IGNORED

Instructions for a successful walk with God?

mevosper

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  317
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I've been pondering the below for a little while. On the outside, it seems like a simple thing, but believe there is much depth in it. To be sure I'm thinking properly, I post this to you for testing and critiquing.

Here are a few questions I'm asking myself:

• Is this sound biblical thinking? Can this be backed up with scripture?
  • Can a successful life-walk with God be "wrapped up" in such a simple outline?
  • Are there any ingredients missing? If so, what is/are they?

How would you answer the questions above, from the thoughts below?

===============================================

The spirit of God plants the seed, as the wind plants seed, in one's heart (born again?). 

The seed grows as it is watered and fed by:

• reading God's word, the bible.
  • prayer! (humble submission before God, the Father. In boldness before the throne.)
  • contemplation on the bible.
  • applying bible to my own life.
  • faith (obedience, action,)
  • assembling with brothers and sisters

Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, mind and strength.

Love thy neighbor as thyself

The Flesh grows. The Flesh dies. 

The spirit (product of the seed) is the incorruption and lives forever. "Well done, thou good and faithful servant"

Edited by mevosper

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

I've been pondering the below for a little while. On the outside, it seems like a simple thing, but believe there is much depth in it. To be sure I'm thinking properly, I post this to you for testing and critiquing.

Here are a few questions I'm asking myself:

• Is this sound biblical thinking? Can this be backed up with scripture?
  • Can a successful life-walk with God be "wrapped up" in such a simple outline?
  • Are there any ingredients missing? If so, what is/are they?

How would you answer the questions above, from the thoughts below?

===============================================

The spirit of God is planted as a seed in one's heart (born again). 

The seed grows as it is watered and fed by:

• prayer.
  • applying bible to my own life

The Flesh grows. The Flesh dies. 

The spirit (product of the seed) is the incorruption and lives forever.

planting the seed imo does not equal born again.

1 Corin 3:6

I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow.

One plants the seed, and he who plants the seed or someone else may come along and water it, the water causes the seed to sprout then God takes over to grow it.

Applying the Bible I agree with your bullets below,

• prayer.
  • applying bible to my own life

Once the seed grows and gets knowledge ( from bible or others ) some live by every word.

Some choose to to ignore certain teachings. I choose not to mention these certain teachings.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

To me that pretty much sums it up. However, Hebrews also says we should not forsake the assemblying of ourselves together. Ususally Christians enjoy worshipping God with others, praising Him with thanksgiving, and good Bible teaching. So I would also encourage finding a good church that ministers to you.

I missed that Willa, glad you caught it.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

We need to assemble ourselves together not only for ourselves, but what we might be able to minister to others in the group.

We seem to all have some problem or other, or need at one time or another.    Church should be more of a giving than receiving I think....  I don't mean money, but the spiritual help that we can give others.....    if nothing else just a shoulder to cry on at times.

Coheir, this is one aspect I've been contemplating. 

The other side of me is saying "If the seed had never been planted, would one be born again?" Theoretically, if Paul had not gone to Corinth, would they be born again. Ultimately, God's will will be done. So whether it was Paul, Barnabas, Peter or anyone else, is not the question. The focus is on the planting of the seed. Is it necessary for born again/birth of the spirit in one's self?

I think you are right though. Comparing John 3 with Matt 13. And the seed represents what we learn about God/heaven through the bible. 

To me that pretty much sums it up. However, Hebrews also says we should not forsake the assemblying of ourselves together. Ususally Christians enjoy worshipping God with others, praising Him with thanksgiving, and good Bible teaching. So I would also encourage finding a good church that ministers to you.

Absolutely agree about the assembling with Brothers and Sisters. Good catch. I don't believe hermit christianity is biblical. Although there are days... :sneaking:  

Edited by mevosper

Coheir, this is one aspect I've been contemplating. 

The other side of me is saying "If the seed had never been planted, would one be born again?" Theoretically, if Paul had not gone to Corinth, would they be born again. Ultimately, God's will will be done. So whether it was Paul, Barnabas, Peter or anyone else, is not the question. The focus is on the planting of the seed. Is it necessary for born again/birth of the spirit in one's self?

I think you are right though. Comparing John 3 with Matt 13. And the seed represents what we learn about God/heaven through the bible. 

Absolutely agree about the assembling with Brothers and Sisters. Good catch. I don't believe hermit christianity is biblical. Although there are days... :sneaking:  

That is a hard Q. I would say if God chooses someone to do something and they do not, he can easily find another. In my case the only thing I was taught and knew til I read the Bible my self was don't use Gods name in vain ( cussing ) and there is a God. as a kid I went to bible school maybe 10-15 times.So I am not really sure if the seed was planted in me or not it was not watered for sure. I turned to him after my life fell apart at 54. Although I always have thought God could do miracles and he had done many for me while I was not thinking of him in any way I just knew the only way I could have lived was something he done that kept me alive and i related them to him although I was still sinning on a regular basis. I believe he saved my life at least 10 to 20 times before I turned to him.

Cletus, Not sure if there was any particular aspect you were pointing out with Galatians 5, but I did get one thing that was missed. Love thy neighbor as thyself.  :thumbsup:

Coheir, when I was four, my parents had the family bible sitting on coffee table. I remember flipping through and looking at the pictures. The only thing that really sticks though was a picture of Christ's body as it was being taken down from the cross. If I could draw/paint, i could paint that picture today. That was quite a few years ago. I believe that was my first seed. At 4 years old, I had not made a conscientious turn toward God at that time. I had not heard of being "born again" until we started attending church regularly when I was 9. 

Jhn 3:8 KJV - The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

So, I'm thinking just in my own life, had a seed not been planted, would I have ever acknowledged Christ as my savior? This question just creates the realization that it is so import to:

1. Love the Lord with all heart, soul, and strength

2. Love thy neighbor as thyself

3. proclaim his name such that everyone will know. 

We just never know where that seed is going to land. 

Edited by mevosper

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Coheir and cletus, thank you. I forgot about my own struggles when I began. I needed a statement of faith such as the one in our own forum, but , due to my nature, I also needed the scriptures where they are found and to be able to read them in context. Once that foundation was laid, I needed to learn to be refilled and walk in the Spirit, as in Gal 5:16 and Eph. 8. Then I needed to fully surrender to Jesus as Lord, as doubting Thomas and others fell at His feet saying "My Lord and my God". Small group bible studes in my church helped me much in my growth, as did Bible Study Fellowship. We would go around the group saying what we thought the verses were saying and how it might apply to us, and I learned much from others as well. Then an expository teaching followed. Now I have a good expository Bible teacher for a pastor and often take notes.

After that, personal growth is usually gained just through personal prayer and Bible study. Some people prefer devotionals like Streams in the Desert, which helped me when I was going through hard times. Others research and dig for answers in Scripture. Some read a bible that is made so that you read through it in a year. Often I read through a book of the Bible till some thought impacts me. Then I underline it and meditate on it throughout the day. Often I follow up the references as well when my curiosity is aroused. But always I ask the Lord to speak to me through His Word and to enlighten me. Often God has brought situations into my life where I had to apply the scripture to the situation, [such as turn the other cheek and bless those who persecute you and pray for those who spitefully use you], before He gave me more insight into His Word.

In answer to your question, yes, we must be born again. John 3:5. --unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. v. 7 says that we can see the effects of this in peoples lives but can't nail down the coming and going of the Holy Spirit. So we look for changes in attitudes toward sin, God and salvation.

Cletus, amen, Brother, Amen!

Obedience - sometimes that is hard to do. It challenges our faith, but is so vital to a successful walk with God. I was just reading/listening to 1 Sam Chap 15. Because of Saul's disobedient act, the kingdom was rent from his leadership.

I disobeyed not too long ago. I had a lack of faith. Though probably minor in other peoples minds, it was a huge step of faith for me. And i couldn't do it. And In there lies the problem - "i". I picture it like a huge limb of a tree was ripped off. I don't know if it will grow back. The thought of it missing is bothersome and very lamentable (as the Old Testament would use it). "Without faith it's impossible to please God." Hebrews 11:6 has never been more clear in my life. We must believe that he is The God, and show that with faith by obedience. And in that, our obedience to, and trust in, him is what pleases him. 

Because Faith has a larger scope that encompasses more than just our actions, it is a definite ingredient.  

I'm definitely a digger and treasure hunter when it comes to bible verses. It's amazing how often verses in other books (and time periods) will reiterate or expand on another verse in a completely different book (time period). Much like what happens between Old and New Testament. But even within the same Testament. The bible is so cohesive. 

Hearing the bible through cd or smartphone has opened up a great way to learn God's word. The spirit talks to me through scripture. If I don't know it, I can't hear it. Getting his word audibly has added another sense (hearing) in receiving his daily bread. (now if only I can learn braille :mgcheerful: ). That still small voice in my heart/head needs to be God's word. "Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee." I've really taken Romans 12:2 to heart. 

Rom 12:2 KJV - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

I'm looking to be transformed to know His will. Hence why the lack of faith hurt so much.