• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

1 Timothy 5:22

"Do not lay hands on anyone too hastily and thereby share responsibility for the sins of others; keep yourself free from sin."

I have often wondered.  Used to go to a church where people did quite a bit of laying hands on others to pray.  We do it once in a while in the the Salvation Army where I attend.  

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

1 Timothy 5:22

"Do not lay hands on anyone too hastily and thereby share responsibility for the sins of others; keep yourself free from sin."

I have often wondered.  Used to go to a church where people did quite a bit of laying hands on others to pray.  We do it once in a while in the the Salvation Army where I attend.  

A person being taught by the Christian Church about Jesus, may come to accept Jesus as his or her Lord and God.

Then such a person is baptized in Jesus’ name.

After one is baptized in water in Jesus’ name, they then may need an apostle to lay hands on them so they can receive the Holy Spirit.

Paul was telling Timothy that not all who have been baptized in water are ready to be baptized in the Holy Spirit.

(Acts 8: 14-17) “ When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, and they went down there and prayed for them to receive the Holy Spirit, for as yet he had not come down on any of them: they had only been baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.”

• Group:  Senior Member

I listen to a radio program where people tell of their life and coming to Christ.  True stories. I forgot the name at the moment.  But when they accept Christ as their lord and savior, they feel free and different,(good) like new people.  Only the Holy Spirit can do that, no? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I listen to a radio program where people tell of their life and coming to Christ.  True stories. I forgot the name at the moment.  But when they accept Christ as their lord and savior, they feel free and different,(good) like new people.  Only the Holy Spirit can do that, no? 

Yes.

I felt like my lungs were filled with helium, like I was floating. I have never felt so free in my life.

Imagine what heaven is going to be like!

Feelings can't be trusted.  Satan uses feelings to make people believe they are homosexual. Satan can and does give people feelings that may seem good, but in truth are evil.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

While I do understand the meaning as others are using it, I always understood this to mean for ordination or consecration for service.   Paul warns in other places not to promote men to leadership when they are brand new Christians so they will not be tempted by pride.  But most new Christians are not ready to face the responsibility of leadership in a church and all the harassment and complaining a leader must endure. Verse 17 right before this verse had referred to the work of elders. 1 Tim, 3 gives qualifications for leadership, showing that they should be watched and tried to see if they meet the qualifications.  Other places it mentions the gifts that God bestowed upon Timothy through the laying on of hands.  God often equips with spiritual gifts when He consecrates people for service.`

Perhaps participating in another man's sins would be done by ordaining a person they knew to be sinful and who did not meet the standards, and thereby seemingly condoning sin.

I listen to a radio program where people tell of their life and coming to Christ.  True stories. I forgot the name at the moment.  But when they accept Christ as their lord and savior, they feel free and different, (good) like new people.  Only the Holy Spirit can do that, no? 

Feelings can't be trusted.  Satan uses feelings to make people believe they are homosexual. Satan can and does give people feelings that may seem good, but in truth are evil.

:thumbsup:

Yes

In whom ye also trusted,

after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:

in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus,

and love unto all the saints, Ephesians 1:13-15

Feelings

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. Mark 12:30

Much More

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalms 103:1

Than Just Feelings

I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. Job 42:5-6

I listen to a radio program where people tell of their life and coming to Christ.  True stories. I forgot the name at the moment.  But when they accept Christ as their lord and savior, they feel free and different, (good) like new people.  Only the Holy Spirit can do that, no? 

:thumbsup:

Yes

In whom ye also trusted,

after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:

in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus,

and love unto all the saints, Ephesians 1:13-15

Feelings

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. Mark 12:30

Much More

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalms 103:1

Than Just Feelings

I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. Job 42:5-6

Loving God is not a feeling.  One loves God by living his Word.

(John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”

(John 14:21) “anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.”

Notice Jesus said if one loves him then he would show himself to him or her.

How many people do you know that have seen Jesus?

Jesus has shown himself to me, and he has called me by my name.

While I do understand the meaning as others are using it, I always understood this to mean for ordination or consecration for service.   Paul warns in other places not to promote men to leadership when they are brand new Christians so they will not be tempted by pride.  But most new Christians are not ready to face the responsibility of leadership in a church and all the harassment and complaining a leader must endure. Verse 17 right before this verse had referred to the work of elders. 1 Tim, 3 gives qualifications for leadership, showing that they should be watched and tried to see if they meet the qualifications.  Other places it mentions the gifts that God bestowed upon Timothy through the laying on of hands.  God often equips with spiritual gifts when He consecrates people for service.`

Perhaps participating in another man's sins would be done by ordaining a person they knew to be sinful and who did not meet the standards, and thereby seemingly condoning

Good. Thankyou.

Edited by Pamelasv

Look.  The Holy Spirit lets people know that they know they are saved after coming to Him.  "And the Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are children of God."  Romans 8:16.  True, that feelings cannot always be trusted which is why we need to see if they line up with the Word.  But God lets lots of people know when He cleanses them thru Jesus.