• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Okay, I've seen a number of threads here asking "What should I do?" referring to some problem or another. A lot of the answers are passive, effectively telling the asker to rely on God and explaining how helpless we are without him. Somebody is looking for a spouse - they are told be patient and wait. Somebody else wants a new job, they are just told to pray and wait for God to answer. Somebody else may have a problem with addiction. They are told that they can't succeed through their own efforts, instead they should just ask God. But is that what God really wants? It seems to me to be a lazy and irresponsible way to live your life.

Throughout the OT we read of God asking the Jews to do something. For example, when we expects the Jews to fight their enemies, he actually asks them to do it. He doesn't just say "sit back lads and leave it to me" and then go on a fire and thunder spree while the Jews just sit back and watch. He expects them to get involved through their own efforts. He just promises them victory and tells them that he has their backs. In other words, if they try, he will take care of the rest.

Should we not do that? Does God not want us to develop our characters through our own efforts?

Is there not a time when we are ever expected to just get up and do things for ourselves, using of course the talents and skills that God gave us in the first place?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

It is His guidance people are referring to wait for, not for Him to do things for us. Once we have His guidance, then we act accordingly.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

In a discussion about building an FM radio station in a church we were attending, the pastor made a statement that I agreed with and has rung true for many many years.....    He said to pray about things and then set out to do them and if it's in Gods will, it will work out.   If it's not then just let it go and get onto the next thing...

I agree that we are not to set down and expect God to do things for us, but to help us succeed in our endeavors....

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

In a discussion about building an FM radio station in a church we were attending, the pastor made a statement that I agreed with and has rung true for many many years.....   

He said to pray about things and then set out to do them and if it's in Gods will, it will work out.   If it's not then just let it go and get onto the next thing...

Assuming there was such, what about all the wasted time and expenses needlessly incurred  because God was not in it? Why act presumptuously supposing God to bless it because we do it in His Name?

Has He not said. "Wait on Me"? If you believe I am in it, will I not open a door for it to happen, will I not make a way? But then, I am a Pentecostal. . . ;)

Edited by Cross Reference

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

Okay, I've seen a number of threads here asking "What should I do?" referring to some problem or another. A lot of the answers are passive, effectively telling the asker to rely on God and explaining how helpless we are without him. Somebody is looking for a spouse - they are told be patient and wait. Somebody else wants a new job, they are just told to pray and wait for God to answer. Somebody else may have a problem with addiction. They are told that they can't succeed through their own efforts, instead they should just ask God. But is that what God really wants? It seems to me to be a lazy and irresponsible way to live your life.

Throughout the OT we read of God asking the Jews to do something. For example, when we expects the Jews to fight their enemies, he actually asks them to do it. He doesn't just say "sit back lads and leave it to me" and then go on a fire and thunder spree while the Jews just sit back and watch. He expects them to get involved through their own efforts. He just promises them victory and tells them that he has their backs. In other words, if they try, he will take care of the rest.

Should we not do that? Does God not want us to develop our characters through our own efforts?

Is there not a time when we are ever expected to just get up and do things for ourselves, using of course the talents and skills that God gave us in the first place?

Jesus once told me to give him the first few moments of every situation,  I gave my life to Jesus, and asked for his will to be my will.  Everything I do is as God has me do, and the Holy Spirit always gives me the grace to do God's will.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

Jesus once told me to give him the first few moments of every situation,  I gave my life to Jesus, and asked for his will to be my will.  Everything I do is as God has me do, and the Holy Spirit always gives me the grace to do God's will.

:thumbsup:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

I have heard it said.  Keep moving;  God cannot steer a car which is motionless.  Once you are on the move, God can direct or redirect your path.  Much of what we do is on our own part, We decide when to get up (we set the alarm), But God directs circumstances to come in our lives, it is how we respond to these circumstance which will determine our growth in Him.

In Christ

Montana Marv

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Sweet advice from you all.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It is a unique aspect in which to walk with God and do His Will... He has given new

birth within us to renew (mind) and bring back the created element, (body and world),

not redeemed for the everlasting but to bring into subjection to the new mind toward

obedience in His Word. This is uniquely intimate with each individual toward The

infinite purpose of God... By a personal format and the wonder of Him revealed in lives

of His Children-> we, ourselves, receive living flesh and blood of Our Lord! If God's Word

says do and we enact ourselves in that doing we are doing the will of God in Christ Jesus

according to His Word... the waiting is when we are unclear of His Word in a situation

and we in worship to Him stop and nothing moves us but His Spirit and understanding that

comes from His instruct to us! Thus we are able to give an account for our doings according

to his Word which is the everlasting medium of Spirit and intent God Himself in His Son...

Love, Steven

In a discussion about building an FM radio station in a church we were attending, the pastor made a statement that I agreed with and has rung true for many many years.....    He said to pray about things and then set out to do them and if it's in Gods will, it will work out.   If it's not then just let it go and get onto the next thing...

I agree that we are not to set down and expect God to do things for us, but to help us succeed in our endeavors....

I agree. :thumbsup:

Our pastor when I was stationed in Arkansas used to call that "putting feet on your prayers." :)

Example: I've needed a new career for years. I've looked for one . . . but haven't gotten anywhere yet. Does that mean I quit looking? No. It means I'm going to keep praying about it and keep looking and doing what I can -- because I believe God's Word teaches we should pay our debts off, and that's something I can't do on my current income. God's word trumps brick walls, closed doors, and age discrimination.

The OT patriarchs are another example. They trusted in God but didn't just sit in the tent door all day - they took care of their livestock, and the other affairs in their lives. They were not perfect and Scripture honestly reflects that too. Ancient Israel is another example. On several occasions God told them He was going to fight for them -- but He also expected them to show up for the battle!