IGNORED

What are some Bible verses that go along with the topic of angels?

gigman7

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/01/1965

I'm looking for some Bible verses that talk about or describe angels. What are some that you know of?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Thank you. That helps some. I'm trying to find some that describe what angels do for us, if anything.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Thank you. That helps some. I'm trying to find some that describe what angels do for us, if anything.

They are God's messengers in a sense, and they do nothing for us except that which God may command. Some people believe that we have "guardian" angels, but I can't find any scripture that points to this.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Find a concordance, such as Stong's, Young's or Cruden's, or even one in the back of a Bible, and look up angels, and then angel but disregard "THE Angel of the Lord" because it often refers to the Christ before He was made flesh. You might also be interest in the living beings called Serphs or seraphim and Teraphim. These have wings and guard God's throne. You may find on line editions of the concordances, but KJV is the most often version used by these concordances.

You will get a lot more out of the study if you do the digging yourself.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

The Archangel Michael may be a study you may want to consider doing. He is in the Book of Daniel.

Then he said to me, "Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard; and I have come because of your words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia. Now I have come to make you understand what will happen to your people in the latter days, for the vision refers to many days yet to come."

Daniel 10:12-14

"At that time Michael shall stand up, the great prince who stands watch over the sons of your people; and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation, even to that time. And at that time your people shall be delivered, every one who is found written in the book. And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to shame and everlasting contempt. Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the firmament, and those who turn many to righteousness like the stars forever and ever. But you, Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book until the time of the end; many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase."

- Daniel 12:1-4

מִיכָאֵל Miyka'el]

Michael = "who is like God"

1.one of, the chief, or the first archangel who is described as the one who stands in time of conflict for the children of Israel

Michael also appears later in Revelation

Revelation 12:7 ¶

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, and prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

So you could say one of the functions God has given to angels is in the role of defender.

I like these episodes as well out of Acts 5 and Acts 12 as well

And through the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were done among the people. And they were all with one accord in Solomon’s Porch. Yet none of the rest dared join them, but the people esteemed them highly. And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women, so that they brought the sick out into the streets and laid them on beds and couches, that at least the shadow of Peter passing by might fall on some of them. Also a multitude gathered from the surrounding cities to Jerusalem, bringing sick people and those who were tormented by unclean spirits, and they were all healed.

Then the high priest rose up, and all those who were with him (which is the sect of the Sadducees), and they were filled with indignation, and laid their hands on the apostles and put them in the common prison. But at night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said, “Go, stand in the temple and speak to the people all the words of this life." And when they heard that, they entered the temple early in the morning and taught. But the high priest and those with him came and called the council together, with all the elders of the children of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought.

But when the officers came and did not find them in the prison, they returned and reported, saying, “Indeed we found the prison shut securely, and the guards standing outside before the doors; but when we opened them, we found no one inside!” Now when the high priest, the captain of the temple, and the chief priests heard these things, they wondered what the outcome would be. So one came and told them, saying, “Look, the men whom you put in prison are standing in the temple and teaching the people!”

- Acts 5:12-25

AND ACTS 12

Now about that time Herod the king stretched out his hand to harass some from the church. Then he killed James the brother of John with the sword.And because he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to seize Peter also. Now it was during the Days of Unleavened Bread. So when he had arrested him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four squads of soldiers to keep him, intending to bring him before the people after Passover.

Peter Freed from Prison

Peter was therefore kept in prison, but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church. And when Herod was about to bring him out, that night Peter was sleeping, bound with two chains between two soldiers; and the guards before the door were keeping the prison. Now behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up, saying, “Arise quickly!” And his chains fell off his hands. Then the angel said to him, “Gird yourself and tie on your sandals”; and so he did. And he said to him, “Put on your garment and follow me.” So he went out and followed him, and did not know that what was done by the angel was real, but thought he was seeing a vision. When they were past the first and the second guard posts, they came to the iron gate that leads to the city, which opened to them of its own accord; and they went out and went down one street, and immediately the angel departed from him.

And when Peter had come to himself, he said, “Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel, and has delivered me from the hand of Herod and from all the expectation of the Jewish people.”

-Acts 12:1-11

So two more cases where angels protect the people of God.

They also lead us to act in the work of the Lord as well, as in Acts 8 & 10.

Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, "Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." This is desert. So he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship, was returning. And sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet.

- Acts 8:26-28

There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian Regiment, a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, who gave alms generously to the people, and prayed to God always. About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God coming in and saying to him, “Cornelius!” And when he observed him, he was afraid, and said, “What is it, lord?”

So he said to him, “Your prayers and your alms have come up for a memorial before God. Now send men to Joppa, and send for Simon whose surname is Peter. He is lodging with Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the sea. He will tell you what you must do.” And when the angel who spoke to him had departed, Cornelius called two of his household servants and a devout soldier from among those who waited on him continually. So when he had explained all these things to them, he sent them to Joppa.

-Acts 10:1-8

In this case the angel instructed Cornelius, who was not yet a Christian but a simple God fearer, to bring Peter to his house. At the same time the Lord gave Peter vision to move Peter's heart so that when Cornelius' messengers came for him he was willing and able to share the Gospel and that day Cornelius and his household were saved and born of the Holy Spirit to new life.

So there are many functions of angels including messengers. We could go on but that is a start.

In Christ, Pat

Edited by Macs Son

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Acts 10:3  -  He(Cornelius) saw in a "vision" evidently about the ninth hour of the day an "ANGEL" of God coming in to him, and saying to him, Cornelius.

Acts 10:30-31  -  And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a "MAN" stood before me in "BRIGHT CLOTHING."

31.)  And said, Cornelius, your prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God.  

(The angel that appeared to Cornelius, Cornelius called him a man, because the angels appearance is that of a mans.)  

Daniel 10:16  -  And, behold, "ONE LIKE THE SIMILITUDE OF THE SONS OF MEN" touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my Lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength.    

Daniel 10:18  -  Then there came again and touched me "ONE LIKE THE APPEARANCE OF A MAN," and he strengthened me.  

(An angel came that had the appearance of a man, and touched Daniels lips so that he could speak, and the angel that looked like the appearance of a man, also came again to touch Daniel to give him strength, and Daniel was strengthened.  There is more scripture of the angels with the appearance of man, throughout the bible.)

Luke 22:43  -  And there appeared an "ANGEL" unto Him(Jesus) from heaven, strengthening Him(Jesus).  

As Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemene before His arrest, an angel came to give Jesus strength.  If you have ever seen the movie called passion of the Christ, its not true where it shows satan tormenting Jesus, no where in Gods word does it say satan was ever in the garden and nor could he ever be, but yes there was an angel there to give Jesus the strength that He needed.

(The angel that appeared to Cornelius, Cornelius called him a man, because the angels appearance is that of a mans.)  

Where do you get this part?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Where do you get this part?

I will try and make it more easily to read so you can see how the scriptures match up with one another, I left some out the last time, so I will add it to make the scripture more complete. I have highlighted and underlined what you need to see so you can compare the two and see its the same.  

Acts:10-3&4 -  He(Cornelius) saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an "Angel of God" coming in to him, and saying to him, Cornelius.  And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, what is it Lord?  And he(the angel) said to him(Cornelius), your prayers and your alms are come up for a memorial(remembrance) before God.

Acts:10-30&31 -  And Cornelius said, four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour; I prayed in my house, and, behold, a "man" stood before me in "bright clothing," and said, Cornelius, your prayer is heard, and your alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God.

Can you see how the scripture matches up, except Acts 10:3, speaks of an angel of God, and Acts 10:30, speaks of a man in bright clothing, this is how the angel looked, as Cornelius is describing the angel as a man in bright clothing as he is telling Peter about what he saw when the angel visited him. The first part of the scripture is speaking of Cornelius vision of the angel, the second part of scripture is where Cornelius is telling Peter of the vision he had. Hope this helps.     :mgcheerful: