FreeinChrist

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Happy Fourth of July.  And on this Independence Day here in the United States, I was just wondering what everyone thoughts are on the following verse:

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Galatians 5:1

I know that this is speaking of Christ freeing us from our sin debt, but for some reason have a feeling i'm missing something else.   The last week has been so miserable (which mean I have done something to get away from God); and I feel this verse may have some clue to it.

So any ideas if i am missing something in this verse?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Yes God has delivered us when we were first saved.  Then He starts changing us into the likeness of Christ by helping us to shed bad attitudes and habits.  Some of these occur instantly and some we struggle with, often for years.  Then, once freed, we sometimes are again caught up in the yoke of bondage.  Sometimes it is to man made rules or  trying to keep the law in our flesh, sometimes it is to a sin we thought we were free of.  Occasionally the struggle to overcome this time is even harder, I think this is to remind us lest we fall again and take the grace of God lightly.  Often I have kicked and scolded myself for my failure long after I had confessed my sin and been forgiven.  Then God reminded that He, not I had the final word and superior judgement.   The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.  I so fear being out of fellowship with the Lord that I don't want to ever be in that place again.  Just remember that He desires that loving fellowship much more than we do.  And sometimes He does chasten those He loves so as to yield the peaceable fruit of righteousness.