IGNORED

Which version of the Bible do you prefer?

BeeThere

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I often listen to a modern translation in my car, and when I am reading. But when it comes to scripture memorization, I prefer the KJV. I would read the KJV regularly, but the old language slows me down a bit.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,987
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

I've heard from several different sources that the NASB (New American Standard Bible) is the most accurate word-for-word translation but I'm not a Hebrew / Greek scholar by any means. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I've heard from several different sources that the NASB (New American Standard Bible) is the most accurate word-for-word translation but I'm not a Hebrew / Greek scholar by any means. 

NASB is certainly very good, but I prefer the English Standard Version.

Bless you.

Edwin.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I don't have a favourite as such. It depends on what I am doing. I have found The Message very useful for understanding the Psalms. I read a few in The Message and then looked at same one in a different translation and saw that it was saying the same thing. However I would not use it in a bible study.

As has been said NASB is one of the best word for word translations. However while useful at times that method can miss the point of the passage because it focuses on the word. This doesn't make much of a difference in some passages but more in others.

I like NIV for the notes it provides (although others have provided similar notes now) as generally the notes tell you about alternate views on the passage. Other than that I'm not really a fan of the NIV.

RSV & NLT (revised standard version & new living translation) are my main go to ones more because I like the language and how it flows. I make a habit of not building doctrine based on a word or two and also make sure I look at numerous translations before forming views that I would be less open to question on. Doesn't stop me from having an opinion of course!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I use the NASB for its word for word accuracy. I also use the New King James.  I use other versions but not as frequently as those two. And I sometimes use the KJV just for quotes when speaking to others since some people object to other versions

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

to me it depends on the original manuscripts that are used for the translation.

I personally use the NASB that was published in the 1970's.   However they republished it in the mid to late 90's and changed some things that I personally just can't accept.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/01/1965

Yes, it was. There have been a few others but this was the first one translated this way.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I often listen to a modern translation in my car, and when I am reading. But when it comes to scripture memorization, I prefer the KJV. I would read the KJV regularly, but the old language slows me down a bit.

I only use the KJV Bible.  I have a set of the Bible on cd from the KJV and listen to it while driving down the road.  I just started going back through it again for about the 3rd time. 

I find the KJV much easier to listen to than reading.....   Alexander Scorby is my favorite.   The 19 years I worked the southeastern part of the state with Xerox, I drove anywhere from three to six thousand miles a month    half that driving  time was listening to Alexander reading me the Bible.  I couldn't even begin to know how many times I've heard the New Testament.  It takes 19 hours to hear it all.

As you I am about to start again and dwell more on the old testament.   That I believe takes about 65 hours if I remember correctly.

• Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I use the NASB for its word for word accuracy. I also use the New King James.  I use other versions but not as frequently as those two. And I sometimes use the KJV just for quotes when speaking to others since some people object to other versions

Thats a rather good idea. Never thought of it like that