IGNORED

how would YOU preach a funeral?

JohnD

Temporarily lost a friend and brother in the Lord recently. I'll be going to his funeral soon, looking to see God glorified. :)

Amen~!

Praying~!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

I have never been called to "Preach a Funeral." I would not find it an easy responsibility. I'm shy, introverted, and get stage-fright at the very thought of speaking before a group of people... Especially a funeral or memorial, for recent past loved-ones. However, I did feel obligated to stand and give words of sentiment and comfort, following the unexpected loss of my father at age 67, a best friend at age 53, and a cousin I had been close to, at age 46.

Sister Kwik called it a eulogy. That's it... Exactly right on the mark. Knowing in advance each service was giving opportunity for anyone to come forward to the podium, or stand where they were seated, and share what they had to say. I pondered in my grief, did I have anything to contribute at all? So I prayed... The best first choice. "What would I say, Lord? You know I'm afraid to speak before a crowd." And I waited for an answer.

What came to mind, was surprisingly simple... Just share what's in your heart. Recall fond memories. Tell about some special personal moments you've had. Express your sorrow, but remind those gathered, that you have assurance of where each of these loved-ones are. That they're in Heaven now, and you'll see them again... Never to depart. I had to remind myself, that the Lord was with me. Take courage and not be afraid. 

In each of the services, I sat through a bit anxiously anticipating the time for people to give their sentiments. At one point I felt, Okay, stand up, it's your turn now... You've got the floor. The moment I stood up, all fear and anxiety left me. I gathered the thoughts and gave what was on my mind and expressed the feelings in my heart... Other thoughts were given. It seemed effortless. I closed with a few more words and sat down. God had given me the strength. I was so thankful, knowing the Lord indeed was with me. 

Following each of these services, friends and loved-ones, even people I didn't know came up to me and personally thanked me, for what I had shared. So did the officiated ministers... And I said, "I'm a real shy guy. Only the Lord could have helped me to stand and speak before a crowd like this." After a lot of hugs and hand-shakes, I paused and again thanked the Lord, that He could in some way use me for His purpose to give comfort to those who were equally in grief, over their own personal loss.

So, I would say for anyone in a position such as this, pray and trust the Lord to back you up... Not only in this, but in all  things! 

God bless you,

Shalom

David/BeauJangles

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Beau,

Amen Brother...............the Lord gives us strength we did not know could even be possible & that in itself gives Him Glory!!!!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Thank you, dear Sister Kwik... As I re-read first post, I wanted to express to you, my sorrow for the recent loss of your father. My father passed on a warm late October day, long ago with my sister, a nurse at his hospital bedside. I know the Comforter, Spirit of the Living God, is within you and surrounds you at this time... It took much wonder working power to officiate a truly beautiful eulogy, you expressed in your most excellent post. God bless you. David/BeauJangles

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Beau....

Thank you ,your kindness is deeply appreciated ...........all the Glory belongs to God,I am continually in awe of Him!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

...would you only observe their grief for their loss?

....would you capitalize on their truly facing death and mortality for a change and a chance to share the Gospel?

We are ALL priests of God in Christ (1 Peter 2:3-9, Revelation 1:6, Revelation 5:10) and are to be ready (prepared) to give an answer in season or out of season to every man a reason for the hope that is within us...

So... how would you personally preach a funeral if you were called upon to do so?

Hi John DB,

I just did this a couple of weeks ago. I have found funerals a place where we can reflect on the lives of others and they are a great opportunity to share the Gospel. Of course that is much easier to do when the person being eulogized is a Christian for that gives us opportunity to rejoice that they are absent from the body present with the Lord. But it is also a time where we can show great kindness and mercy towards family members who are grieving as well. When the Lord is present at the ceremony through the Spirit of God it changes everything and healing, hope and faith can help all those searching for meaning and truth for not a sparrow falls to the ground without our heavenly Father's knowledge. Let me know if you'd like a copy of my eulogy - it was my mother in law.

In Christ, Pat

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

In this hour of absolute certainty that we all will one day die, would you / could you deny the dearly departed their very last request?

The last request of a saved man we will get to in a moment, but to cover all bases let's begin with:

The last request of a lost dead man...

Luke 16:19-31 (NKJV)
19 “There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day.
20 “But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate,
21 “desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 “So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.
23 “And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’
25 “But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.
26 ‘And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’
27 “Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house,
28 ‘for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’
29 “Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’
30 “And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’
31 “But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’ ”

Proverbs 23:18 (NKJV)
18 For surely there is a hereafter, And your hope will not be cut off.

Job 19:23-27 (NKJV)
23 “Oh, that my words were written! Oh, that they were inscribed in a book!
24 That they were engraved on a rock With an iron pen and lead, forever!
25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth;
26 And after my skin is destroyed, this I know, That in my flesh I shall see God,
27 Whom I shall see for myself, And my eyes shall behold, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!

The last request of a lost dead man "do not come to this place of torment!"

The last request of a saved dead man, "I will be waiting for you in heaven. Be there!"

John 3:16-18 (NKJV)
16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
17 “For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

No fingers pointed at who was lost who was saved. Only the example of the last request of both.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Some of the people who have passed on that did come to know the Lord had a celebration of their life.  It was a great opportunity to preach the way of salvation.   But it helps to remember the good times even when they were hard hearted and hated Christians.  Sometimes the good times were hard to remember.  My hubby remembered wrestling on the floor with his dad.  And had they been allowed a short eulogy that might have been one that he would mention.  Hubby carried on the tradition with our kids and grandkids.  As it was, Dad thought he was just as good as the next guy so he would go to heaven.  The Masons declared him good because he had advanced a degree or 2.  The Elks said he had been in good standing.  The Episcopal church said he had been baptized so he was going to heaven.  Even the Mormon relatives called us and told us they had been baptized for him!   And hubby still hopes that he had time to repent and call on the Name of the Lord before he crashed his plane by flying into a mountain side.  

The thing that I hate about eulogies is when they rave about what a wonderful father someone had been when they were a dead beat dad who used drugs and never repented.  Some even had repeated a prayer once but never had a changed life or even changed attitudes.  To me, a total change in attitudes is the acid test.  

One lady who had led a sinful life was saved a year before she died.  Her goal was to read clear through the Bible before she died.  Her bones, brain and lungs were riddled with cancer and she was in excruciating pain.  Pain and narcotics slowed her ability to accomplish this goal..  But until the last few months she still came to church.  She was unable to be immersed with her colostomy bag, but they held a special sprinkling ceremony for her after church.  This lady's attitudes had totally changed and she really loved the Lord.  But her life was not a great testimony of good works---only that she no longer sinned or cursed and she loved fellowship with the Christians that she once mocked.  She constantly called upon God to help her endure the pain and testified how He made it possible for her to make it through another night.

It is not wise or kind to tell a family that has just lost a loved one that the person probably did not ever receive Christ.   It will almost always turn the family away from God.  It is better to preach the Gospel at a wedding or a baby dedication, or a baptism.  God does not use the Gospel to club them over the head.  It is good news of His unmerited kindness and love.