ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

While not commandments, do you think examples in the bible are important to follow or not follow in the case of bad things, or does it matter?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

Whats an example of a "bad thing" in which there is no command?

That's a good question.

Suicide for instance. 

Ok my topic is the op. About examples. Not about a specific one altho I offered one when someone asked. 

Do examples of behavior in the bible matter or do only commandments matter?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Well the law says not to work on the Lord's day, yet Jesus healed on that day. 

Another time Jesus went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath. Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Stand up in front of everyone.”

Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?” But they remained silent.

He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus.    

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I think that the law delivers a message beyond strict interpretation if I understand the words of Christ.  Mercy can take the place of justice as it does with God sending His only Son.

The funny thing is, I have seen people use the law both ways.  Depending on how it suits them, they will either defend it or negate it.  The thread on polygamy comes to mind.

So yes, I do think that examples absolutely matter.  We have that demonstrated by certain acts of Jesus...another would be the woman caught in adultery...should Christ

have thrown the first stone?

He was, literally,a the ONLY one who had the right of stone throwing and He refused and forgave the woman instead.  He did not stone her as the law required.

The law was not given so that those who interpret it can have it both ways....like the court system we have today.  It was given to define and show sin....the more someone

urges the law take the place of grace, the more sin shows up....as Paul eloquently tells us.

Guest LadyC

there are people, even christians, who suffer under such oppression and depression (and sometimes mental illness) that they can't cope with life. i know there are many who believe that suicide is an unforgivable sin... that it is murder, and there's no opportunity afterward to repent.

i disagree.

i believe that Christ died for our sins, past and future. when we accept Christ that doesn't guarantee us a life free from the despair that sometimes might drive one to suicide. it's wrong, i'm not saying otherwise. and i believe God's heart breaks for each one of His children that take their own life. i believe that He grieves for them and then welcomes them into the comfort of His embrace in heaven.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

1 Cor. 10 speaks of the children of Israel in the wilderness. v. 6 Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil thing as they also lusted. 7.And do not become idoliters--. 8. Nor let us commit sexual immorality.....and in one day 23,000 fell. 9 nor let us tempt Christ...and were destroyed by serpents. 10. nor complain...and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11. Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Clearly we have examples, both good and bad illustrating how God deals with people. While we are under the convenant of grace, we still must remember that God chastens those He loves. He dealt severely with those who did not rightly handle the Arc of the Covenant correctly. We need a propper fear of the Lord and to handle His Word, His mercy seat and grace with reverence and awe. We are not to neglect so great a salvation. We serve a holy God. To me, the examples are more meaningful than the commandments, but that is how I compute or learn, and is how I remember things. I am sure you know all of that.

While not commandments,

do you think examples in the bible are important to follow

or not follow in the case of bad things,

or does it matter?

:thumbsup:

Every Word

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

And Every Life

Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:

And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:

They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;

(Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. Hebrews 11:35-38

Becomes Dear To The One Who Believes

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope. Romans 15:4 (NIV)

As I Read It

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

The Bible  contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers.

Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy.

It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter.

Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet.

Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.

It is a mine of wealth, a Paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given to you in life, will be open in the judgment, and be remembered forever.

It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and condemns all who trifle with its holy precepts.

From The Front Of My Gideon New Testament