fire-heart

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Here’s some KJV objections. I have about 12 of them that I’d be open to discuss with others.

1st Objection. Holy Ghost ---- Holy Spirit (See Matt. 27:50, Matt. 28:19)

The KJV uses the term “ghost” 91 times in referencing to God’s Holy Spirit. “Ghost” is a mistranslation of the Greek word “pneuma” which means breath or spirit. The word “ghost” can be traced back to the Wycliffe translation of 1395. Coming from the famous old English poem Beowulf based on Germanic oral tradition the German/Gothic word “gast” or “gaest” was used in the poem possibly coming from the word “usgaisjan” to describe monsters, dragons, devils, etc. The application of this term “ghost” in reference to the Holy Spirit could qualify as blasphemy to some. The term “ghost” could also come from the old English word "gaesten" which means "to frighten". The term “ghost” is a pagan term used in a demonic sense. The term’s pagan use specifically refers to spirits of dead people who are believed to roam the earth.  

At the very least it is an inappropriate term in referencing God. At worst it is a seriously poor translation that is an affront to God.

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  386
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/20/1991

I have a kj bible and i admit there is some cool about the way the talk in it even though half the time i cant understand what its saying but still it very cool

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I have split the thread and cleaned it up. Please stay on topic.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Well if your that against paraphrases shouldn't you have warned the OP about the poaraphrases on bible gateway when you suggested the site? If we leave out the message then we see that other paraphrases are accepted as valid bible versions by the majority of christians. Guess it just doesn't make sense to me to just write it off. It always takes time for translations/paraphrases to be accepted much like anything. Even dictionaries and encyclopedias with excellent reputations took time to be accepted as authoritive. The Guiness book of records was first released by an alcholic beverage company but became accepted over time but still had to change after that to be what it is today.

I wasn't the one to offered the site. You get your facts straight before posting a rebuttal. I do believe I was clear enough to point out that all paraphrases should not replace a true translation, if you had taken the time to read my post. If the truth was upheld instead of offering a story book version of the truth, there would not be so many fence sitters, claiming to be a Christian but bearing no fruit, accepting what ever tickles their ears and makes them feel good instead of working through sin.

I'm sorry that I am human and made a mistake. I am sorry that being new to this site and used to different set up for quotes that I made that mistake. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Well if your that against paraphrases shouldn't you have warned the OP about the poaraphrases on bible gateway when you suggested the site? If we leave out the message then we see that other paraphrases are accepted as valid bible versions by the majority of christians. Guess it just doesn't make sense to me to just write it off. It always takes time for translations/paraphrases to be accepted much like anything. Even dictionaries and encyclopedias with excellent reputations took time to be accepted as authoritive. The Guiness book of records was first released by an alcholic beverage company but became accepted over time but still had to change after that to be what it is today.

I wasn't the one to offered the site. You get your facts straight before posting a rebuttal. I do believe I was clear enough to point out that all paraphrases should not replace a true translation, if you had taken the time to read my post. If the truth was upheld instead of offering a story book version of the truth, there would not be so many fence sitters, claiming to be a Christian but bearing no fruit, accepting what ever tickles their ears and makes them feel good instead of working through sin.

I'm sorry that I am human and made a mistake. I am sorry that being new to this site and used to different set up for quotes that I made that mistake.

I also am sorry for being so snappy when I posted my response. There is no excuse for my bitterness. Forgive me ...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Thus yet again God's word 'IS' the completion in all matters pertaining to life and Godliness:

1 Peter 4:8-10

8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves:

for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. 9 Use hospitality

one to another without grudging. 10 As every man hath received

the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good

stewards of the manifold grace of God.

KJV

Love, Steven

Here’s some KJV objections. I have about 12 of them that I’d be open to discuss with others.

The KJV uses the term “ghost” 91 times in referencing to God’s Holy Spirit. “Ghost” is a mistranslation of the Greek word “pneuma” which means breath or spirit. The word “ghost” can be traced back to the Wycliffe translation of 1395. Coming from the famous old English poem Beowulf based on Germanic oral tradition the German/Gothic word “gast” or “gaest” was used in the poem possibly coming from the word “usgaisjan” to describe monsters, dragons, devils, etc. The application of this term “ghost” in reference to the Holy Spirit could qualify as blasphemy to some. The term “ghost” could also come from the old English word "gaesten" which means "to frighten". The term “ghost” is a pagan term used in a demonic sense. The term’s pagan use specifically refers to spirits of dead people who are believed to roam the earth.  

At the very least it is an inappropriate term in referencing God. At worst it is a seriously poor translation that is an affront to God.

God bless,

GE

enoob57, Trinitron, Salty, Butero or anyone else care to address this objection? Curious as to the response.

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Even Paul who was taught by the Holy Spirit in the desert later checked with the apostles in Jeruselem to see if his doctrine was the same as theirs. They again approved of him. Apolos was taught the Word more correctly by Pricilla and Aquila.

We all need the correction and the balance of the body of Christ. I also was taught by the Holy Spirit, but I had other teaching as well. Those that were not of God just sluffed off. Those that were of God explained other areas of the Bible as well, or I was required to put them into practice before God gave me more. It requires the real world to be able to turn the other cheek and lead a godly life. That way it becomes heart knowledge often learned the hard way and it keeps us from being prideful.

Much of my teaching in the Spirit came with the help of Bible Study Fellowship, which started me off with praying about the meaning and to write down what it is saying to me at the moment. Some truths are instruction for our lives. Some are eternal insight into the nature of God. Some are doctrinal. Some are historical.

It is easy to be a perfect Christian when we don't have to deal with real people. But as soon as a person who hates Christians must be dealt with, or a religious person with a bitter cold heart, or a Christian who is given to sin comes our way, and we are to love them all but respond to them according to Scripture, then our knowledge and love are put to the test. We must allow Christ in us to love these people and treat them in a compassionate but Godly way. We are intended to demonstrate God to the world.

We are told that the sheep hear His voice; and He calls His own sheep by name and leads them out. And when He brings out His own sheep, He goes before them; and the sheep follow Him for they know His voice. John 10:3-4 v.14-16 NKJV All true believers have been called out by God and He calls us all by name. We all have seen God in some way. I see Him in scripture. We are all unique and special in God's eyes, but probably the martyrs are most beloved in God's eyes.

It is not wise to boast in our experiences. Paul speaks of this in 2 Cor. 12:1-10. He preferred to boast in his infirmities and afflictions for Christ's sake. Note that these come for leading a godly life and for preaching the Gospel. They don't come because we are rude, hateful, self righteous or prideful. (Thinking of a JW whom I finally asked to leave because her hard heart and bad attitudes were just leading us in circles--she thought she would be rewarded for being asked to leave.)

I can't help but think of Brother Lawrence and Practice of the Presence of God. It can be found online. I just reread it and find it more meaningful now, after years of living in God's Presence. I have so much to learn yet.

I have to agree with those who prefer the text most used by textus receptus, the Byzantine used by Erasmus. And I prefer Young's Litteral Translation most often to King James, since he used the Textus Receptus as well. But I most often use NKJV, Amp., Expanded NT, and compare to Young's and NASV. Newer Byzantine texts are even better and more refined.

It seems logical to me, do to my own experience in copying, that leaving out text is more common than adding it. And the "oldest and best" gnostic Alexandrian text from Alexandria Egypt is most suspect because of the fabrication of other so called gospels done by the Gnostic cult that dominated that area. It is more likely that they changed and eliminated Scripture to fit their doctirine like the Jehovah's Witnesses have done to the New World "Translation".

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

God bless,

GE

I am not a kjv onlyist, but I am interested in the rest of your objections. I have a couple of big ones myself lol.

2nd Objection. Jupiter/Mercurius instead of Zeus/Hermes… (See Acts 14:12-13 for example)

KJV

12 And they called Barnabas, Jupiter; and Paul, Mercurius, because he was the chief speaker.

13 Then the priest of Jupiter, which was before their city, brought oxen and garlands unto the gates, and would have done sacrifice with the people.

NKJV (1979)
12 And Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker. 13 Then the priest of Zeus, whose temple was in front of their city, brought oxen and garlands to the gates, intending to sacrifice with the multitudes.

NASB
12 And they began calling Barnabas, Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker. 13 
The priest of Zeus, whose temple was just outside the city, brought oxen and garlands to the gates, and wanted to offer sacrifice with the crowds.

Of Interest from the Textus Receptus:

Acts 14:12

ekaloun <2564> (5707) te <5037> ton <3588> men <3303> {AND THEY CALLED} barnaban <921> {BARNABAS} dia <2203> ton <3588> {ZEUS;} de <1161> {AND} paulon <3972> {PAUL} ermhn <2060> {HERMES,} epeidh <1894> {BECAUSE} autoV <846> {HE} hn <2258> (5713) {WAS} o <3588> {THE} hgoumenoV <2233> (5740) tou <3588> {LEADER} logou <3056> {IN SPEAKING.}

The KJV uses the terms “Jupiter” and “Mercurius” in the place of “Zeus” and “Hermes” in Acts 14:12-13. This misleading transliteration can be traced from Jerome’s Latin Vulgate to the Wycliffe translation. William Tyndal even translated Acts 14:12-13 in the same manner. The Greeks in Lycaonia thought Paul was the Greek god Hermes come down to earth to speak to humanity and perform miracles. The Roman equivalents do not have the same connotation or cultural reference.

This is again a poor translation of the Greek text.

God bless,

GE