe if John could speak to us today, he would tell us that there is a heaven and there is hell.  And I believe that if John were able to say anything to us, he would tell us how important it is that each of here today make sure that we know Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior."   I would then use that as a platform to preach the Gospel for duration of my message at the funeral. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I think it would really depend on the person who died.....   if they were a Christian, I would basically preach it as a celebration for that person and speak of the things they had done and that if those in the room were born again they would see that person again.

If they were not christians then I would just point out their good side and try and make the family as comfortable as possible.   Funerals are really for the people who survive a person.

Then there are people like my Uncle Boug who was a low life dark side certifiably bad person.    The preacher at his funeral spoke the raw open truth about him and told his family and kids that there was no doubt in anyone's mind that old Boug was burning in hell and deserved all the pain he was going to receive........   he then told by name his kids and his wife and told them that if they did not change their ways and come to the Lord they would be joining Uncle Boug at their passing also.   I don't know for sure if my three cousins actually were ever saved, for we haven't been around each other much since, but everyone tells me that they change for the good that day.

I think if a person was going to preach a funeral I would think one should ask the Holy Spirit for guidance for what to tell the family.   Personally I don't like going to funerals that end up being a preaching service for everyone to come to the Lord.....    with very few exceptions.

Guest shiloh357

A funeral is one of the best times to preach the Gospel.  You have a captive audience for one, AND they are all being reminded of their own mortality and that one day it will be them in that casket.  It is when people are faced with the cold hard reality of death that they are likely to be the most receptive to the Gospel.  Part of the Gospel is also the victory we have over death, that for the Christian death is swallowed up in victory.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

By the life that they lived.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to Everyone....

I lost my dad not long ago & I was lead (unexpectedly) to get up & give my dads eulogy ......I shared with everyone there things that no one knew about my dad & what he meant to me,how much he meant to others and what he contributed to everyone he met along his life's journey .I know it was the Holy spirit that gave me the strength to speak & the words to say..........(here is just what was said in closing).......................

Hardly a day went by (my entire life) that I did not speak to my dad,& that is what I will miss the most,hearing his voice "Hi Babe"....Well ,these last months we had many a conversation about our Lord & Savior"Jesus Christ"-that is the Blessed Assurance that my father is now in the Presence of God.As I say "good bye",he is greeted by many of his loved one's who guide him to our Lord Jesus,,,,,,and through Him my father is gifted  eternal life....It should be a time for celebration but I am selfish,growing up i never learned to share my dad & so I will miss him so.......

As long as each & every one of us knows Jesus then we can all one day be re-united.....IF NOT,then it is time to put things in order because our lives are"but a vapor"..............So,let's just say "farewell" for now & remember with reverence the great man that he was....and as he has influenced so many lives(family & friends)he will never be forgotten

I'll see you soon Daddy...............

So,I believe God presents us with every opportunity to "preach"the Gospel......we only have to follow his lead,,,,,,there was not a dry eye there as his only child(me) gave his eulogy & Jesus Name was spoken in every conversation I had with each person that came up to me afterwards,the Holy Spirit was moving in a powerful way......I thank God for carrying me through that time,I thought surely I would fall apart at the seams but instead the Lord gave me His strength & used me to encourage others,comfort ,console them & receive His Word,,,,,Glory to God

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Temporarily lost a friend and brother in the Lord recently. I'll be going to his funeral soon, looking to see God glorified. :)