• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I do, and I watch it mainly for Pat Robinson's political commentaries. I don't always agree. They present other information and I often wonder if they check their sources before they say something? I hope they do. Lately they have said, on at least 2 separate occasions, that the divorce rate in America is no where near 50%. That's the number we have been hearing since I can't remember when. If this indeed be a lie of the devil it has done much harm. Young folks get married and when things get tough, and they always will, the couple gets divorced. They know it's wrong and violates their marriage vows, but they think, what the heck, 50% of couples break up. A woman has written at least 1 book on this. Her research found that maybe 30% of all marriages end in divorce. However, when both people are church going Christians, the divorce rate drops to 10 - 15%, and maybe even only 5%, depending on how the statistical analysis is done. That's good news. All relationships hit rocky roads, even friendships. If married couples knew most of their married friends stick it out, until the road becomes smooth again, that knowledge will help the couple stay together.

I find it very easy to believe Satan has tricked the minds of atheists to believe the divorce rate is 50%. Therefore, I find it equally easy to believe that couples who are equally yoked together can stay together all their lives.

What do you all think?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

The problem is that marriage, which is a God-given covenant between a man and a woman, is no longer seen as that anymore. People see it as a temporary contract that can be broken rather than the lifelong contract that it is meant to be. In that case, I often wonder why they bother getting married at all. It seems to me that they prefer adultery with a signed piece of paper as opposed to adultery without the piece of paper.

When you forget what marriage is all about and start to see it as being a contract of your own design rather than God's design, is it no wonder then that marriage is being adapted further, such as same-sex marriages?

At least Christians still seem to realise what marriage is actually meant to be all about (most of them anyway), but anybody else who is not a Christian has hijacked the concept and recreated it.

They've hijacked the word 'marriage' and turned it into something else. Atheists see it as a fluid thing that can be altered to suit whatever they think it means, Muslims think that it's some sort of polygamy, homosexuals think that it applies to them, Hollywood celebrities think that it's some sort of trophy that you collect and then discard when a better trophy comes along and I dread to think what some other people think it means.

We didn't invent marriage, God did. It can't be hijacked in such ways.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I think anyone who determines the status(if it real or not) or length of their relationship based on statistics and what otthers do ...should probably not be in that relationship. When you base your married life on what other married people do your just looking for failure....just Because my neighbor is fighting with their spouse doesn't mean I have to fight with mine. Or if they have date night every week, doesnt mean i have to go out with my spouse every week... if you think for even one second the grass is greener on the neighbors side of the fence. Rebember there's a reason there is a fence... :) God has placed man and woman together and it is him who decides the length of the covenant... until death do you part...meaning you are to love.deal with .tough out ,workthrough it all with your spouse. Love never gives up ,and it never surrenders. If Christ is at the center of your life he will be in the center of your marriage. And with his help you can make it through all the difficulty, and all the deceptions the world tries to put in your way.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

I think they have a fine school, Regent University. Robertson and I agree on most topics, but I dislike the 700 Club. I do not like their political commentary. I usually say, "Why don't they stop preaching and run for office?" I have to hand it to Robertson as he DID run for office.

According to the American CDC, an unbiased source, roughly half of divorces end in divorce. This holds true for the past decade. Nobody is saying that 50 percent of all marriages total will end in divorce. The older generations aren't so quick to divorce as they are today (I assume -- we don't have data to break it down further).

So is Robertson correct? It depends on how he phrased the "question" I guess.

KC02,  It wasn't research done by Robertson. It was presented by a woman (a guest on the show) and she also wrote at least 1 book on it. I don't know what the CDC is, but why should we believe them? Suppose they aren't as unbiased as you think. I learned a long time ago how a study or an experiment can be carefully made to almost always show what the researchers want it to. I was never married, but I've been watching friends get divorced all my life. so when the statistic came along, saying half of all marriages end in divorce, I believed it. But just maybe it was never true. Atheists and non Christians work over time to try and make us believe that our beliefs are wrong.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

I admit that I rarely believe any statistic the government gives us. You know the old saying about the three kinds of lies: Lies, darn lies and statistics. Good for you questioning conventional wisdom.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I read an article a couple of weeks ago in the local news paper where we were fishing that broke down the divorce rates.

As I remember it is true that a bit over 60% of all marriages end in divorce in the US.    that is a long term average, but the problem with the numbers inside that is that only about 25% of first time marriages end in divorce, and Christians first time marriages only about 8% end in divorce.

Within those numbers is that 25% that gets divorced the first time get remarried and divorces again, and sometimes again and again and again.

I had an aunt that was married 5 times before she decided to just do away with the marriage thing....   People like her really skew the numbers.   Also consider that the 8% of the Christians is also among that 25% first timers.

I had three sets of friends in College,,  all 4 couples of us got married in 1970 and we are all still married......   two kids for each family and as of last week all doing well.   

I had another aunt that lived to be 90 something and she had three husbands.....   but they all died from old age.....   no divorces.

so there are a lot of things that can hide within numbers and it just depends on how one wants to present them to prove whatever point one is trying to make.

Yes exactly. And I admit that as I've gotten older numbers confuse me. This is odd because when I was young Math was 1 of my best subjects.

So statistics confuse me. A few pastors also spoke about the on the show. The pastors pointed out that when they have to council a couple who they are going to marry, it's very useful to them if they can tell the couple very few 1st time Christian marriages end in divorce. The pastors also said it's sad how many of those couples think they only have a 50-50 chance of succeeding all their lives. So this is important information for both couples and pastors.

So I'm glad I made this post. I hope everyone reads it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  79
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I watched the 700 Club once after the Creation vs Evolution debate.  Pat Robertson stated it was foolish for Christians not to believe in Evolution with all the evidence out there.  I guess he is what is called a Theistic Evolutionist.  He believes God's hand is in the evolutionary process.  Go figure...

Edited by InfoCentral

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I haven't watched the 700 club since the 70s, but we have been told that statistic was true for Calif. back in the early 60s, and then it is supposed to have spread to the rest of the USA.

Now more people are just living together and split up even faster. They don't count longstanding monogamous relationships at all. But they do say that a couple has a better chance of staying married once they reach 35 years of marriage.. Money issues is the leading cause of divorse.

Most disturbing to me were the statistics for children raised without fathers. They composed

63% of the teen suicides

71% of the pregnant teenagers---they didn't say how many were by mom's boyfriends

90% of the homeless and runaways

70% of the institutionalized juveniles

85% of those with behavioral disorders

75% of those in cemical abuse centers

71% of the high school dorp outs

85% of the youth in prison.

They didn't mention how many of these were raised by siblings in latch key situations, or who were raised in day care. But it is heartbreaking.

I have to admire the waitress who said that she had worked 2 jobs and her daughter's a pre-med student getting excellent grades. She managed to give them a lot of attention and keep a spotless house as well. I couldn't have done that. She somehow beat the odds. And we know that God can make the biggest difference.

Moms and dads who may be in this situation, pray for your kids daily! Try to see as much of them as you can. Enjoy them. When you can't see them, text them and call them often. Forgive the spouse, no matter what they are doing or have done, and no matter how much your heart is breaking. You have to do it for your own sakes, for the kids' sakes, and for your relationship with God. The kids have to know they are not abandoned and that they did not cause the divorse. They need your time and your love, but not expensive gifts. They need to have 3 meals a day and basic clothing and shelter, and lots of listening and caring. And they need to do chores, to assume responsibility, and to be brought up to know the Lord.