• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

I been wondering about how monologue sermons came to be in church. I see Jesus interacting a lot with most anyone; where as today we get a sermon and no interaction for questions to help get a better understanding from the sermon.

There may be a need for more interaction about what the sermon is trying to convey.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

I been wondering about how monologue sermons came to be in church. I see Jesus interacting a lot with most anyone; where as today we get a sermon and no interaction for questions to help get a better understanding from the sermon.

There may be a need for more interaction about what the sermon is trying to convey.

Don't forget the sermon on the mount! That what didactic monologue, as is most of the preaching we see in Acts - the nature of preaching is monologue, the word means to herald or proclaim, not discuss and this is the biblical pattern! Of course there are other opportunities to dialogue and that is useful teaching tool! However in our post post modern society where truth is a personal thing rather then an absolute we need more monologue and less of 'this is what i think the text means' - we need to hear what God is saying not what people think he should be saying! 

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  08/12/1986

The important thing I try to remember is a preaching to them and not to start preaching at them.

Don't forget the sermon on the mount! That what didactic monologue, as is most of the preaching we see in Acts - the nature of preaching is monologue, the word means to herald or proclaim, not discuss and this is the biblical pattern! Of course there are other opportunities to dialogue and that is useful teaching tool! However in our post post modern society where truth is a personal thing rather then an absolute we need more monologue and less of 'this is what i think the text means' - we need to hear what God is saying not what people think he should be saying! 

I agree, and I am thinking that some after hearing may not understand. If this was the case then they are left

to their own thinking what the sermon meant. On the other hand is someone gave a sermon and after took questions and gave biblical answers all would know what to think and all would be able to understand and grow instead of hearing a sermon and figuring out the meaning by them self or with others that do not have the biblical answers.

Just a thought.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings coheir

…15FOR THE HEART OF THIS PEOPLE HAS BECOME DULL, WITH THEIR EARS THEY SCARCELY HEAR, AND THEY HAVE CLOSED THEIR EYES, OTHERWISE THEY WOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES, HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, AND UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEART AND RETURN, AND I WOULD HEAL THEM.' 16"But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear. 17"For truly I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.                                                Matthew 13:15-17

Jesus spoke in parables,talk about monologue!!!!But He does explain why....He took stories from everyday life to communicate spiritual truths to people with open minds.But parables concealed truths from the prideful "know -it-all" minds like the Pharisees who were not at all open to the revelations from God........When the message is delivered (or the preaching of Gods Word) is given in a sermon it is the same thing....we receive revelation by the power of the Holy Spirit.......there is nothing to discuss..Discussion is reserved for other gatherings ,like  Bible Study etc....

With love-in Christ-Kwik

Blessings coheir

…15FOR THE HEART OF THIS PEOPLE HAS BECOME DULL, WITH THEIR EARS THEY SCARCELY HEAR, AND THEY HAVE CLOSED THEIR EYES, OTHERWISE THEY WOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES, HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, AND UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEART AND RETURN, AND I WOULD HEAL THEM.' 16"But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear. 17"For truly I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.                                                Matthew 13:15-17

Jesus spoke in parables,talk about monologue!!!!But He does explain why....He took stories from everyday life to communicate spiritual truths to people with open minds.But parables concealed truths from the prideful "know -it-all" minds like the Pharisees who were not at all open to the revelations from God........When the message is delivered (or the preaching of Gods Word) is given in a sermon it is the same thing....we receive revelation by the power of the Holy Spirit.......there is nothing to discuss..Discussion is reserved for other gatherings ,like  Bible Study etc....

With love-in Christ-Kwik

Hi kwik, Im glad you are getting well, good to see you here and active.

I agree a good sermon by a good pastor can not be beat, I enjoy that very much.

As we see hear at worthy, and I'm one of them, many do not understand the word as well as others.

I understand the sermon is the sermon and bible study is bible study.

I have in the past heard a sermon and did not completely understand, so I was thinking others may

have encountered this as well, maybe not though, it may just be me.

What I was thinking was something like this;

a pastor gives his selected book and verses to Sunday school teachers then they discuss it in Sunday school

then you go out and hear the sermon it might would help those new Christians a little more. rather than in Sunday school you study matthew chapter 11 and hear a sermon on 1st Corin  chapter 4. I may be complicating things, im good at that.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

I agree, and I am thinking that some after hearing may not understand. If this was the case then they are left

to their own thinking what the sermon meant. 

How so? They have the ability to ask the preacher afterwards what he meant (as long as they are listening to real preaching and not getting it streamed in from another campus) however if several of the congregation did not understand then the preacher has utterly failed to preach a sermon! 

On the other hand is someone gave a sermon and after took questions and gave biblical answers all would know what to think and all would be able to understand and grow instead of hearing a sermon and figuring out the meaning by them self or with others that do not have the biblical answers.

Just a thought.

That wouldn't work in my opinion. A sermon is carefully crafted to leave the congregation with something to take home and apply if the preacher opened up a time of discussion then that point would most likley be obscured by the questions - imagine what the Devil would do with such a situation! There is a reason that the biblical pattern is didactic monologue! There are times for discussion, but primarily we are to be taught by listening to God's word preached and taught - that is the pattern that God has set up and he knows best what we need!    

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings coheir

Thank you ,it feels great to be here ,,,,even if it is just for a few minutes. I do understand what you are saying & that may not be such a bad idea,,,,,good for those that attend Sunday School but not everyone does anyway

But here is another thing to consider.......when we attend service on Sunday I know we all go with the hopes of hearing a Rhema Word,right?Well,on so many occasions, when this happens  (as I have found to be true in my experiences at my church)that is really not what the Preacher was fully prepared for & he receives the Word with the rest of us-lol    Glory to God!

So many times our Pastor had the sermon all prepared and then God has something else in mind and the sermon goes in a completely different direction.......Gods Word ,after all ,is "the Living Word".....

There are so many different churches & they all have their own 'order' in which they have Sunday Service,they even hand out 'programs" but basically when the Sermon is given it is the reading of Gods Word followed by a commentary,,,,,,,,which is an explanation ,I have to agree with Reformed,that if the congregation is having difficulties understanding what was "preached" I do not think the preacher did a very good job?

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Sermons are Gods message to the local body, used to encourage, exhort, correct and teach.  Bible studies is where the Q&A comes into play.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Sermons are Gods message to the local body, used to encourage, exhort, correct and teach.  Bible studies is where the Q&A comes into play.

Yep, for instance my church recently did a study of Ephesians. Our home groups would take the verses that were to be taught at church the next Sunday and discussed them the week before. The following week we would spend half the time discussing the last Sunday lesson and the rest discussing the upcoming verses.

It is amazing how many different approaches, all solid and biblical, people took to the same verses. They awakened different things in different people.

Which is good.