IGNORED

What are some verses in the Bible that deal with alcohol?

gigman7

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/01/1965

No, you are claiming that this wine was unfermented grape juice. Show me in scripture where the Bible says that the wine was not really wine.

Can you show that it is?

Sorry, but the burden of proof is on you. Wine is wine. But I'll help you out here anyway.

In the book of Acts Chapter 2 there is a clear reference to wine suggesting that they were mocked because it is thought that they were drunk. If wine contained no alcohol this would make no sense, so it is clear that wine is an alcoholic drink.

Ephesians 5 also refers to wine being capable of making somebody drunk. How can unfermented grape juice make anybody drunk? The only taboo against drinking wine is to not get drunk on it. Again, how can you get drunk on it, if it contains no alcohol?

No, it's not on me.

I did not say that that never did "wine" have alcohol. You did not read the article that I posted.

We just have to agree to disagree.  Like I said, I can easily see that many times God says being great includes not drinking anything that has alcohol. No one can read the Bible and disagree with that and have anything to back them up.

Disagree with what? Firstly, how did you know when wine had alcohol and when it didn't? You don't. You're just assuming that sometimes it had alcohol and sometimes it didn't. But you have no way of knowing when it did and when it didn't.

Then you say that 'no one can read the Bible and disagree with that and have anything to back them up', but in truth you have nothing to back up your assumption that wine sometimes didn't contain alcohol.

I'm sorry, but you're just assuming that alcohol is forbidden so you're redefining what the word wine means, as and when it suits you, to fit your hypothesis.

Wine contains alcohol. The Bible means that otherwise it wouldn't refer to getting drunk.

What makes you think you can change the definition of a word at certain times and then change it back at other times to suit your fancy?

The truth is you can't. The Bible was not written so that words can be played around with just to see your own particular beliefs.

As for God claiming that somebody was great who didn't drink alcohol, I can agree with you, but wine is NOT forbidden to drink.

Yes, you're right. The Bible doesn't say anything about anyone ever drinking anything. It never says anything about wine. It never says anything is right or wrong.

You're right, you win. We can't agree to disagree because you are SOOOO right.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

No, you are claiming that this wine was unfermented grape juice. Show me in scripture where the Bible says that the wine was not really wine.

Can you show that it is?

Sorry, but the burden of proof is on you. Wine is wine. But I'll help you out here anyway.

In the book of Acts Chapter 2 there is a clear reference to wine suggesting that they were mocked because it is thought that they were drunk. If wine contained no alcohol this would make no sense, so it is clear that wine is an alcoholic drink.

Ephesians 5 also refers to wine being capable of making somebody drunk. How can unfermented grape juice make anybody drunk? The only taboo against drinking wine is to not get drunk on it. Again, how can you get drunk on it, if it contains no alcohol?

No, it's not on me.

I did not say that that never did "wine" have alcohol. You did not read the article that I posted.

We just have to agree to disagree.  Like I said, I can easily see that many times God says being great includes not drinking anything that has alcohol. No one can read the Bible and disagree with that and have anything to back them up.

Disagree with what? Firstly, how did you know when wine had alcohol and when it didn't? You don't. You're just assuming that sometimes it had alcohol and sometimes it didn't. But you have no way of knowing when it did and when it didn't.

Then you say that 'no one can read the Bible and disagree with that and have anything to back them up', but in truth you have nothing to back up your assumption that wine sometimes didn't contain alcohol.

I'm sorry, but you're just assuming that alcohol is forbidden so you're redefining what the word wine means, as and when it suits you, to fit your hypothesis.

Wine contains alcohol. The Bible means that otherwise it wouldn't refer to getting drunk.

What makes you think you can change the definition of a word at certain times and then change it back at other times to suit your fancy?

The truth is you can't. The Bible was not written so that words can be played around with just to see your own particular beliefs.

As for God claiming that somebody was great who didn't drink alcohol, I can agree with you, but wine is NOT forbidden to drink.

Yes, you're right. The Bible doesn't say anything about anyone ever drinking anything. It never says anything about wine. It never says anything is right or wrong.

The Bible sometimes gives instruction to particular people not to drink alcohol, which is understandable. It's not always appropriate to drink and some people are forbidden from drinking if God has a special role for them.

But wine is clearly not forbidden for all Christians because if it was Jesus would not give it to people and Paul would not allow Timothy to drink it now and again. And by wine, I mean alcoholic wine. Wine in the Bible is clearly an alcoholic drink otherwise we would not be warned against getting drunk on it.

Wine does not change its definition to mean alcoholic wine sometimes and grape juice at other times. If it did the Bible would either make that clear or give us other words for it.

Wine is always wine.

The Bible sometimes gives instruction to particular people not to drink alcohol, which is understandable. It's not always appropriate to drink and some people are forbidden from drinking if God has a special role for them.

But wine is clearly not forbidden for all Christians because if it was Jesus would not give it to people and Paul would not allow Timothy to drink it now and again. And by wine, I mean alcoholic wine. Wine in the Bible is clearly an alcoholic drink otherwise we would not be warned against getting drunk on it.

Wine does not change its definition to mean alcoholic wine sometimes and grape juice at other times. If it did the Bible would either make that clear or give us other words for it.

Wine is always wine.

You're right. Every time the Bible says anything about drinking anything it is talking about alcohol or it wouldn't talk about getting drunk when they drink. Even the water was alcohol or they wouldn't say it was drinking it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Wine is always wine.

You're right. Every time the Bible says anything about drinking anything it is talking about alcohol or it wouldn't talk about getting drunk when they drink. Even the water was alcohol or they wouldn't say it was drinking it.

I think that you're confusing the word 'drink' with the word 'drunk'. The word drink means to swallow a liquid. The word drunk means intoxicated. The past tense of drink is 'drank'.

Wine is always wine.

I think that you're confusing the word 'drink' with the word 'drunk'. The word drink means to swallow a liquid. The word drunk means intoxicated. The past tense of drink is 'drank'.

You're right. Any time the Bible says anything about wine, they are talking about getting drunk. The only time it says anything about drinking something is when they are talking about water.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus drank wine! as already quoted people called John insane because he niether drank and ate only locusts and stuff. They called Jesus a drunk because he did drink and feast etc. Maybe God arranged John to be a tea totaller specifically so Jesus could say "hey you want it both ways, which is it? "

People rarely get drunk on fruit juice. Also Jesus 1st miracle. Turned water into wine. Theres no reason to think hebrew couldnt distinguish between wine and grape juice. Imagine the wedding.

Orders to the servants: Ok now remember the adults get wine but the kids can have wine instead? :)

Hebrew would have evovled the first time all tge kids came home blind drunk from a wedding to distinguish between the two surely!

Plus its a wedding! Theres wine in those barrels not fruit juice! After people are a bit drunk they nolonger notice the quality of the drink. They dont care anymore. The same cant be said for fruit juice.

The bible does take a dim view of being a drunkard if thats your point I agree, but I dont think thats the same as banning wine full stop at all :)

Edited by 101098

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Can you show that it is?

No, it's not on me.

Wine is always wine.

I agree 100% with everything you've stated

Wine is wine unless proven otherwise with evidence, there's nothing wrong with drinking as long as you know your limits - it's about self control, if you (not you specifically, just in general) can't handle it much then it's better not to. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Pr. 20:1 for start

Also, this article explains what seems to be contradictions.

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVanswers/2008/04-10b.html

Read the first part of the article and it relies on personal opinion as to what is meant. That is simply not good grounds for basing doctrine or belief on. 

Just for the record I have never once taken the phrase 'good wine' to mean higher alcohol content. While I don't know a great deal about wine I do know that alcohol content is not what determines if something is a good wine or not. Yet the link provided claims I argue something I do not. I have read up to the heading of Joseph, Antiquities II.V.2. i noticed it was essentially repeating itself so if there is something else you would like me to read that is after that then you will need to point it out to me by letting me know the heading.

Yes, I read the link you gave. It gave distorted views. When the Bible says, "you must not drink wine or any other alcoholic drink", I'm not twisting anything. I'm just quoting.

True you are just quoting a very small selective part of scripture. however that does not mean you are giving the whole story. Tell me what kind of gospel message would I be presenting if I just went around saying "Your all sinners"? Would I be giving a faithful and accurate representation of the gospel if I just left it there and made no mention of Christ's sacrifice and love? Of course I wouldn't. likewise you are not giving a accurate picture by cutting it off where you did. A explanation of that passage along with more context has been provided yet you have not explained how that fits in with your view. I am following a conversation between an athiest and christian at the moment and the athiest claims the bible instructs rape victims to marry their rapist. The athiest is coming up with that argument by doing exactly what you are doing. Quoting one small bit of scripture and ignoring the verses around it which paint a very different picture indeed.

"and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink." That's what I'm talking about. Not sure where "razor" came from.

Except when reading the verse the do not drink wine bit is addressed to the woman and the reason given for that instruction then follows where it says for you will bear a son. To read that the no alcohol part applies to the child is reading with a pre-formed opinion so one sees what they want to see. In any case lets assume the article you linked is correct in its claims about meaning of words. Then this verse says he should not drink fullstop. Not just not drink alcohol but nothing!

No, it's not on me.

Yes the burden of proof is on you because by providing the link you have claimed that in those instances that wine means non-alcoholic. Since you made the claim then you need to provide the evidence. If you can not then you should not build a belief on it. Likewise you have not provided any evidence that the bible says one can only be great if they do not drink alcohol. All you have done is provide one verse removed from its context and no explanation for that context. Bear in mind that I stopped drinking alcohol back in early 2001 when I started dating a girl who said she could not have me drinking alcohol around her because of past issues. She was happy for me to keep drinking while we were living in different states. However I stopped drinking that very day. So my motivation is not because I want to justify being able to drink. 

Pr. 20:1 for start

Also, this article explains what seems to be contradictions.

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVanswers/2008/04-10b.html

Read the first part of the article and it relies on personal opinion as to what is meant. That is simply not good grounds for basing doctrine or belief on. 

Just for the record I have never once taken the phrase 'good wine' to mean higher alcohol content. While I don't know a great deal about wine I do know that alcohol content is not what determines if something is a good wine or not. Yet the link provided claims I argue something I do not. I have read up to the heading of Joseph, Antiquities II.V.2. i noticed it was essentially repeating itself so if there is something else you would like me to read that is after that then you will need to point it out to me by letting me know the heading.

Yes, I read the link you gave. It gave distorted views. When the Bible says, "you must not drink wine or any other alcoholic drink", I'm not twisting anything. I'm just quoting.

True you are just quoting a very small selective part of scripture. however that does not mean you are giving the whole story. Tell me what kind of gospel message would I be presenting if I just went around saying "Your all sinners"? Would I be giving a faithful and accurate representation of the gospel if I just left it there and made no mention of Christ's sacrifice and love? Of course I wouldn't. likewise you are not giving a accurate picture by cutting it off where you did. A explanation of that passage along with more context has been provided yet you have not explained how that fits in with your view. I am following a conversation between an athiest and christian at the moment and the athiest claims the bible instructs rape victims to marry their rapist. The athiest is coming up with that argument by doing exactly what you are doing. Quoting one small bit of scripture and ignoring the verses around it which paint a very different picture indeed.

"and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink." That's what I'm talking about. Not sure where "razor" came from.

Except when reading the verse the do not drink wine bit is addressed to the woman and the reason given for that instruction then follows where it says for you will bear a son. To read that the no alcohol part applies to the child is reading with a pre-formed opinion so one sees what they want to see. In any case lets assume the article you linked is correct in its claims about meaning of words. Then this verse says he should not drink fullstop. Not just not drink alcohol but nothing!

No, it's not on me.

Yes the burden of proof is on you because by providing the link you have claimed that in those instances that wine means non-alcoholic. Since you made the claim then you need to provide the evidence. If you can not then you should not build a belief on it. Likewise you have not provided any evidence that the bible says one can only be great if they do not drink alcohol. All you have done is provide one verse removed from its context and no explanation for that context. Bear in mind that I stopped drinking alcohol back in early 2001 when I started dating a girl who said she could not have me drinking alcohol around her because of past issues. She was happy for me to keep drinking while we were living in different states. However I stopped drinking that very day. So my motivation is not because I want to justify being able to drink. 

No, I don't.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Blessings Gigman

Bible verses related to Alcohol from the King James Version

Ephesians 5:18 - And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Proverbs 20:1 - Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Proverbs 23:29-35 - Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? (Read More...)

Isaiah 5:22 - Woe unto [them that are] mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:

1 Timothy 5:23 - Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Leviticus 10:9 - Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: [it shall be] a statute for ever throughout your generations:

Romans 14:21 - [it is] good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor [any thing] whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

1 Timothy 3:8 - Likewise [must] the deacons [be] grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

Hosea 4:11 - Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Isaiah 5:11 - Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, [that] they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, [till] wine inflame them!

Luke 7:34 - The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

Proverbs 31:6 - Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Numbers 6:3 - He shall separate [himself] from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.

Romans 13:13 - Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

Luke 21:34 - And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and [so] that day come upon you unawares.

Galatians 5:21 - Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:10 - Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Isaiah 28:7 - But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble [in] judgment.

1 Corinthians 5:11 - But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

Luke 1:15 - For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

Proverbs 23:20-21 - Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: (Read More...)

Titus 2:3 - The aged women likewise, that [they be] in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, (Read More...)

Luke 7:33 - For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

Habakkuk 2:15 - Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to [him], and makest [him] drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!

Ezekiel 44:21 - Neither shall any priest drink wine, when they enter into the inner court.

Proverbs 23:20 - Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:

Titus 1:7 - For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

Daniel 1:8 - But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.

Isaiah 28:7-8 - But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble [in] judgment. (Read More...)

Isaiah 5:22-23 - Woe unto [them that are] mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink: (Read More...)

Proverbs 31:4 - [it is] not for kings, O Lemuel, [it is] not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

Judges 13:4 - Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean [thing]:

Genesis 9:21 - And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? (Read More...)

1 Corinthians 3:17 - If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are.

Matthew 11:19 - The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Isaiah 5:11-12 - Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, [that] they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, [till] wine inflame them! (Read More...)

Proverbs 21:17 - He that loveth pleasure [shall be] a poor man: he that loveth wine and oil shall not be rich

Deuteronomy 29:6 - Ye have not eaten bread, neither have ye drunk wine or strong drink: that ye might know that I [am] the LORD your God.

Matthew 24:49 - And shall begin to smite [his] fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

Isaiah 28:1 - Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty [is] a fading flower, which [are] on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Thank you, taking notes!