IGNORED

What does God say about scary movies and and books?

lars36

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/09/1999

I've always enjoyed watching and reading scary things, but I've always wondered what God thinks about them. Are they bad to watch or read?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I've always enjoyed watching and reading scary things, but I've always wondered what God thinks about them. Are they bad to watch or read?

I watch scary movies. But this is something that everyone must decided on their own to do or not. If you feel wrong about it then they are not for you.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/01/1965

I watch scary movies. But this is something that everyone must decided on their own to do or not. If you feel wrong about it then they are not for you.

Good advice. One thing I ask myself is, is it doing my any bodily harm, which includes the brain. We should never do anything, at least not intentional, that would do any damage to "God's Temple" which is our body. God does not say to not do drugs, or at least not that I am aware of, but it is Biblical not to because we are doing harm to the Temple of God.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

As Christians, we need to guard our hearts and minds and our eyes from evil.

Psalm 101:3 (NLT)

I will refuse to look at
    anything vile and vulgar.
I hate all who deal crookedly;
    I will have nothing to do with them.

In fact, we are to guard all our members from evil: I remember the old childhood chorus we once sang in Sunday School:

***Youtube link remove**

**Please do not post video links outside of the video forum, all videos must be approved in the appropriate forum **

** Honestly, Floatingaxe you should know better **

Edited by ncn
you tube link removed

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Hi Lars if you like scary things 1Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour....

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

1 Thessalonians 5:22 "Abstain from all appearance of evil."

Ephesians 5:8 "For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light"

Ephesians 5:11 "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."

Thanks for making this thread. I too was a big fan of horror, scifi, and comic books growing up.

With an abundance of our heart the mouth speaks. So if all you know and put in there is the world. Then when you speak you speak of that. Mathew 12:34 "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh."

For example, I can recall being at places in life and thinking about famous one liners from movies, or something a worldly figure said or did. But after reading the bible I think more about bible characters and events. And I think about what did Jesus say about something. Holding on to that knowledge now. If you fill your heart with the word of God you speak of it instead of the world.

You can have things of light/positive that have nothing to do with Jesus Christ.

The 1980's Superman is a great example of this. He was a very righteous and noble character, often saved the world from baddies and sought peace not violence.  But he did not save the world from its sin like Jesus did.      Look at Superman today - man of steel - this Superman steals clothes out the back of a car, causes rampant violence and destruction instead of peace, and kills people on the screen!  Ok the folks who made the movie SHOWED superman doing that. But they only did that because thats how dark society has gotten. They crave all that stuff.  The point is Supermans  light has diminished.  The light of Jesus Christ never diminishes, it is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

I use to love halloween.  But after being saved by Jesus I didn't even care about it anymore. I no doubt still have much worldly knowledge in my brain.  At this point I do not have a desire to put anymore in there. Because it feels futile at this point, if the bible is the only thing that leads to God, (and it is), then all other books are merely a distraction from the way or path. 

I still read other books here and there, but I feel guilty or weird about it. Like its time I could be giving to the bible or studying God or talking about God to someone. The way I feel now I just don't want drama around me. I like the peace VS the chaos of the sin-loop.

Fear and uncertainty are weapons for the devil.  No one is perfect, but you have to be mindful of the things you are doing or watching so you don't get too involved and forget God.  You invite the vampire (devil) into your home (heart)   Its much easier to give in to the devil when you are drunk, hence be sober, be not drunk on the wine.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

They are pretty fun.  I like the psycho killer ones the most

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Hi Lars if you like scary things 1Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour....

sobering......what is scary, is the number of believers that for onr reason or another, disregard this advice.

I avoid these things.  I don't find them beneficial for anyone...Christian or not.  There are other things I also avoid.  For the same reason.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

What fruit comes from such movies and books?  Can a bad tree bear good fruit?  Either you are saying these movies and books are good, or you are feeding yourself from a bad tree.  Remember, you become what you take in.