Edwin

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

In what way is Adams transgression typical of what Jesus would do?

Rom 5:14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was

to come. 

Thank you.

Edwin.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

1 Tim 2:14

And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.

Adam *chose* to follow Eve into her exile from the garden, and by doing so she, through the promised "seed of the woman", was redeemed.

(That Adam's choice was a sin is an important, but separate issue!)

Likewise, Christ chose to follow us into sin (in a manner of speaking; He was made sin), so that we could be redeemed.

Guest shiloh357

In what way is Adams transgression typical of what Jesus would do?

Rom 5:14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was

to come. 

Thank you.

Edwin.

Adam was not type of Christ in the transgression he committed.   He was a type of Christ in that just as Adam served as man's federal head in the Garden, Jesus was man's federal head on the cross.

When Adam sinned all of humanity was polluted by the sin nature inherited from Adam.   When Jesus was on the cross, he represented all of humanity and paid the price for Adam's sin on our behalf.

Thank you both for your comments.

My thinking is influenced somewhat by,

1Ti 2:14 Adam wasn't deceived, but the woman, being deceived, has fallen into disobedience; 
1Ti 2:15 but she will be saved through her child-bearing, if they continue in faith, love, and sanctification with sobriety.  Hebrew names version

Now here is a clue. What did Jesus do to save His bride

Every blessing..

Edwin.

Guest shiloh357

Thank you both for your comments.

My thinking is influenced somewhat by,

1Ti 2:14 Adam wasn't deceived, but the woman, being deceived, has fallen into disobedience; 

1Ti 2:15 but she will be saved through her child-bearing, if they continue in faith, love, and sanctification with sobriety.  Hebrew names version

Now here is a clue. What did Jesus do to save His bride

Every blessing..

Edwin.

Jesus gave his life for His bride according to Ephesians 5.   What are you getting at?

Indeed, Ephesian 5:25-32
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

(I suggest Adam did this too. I'm not saying he acted with the same fore-knowledge as Christ, but he still chose to follow Eve into her exile from the garden, which then allowed her to have offspring, which then allowed her to be redeemed. Paul in other places says Adam is guilty of introducing sin into the world, but in a paradoxical way his sin allowed Eve's salvation.)

That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Paul is saying that human marriage is a model of the relationship of the Christ to the church. We see this evidenced in scripture in several places. Offhand:
Adam taking on sin to save Eve.
Boaz redeeming Naomi's land and taking a gentile bride in Ruth.
The Commandment "though shalt not commit adultery": note that adultery occurs in a marriage, whereas fornication is among the unmarried, and while wrong is not the subject of the commandment. God seems to have placed a special emphasis on unfaithfulness inside of marriage.
Unfaithfulness to God in Israel is referred to as a whoring wife throughout the OT, reinforcing the idiom of the marriage as a model of a right relationship to God.
Paul in other passages places special emphasis on those sins that are contrary to marriage, for example Rom 1:24-28.

I think 1 Tim 2:15 is a separate thought than v14 before it, but it is interesting to see them linked. Eve, by her childbearing, was able to be saved.

Thank you shiloh357 for your question.

You will recall I said "Now here is a clue. What did Jesus do to save His bride"

Answer.   2Cr 5:21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 

"He who knew no sin permitted Himself to be made sin", in order to save His bride, you and I.

Adam who knew no sin permitted Himself to be made sin", in order to save His bride, Eve.

Remember, we are told than Adam was not deceived, he knew exactly what he was doing.

Bless you.

Edwin.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

Indeed, Ephesian 5:25-32
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

(I suggest Adam did this too. I'm not saying he acted with the same fore-knowledge as Christ, but he still chose to follow Eve into her exile from the garden, which then allowed her to have offspring, which then allowed her to be redeemed. Paul in other places says Adam is guilty of introducing sin into the world, but in a paradoxical way his sin allowed Eve's salvation.)

I am sorry, but that is not what the Bible says! 

Gen 3:23-24 "Therefore the LORD God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken. So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life."

Adam didn't follow his wife into her exile, she followed him into his exile. In Romans 5 Adam is blamed for the sin, not women (in fact nowhere in scripture is Eve held responsible, though Paul makes in clear in 1 Tim 2 that she sinned first)
Edited by Reformed Baptist

The "following" I'm referring to happened earlier, in Gen 3:6, when Adam chose to also eat the fruit. That is when Adam made a choice and was not deceived. Exile from the garden was the result of their sin. I guess in my mind the act of eating is equivalent to the exile, which is what's implied in Gen 2:17.

Or are you saying that Eve could have sinned, and not been exiled???

-that's not the significance I see in the him and man in v23-24; rather that he as the head of his family in a patriarchal setting was driven out, and therefore his family (Eve) with him.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

i don't believe the Bible says that Eve Sinned.....   it says she fell into transgression because she was quite deceived..

The Bible also states that Adam brought sin into the world....

Actually they brought the knowledge of sin into the world......    don't forget that they had been running around naked for some time until they ate of the fruit and realized they needed to cover themselves......    sin was there, but knowledge of it was not....

that's the reason I tell people that we are not guilty of anything Adam did for his sin is not passed onto us, but the ability to know of our own sin in our own lives.     Adam didn't make us all evil with that original sin talk.......    he gave us the ability to know better than to sin and there is no longer any excuse for our actions....