• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Is it just me or is their a lot of confusion over what sin actually is? Sin is not breaking my or your moral code. Sin is not breaking the traditions of men. The bible is very specific about what sin is.

1 John 3:4

Whosoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Why is there so much confusion over what is sin? Is it because so many say we are not obligated to obey any of the law ?  Is it a lack of understanding about the Crucifixion and it's affect on us and the NT/ OT?

It just seems that every time I turn on the TV, read a post from a thread or a blog, somebody is coming up with a new meaning of what sin is. I heard or read some where recently that if the NT didn't say it was a sin, then it wasn't a sin. (There is a lot that is sin that the NT don't cover, like Rape for instance). Where did the thought come from that if something offends somebody then it's sin for everyone? Or That everyone can decide for themselves what sin is ( most would call this personal revelation).

Just curious if it is just me or if anyone else sees it. It's almost like we the church need to go back to basics and start with the simple things again, like What is sin? 

What is sin?

Sin is the transgression of the law

Why is the above so hard to understand?

Comments and elaborations welcome.

Firestormx

Joseph

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Amen!

Proverbs 30:6

Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

I see many people make things into a sin which are simply not a sin.  I consider doing such a thing a sin in itself.  

What is everyones reading of the law?  I consider us sinners who can never keep the law.  What must we realize about the law?  That we can never keep the law!  Who then can be saved?  Those who give up to establish their own righteousness.

Edited by Wildstar

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I would disagree that people say we are not obligated to any of the law......   everyone that I personally know who says no to the mosiac laws believes we are obligated to obey a new set of commands given by Jesus and not the laws of Moses.

When you just say that we are no longer obligated to obey any of the law and leave it at that it makes new covenant keepers sound awful.......   and we are not.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

Is it just me or is their a lot of confusion over what sin actually is? Sin is not breaking my or your moral code. Sin is not breaking the traditions of men. The bible is very specific about what sin is.

Whosoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Why is there so much confusion over what is sin? Is it because so many say we are not obligated to obey any of the law ?  Is it a lack of understanding about the Crucifixion and it's affect on us and the NT/ OT?

It just seems that every time I turn on the TV, read a post from a thread or a blog, somebody is coming up with a new meaning of what sin is. I heard or read some where recently that if the NT didn't say it was a sin, then it wasn't a sin. (There is a lot that is sin that the NT don't cover, like Rape for instance). Where did the thought come from that if something offends somebody then it's sin for everyone? Or That everyone can decide for themselves what sin is ( most would call this personal revelation).

Just curious if it is just me or if anyone else sees it. It's almost like we the church need to go back to basics and start with the simple things again, like What is sin? 

What is sin?

Firestormx

Joseph

I agree that the church needs to get back to basics.

Sin certainly is transgression of the law, and that is good 'bumper sticker theology' but it needs a little more unpacking then that :D 

For example;

1) What does 'transgress' mean?

2) To what 'law' is John referring? 

Think for a moment about the sermon on the mount where the Lord Jesus Christ takes a series of six examples from the law and shows how it is possible to transgress those laws in the heart, so for example a heart of anger towards another person is transgression of the law not to kill! 

Nor is this all that sin is, Paul has another definition! Romans 14:23 ....whatever is not from faith is sin. (NKJ) here Paul presents sin in a far more far reaching way then John does in his first epistle. He presents sin as being anything at all that is not of faith. So, for example, keeping the a law of God through our own efforts would still be sin in light of Rom 14:23!

There is also much more to be said as well, for example;

1) sin is what leads to death (Rom 6:23),

2) sin is anything that separates us from God (Is 59:2) 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

What is sin?

Firestormx

Joseph

Sin certainly is transgression of the law, and that is good 'bumper sticker theology' but it needs a little more unpacking then that :D

For example;

Think for a moment about the sermon on the mount where the Lord Jesus Christ takes a series of six examples from the law and shows how it is possible to transgress those laws in the heart, so for example a heart of anger towards another person is transgression of the law not to kill! 

Nor is this all that sin is, Paul has another definition! Romans 14:23 ....whatever is not from faith is sin. (NKJ) here Paul presents sin in a far more far reaching way then John does in his first epistle. He presents sin as being anything at all that is not of faith. So, for example, keeping the a law of God through our own efforts would still be sin in light of Rom 14:23!

What is sin?

Firestormx

Joseph

For example;

Although the preceding verses use food as an example, I like the direction you take.

One of the most enigmatic and deep scriptures I know with regard to sin, come from the verse before  the one you quote..

Rom 14:22  The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves. 

It's really deep.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Other than the sabbath law, what law is it that people are saying it's ok to break???

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I think the problem is that the Lord tells us that the law is now written on our hearts.  If it was still written on stone tablets, we wouldn't have such a problem, but God's laws are written on our hearts and man isn't really heeding what's there.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Other than the sabbath law, what law is it that people are saying it's ok to break???

I'm being not descriptive on purpose. I'm not trying to call anyone out up here or start anything. I'm genuinely curious about this. However, I've heard whether it be in person, TV, or here people say we don't have to follow any of the OT law anymore because it has been fulfilled completely in Christ. 

Guest LadyC

i think in many cases the answer to the 'why' question is bigotry. yep, i know that's an offensive word and nobody wants to be guilty of it, but the bottom line is an inability to accept (in this case) what scripture says because it goes so deeply against everything they've ever believed or been taught about something. and even though it is wrong, i can understand that tendency sometimes in cases where scripture is totally silent on a subject. but in cases where scripture is NOT silent, and something is discussed in scripture (old, new, or both testaments) as being either being allowable or forbidden, there really should be no wiggle room. and if scripture dictates that something is allowable for some but not for others, well, there's no room to wiggle there either. it is what it is.

but there are those who just can't accept it because it offends them so deeply on a personal level.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I would think most Christians know what Sin is defined as, if they read their Bibles.

SIN

(Sic)"...The origin of sin is a mystery, and must for ever remain such to us. It is plain that for some reason God has permitted sin to enter this world, and that is all we know. His permitting it, however, in no way makes God the author of sin."

What is sin?

Firestormx

Joseph