Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ayin jade

are biblical examples important?

12 posts in this topic

While not commandments, do you think examples in the bible are important to follow or not follow in the case of bad things, or does it matter?

Whats an example of a "bad thing" in which there is no command?

Whats an example of a "bad thing" in which there is no command?

That's a good question.

Suicide for instance. 

1 corinthinas 3:17. Kjv says defile, other versions say destroy. The word can be accuratly translated destroy. This my view. Not everyone will agree with me on this. But for the sake friendly debate, lets say I am wrong about that.

Suicide does matter. God has every tear we ever dropped in a bottle, every hair has a number. God loves us enough to send His only beggoten to die horribly to pay for our sins. Someone who commits suicide has opted out of casting all thier anxiety on God. I do not say this lightly, as I have had a pretty miserable life and at one time I was even tying a noose for my neck, but God stopped me. He gave me so much peace I was weak and He took my sorrow. Nothing is impossible with God. He will make a way when there seems there is no way. To me, killing oneself is turning your back on that Love of God. Its saying to God I dont want this gift you gave me. And we only get one. I see plenty In the bible that should say not to commit suicide, even though it dont say it word for word. God will give peace at the lowest point of life, and i know this from experience. I believe God cares about every thing in our life so much we dont even consider it, as i said earlier in this thread, every hair has a number. That screams precious.

I replied in this way because I think the bible has a word concerning everything in life. Any time I need and answer, I go to The Book.

Ok my topic is the op. About examples. Not about a specific one altho I offered one when someone asked. 

Do examples of behavior in the bible matter or do only commandments matter?

Well the law says not to work on the Lord's day, yet Jesus healed on that day. 

Another time Jesus went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath. Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Stand up in front of everyone.”

Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?” But they remained silent.

He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus.    

I think that the law delivers a message beyond strict interpretation if I understand the words of Christ.  Mercy can take the place of justice as it does with God sending His only Son.

The funny thing is, I have seen people use the law both ways.  Depending on how it suits them, they will either defend it or negate it.  The thread on polygamy comes to mind.

So yes, I do think that examples absolutely matter.  We have that demonstrated by certain acts of Jesus...another would be the woman caught in adultery...should Christ

have thrown the first stone?

He was, literally,a the ONLY one who had the right of stone throwing and He refused and forgave the woman instead.  He did not stone her as the law required.

The law was not given so that those who interpret it can have it both ways....like the court system we have today.  It was given to define and show sin....the more someone

urges the law take the place of grace, the more sin shows up....as Paul eloquently tells us.

Ok my topic is the op. About examples. Not about a specific one altho I offered one when someone asked. 

Do examples of behavior in the bible matter or do only commandments matter?

I take it I misunderstood your original intent. Sorry about that. Taking into consideration what you said now I would say colossians 3:23 would be a good guide for behavior.

col. 3:23...

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord, and not unto men.

There are other verses that hint on behavior like, psalm 37:8 which says cease from anger and forsake wrath. Thats one The Lord was stern with me on as I have anger issues and its a constant battle. if one Is truely seeking God He will instruct and guide ones behavior. God intends us to live the gift of life in a way thats pleasing to Him. 1 peter 1:16, and leviticus 20:26 command us to be holy, even as He is holy. This can ONLY be achieved thru the spirit working through us. Another thought I have on behavior is found in galatians chapter 5 where it speaks on fruit of the spirit...love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and SELF CONTROL. the fruit of the spirit has to do with behavior.

there are people, even christians, who suffer under such oppression and depression (and sometimes mental illness) that they can't cope with life. i know there are many who believe that suicide is an unforgivable sin... that it is murder, and there's no opportunity afterward to repent.

i disagree.

i believe that Christ died for our sins, past and future. when we accept Christ that doesn't guarantee us a life free from the despair that sometimes might drive one to suicide. it's wrong, i'm not saying otherwise. and i believe God's heart breaks for each one of His children that take their own life. i believe that He grieves for them and then welcomes them into the comfort of His embrace in heaven.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0