Edwin

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

What is your understanding of "my yoke" in the following verses ?

Mat 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." 

Thank you.

Edwin.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

From what I've been taught, I understand 'yoke' to be a guide.  Jesus guides us in the path of righteousness so we don't stray to the right or to the left.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

A yoke is what binds, and in this case, us with Christ.   "My yoke" is His love.  Many other yokes are cruel and hard, but His love is welcoming and easy to accept.

Thank you both for your comments, which are much appreciated.

However, my understanding was influenced somewhat by what Jesus had to say at,

Jhn 5:30 "I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me. 

I shall be interested to find out if you also arrive at my conclusion?

Edwin.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

I'm not seeing a relation between the passage in John to the yoke passage. With the yoke, we are told to follow Jesus (more or less), in John 5:30 Jesus is saying He is sent of the Father and is following the Father's will. I suppose if you take the verse by itself and out of its context, it seems to apply to me "seeking not my own will but the will of him who sent me"?

The two most direct ways I've heard the yoke taught are that it refers to a teacher's mantle or doctrine; or it refers to the two-ox literal yoke.

The teacher's mantle idea is that a rabbi had a certain perspective and method of teaching and this was called his yoke, so when you came under his yoke you agreed to follow his instructions and teachings. So Jesus would be contrasting His instruction to that of the pharisees, who "...bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay [them] on men's shoulders; but they [themselves] will not move them with one of their fingers." [Mat 23:4 KJV]

Seeing it as an actual ox-yoke is similar, referring to the farmer who paired two oxen but made sure there was a strong and a weak one, so that the weak always followed the strong and they weren't competing or in conflict. Here, and doctrinally this also works pretty well, when Jesus says "my burden is light", it's because He's carrying it for you- He's the strong ox and your job is to just put your neck in the yoke while He does all the work.

Thank you Persuaded for your comments.

My conclusion is as follows.

Jesus gives us another clue at,

Jhn 5:19 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise. 

He later on gives His solution to the above, and the problem He revealed at John 5:30, as below.

Jhn 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 

Now why does Jesus do things this way, because it is the only way in which we born again Christians can live the life that God the Father intended us to live.

And that is why it is written,

Eph 1:13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 

It is only the Holy Spirit who abides within you that can live the life that God the Father requires.

May the Lord bless you, and keep you safe.

Edwin.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

My thought concerning this passage is that I exchange burdens with Jesus. I lay my heavy burdens of worry and sin at His feet and take His yoke. As I walk with Him in the Spirit, He is the one that does the work and I just obey His lead and take up space.

But I have never heard the one about the strong and weak oxen. It seems to me that they couldn't walk in a straight line if that were the case. Maybe that is my twisted logic. lol.

What is your understanding of "my yoke" in the following verses ?

Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 

Matthew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 

Matthew 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." 

:thumbsup:

To "Work"

And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Acts 2:46

Together

Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. Acts 2:47

Stephen, More Gravy Please :)

Thank you Willamina, and FresnoJoe for your comments which are much appreciated.

Every blessing.

Edwin.

PS: Now what are your thoughts on, "Adams transgression" above.

Thank you.

Edwin.

Edited by Edwin

....Now what are your thoughts on, "Adams transgression" above....

:thumbsup:

God (Jesus) Full-Paid It, Wiped It Out

For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:21-22

So The Terrible Wages Of Sin

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

Are Full Paid

For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5:26-29

To Whosoever

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:13-15

Will