GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

A friend we'll call Adam wrote the following to me...

God's chosen people has always been the Church, though primarily composed of the geo-political body of Israel for a time, but now expanded to include the elect from all tribes and tongues. The current day nation of Israel is no more God's chosen people than America or any other nation is. I pray for the peace of Jerusalem, as well, and for the repentance of the nation of Israel, who as a whole rejects the Messiah and has been cut off, and who are idolaters and cannot rightly be considered God's people in any sense.

The promises were made to the true seed of Abraham, Christ and those who are in Him. Please read Galatians 3.

First, how do you view Israel (Jews)?

Second, how would you respond to this friend?

God bless,

GE

Guest LadyC

i still see israel as God's chosen people. i believe they are in error about Christ, but i believe that prophecy concerning them as a nation will play out exactly as scripture says it will. and that's what i'd tell my friend, if i were you. hopefully you'll be better equipped to explain the details of prophecy than i would be though!

....how would you respond to this friend....

~

True Seed

And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.

And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon.

And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart;

The family of the house of Levi apart, and their wives apart; the family of Shimei apart, and their wives apart;

All the families that remain, every family apart, and their wives apart. Zechariah 12:9-14

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The state of Israel consists mostly of Jews who are of the tribe of Judah from the House of Jacob (Israel). There are 11 other tribes out there who have been scattered and God has promised to recover them and gather them back to the lands of their inheritance. They kept a wonderful history of their affairs with God for us to have. Let us not forget, they had the true gospel of the Messiah. The law of Moses was the gospel of Jesus Christ in a strict form. The Hebrews who kept this law were saved and entered into the kingdom of God. At some point, the house of Israel falls away from the truth and gets scattered. This sort of happened in two stages, around 700 BC and then again in 600 BC. The tribes are scattered, Judah is taken into Babylon. Then a remnant of Judah returns and vows to never commit idolatry again. So they form a system of rabbis and scribes to learn and interpret the law. Eventually, they add so much to the law and alter the true law of Moses that the Messiah comes among them and they reject him. More specifically, the LEADERS of rabbis and scribes reject him because he challenges their craft. Anyway, they reject the higher law and the apostles are then commanded to take it to the Gentiles. The Gentiles that repent will become adopted into the house of Israel, bear up the kingdom of God, preach the word to the world, and prepare for the return of the Lord. Then the gospel will be brought back to Israel - the first will be the last and the last will be the first.

But rest assured, even though Israel is stuck in the state of rabbinical doctrine, the Lord does remember His people. Do we think the Lord will forget His people? Your friend needs to spend some time in Isaiah, chapters 2 through 14. There he will learn all about the covenant people, the scattering of Israel, the light being given to the Gentiles who will bear an ensign to the nations, and the gathering of Israel. In essence, we who have the gospel now should be doing our best to bring back the Jews to the gospel. It is our responsibility to help them and nurse them back to the full light. "But Zion said, The Lord has forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee." Isaiah 49:14-15

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

God's chosen people has always been the Church, though primarily composed of the geo-political body of Israel for a time, but now expanded to include the elect from all tribes and tongues. The current day nation of Israel is no more God's chosen people than America or any other nation is. I pray for the peace of Jerusalem, as well, and for the repentance of the nation of Israel, who as a whole rejects the Messiah and has been cut off, and who are idolaters and cannot rightly be considered God's people in any sense.

The promises were made to the true seed of Abraham, Christ and those who are in Him. Please read Galatians 3.

God bless,

GE

While most of the Jews today are deceived and without Christ Jesus, Christ still has a plan for them to bring as many of them as possible back into His fold. Apostle Paul explained this in Romans 11, how God blinded Israel in part so The Gospel could go to the Gentiles. So since God Himself did that blindness upon that part of Israel, and Paul said it would continue until the times of the Gentiles is fulfilled, then who is to say the majority of them won't be converted to Christ at His coming?

So Romans 11 would be a good place to start in response to your friend. Then look at the Zechariah and Isaiah prophecies.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Zechariah 8:23

As yet unfulfilled. Those who think that God has finished with the Jews are calling God a liar. God loves the Jews.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

God bless,

GE

While most of the Jews today are deceived and without Christ Jesus, Christ still has a plan for them to bring as many of them as possible back into His fold. Apostle Paul explained this in Romans 11, how God blinded Israel in part so The Gospel could go to the Gentiles. So since God Himself did that blindness upon that part of Israel, and Paul said it would continue until the times of the Gentiles is fulfilled, then who is to say the majority of them won't be converted to Christ at His coming?

So Romans 11 would be a good place to start in response to your friend. Then look at the Zechariah and Isaiah prophecies.

Sound advice Salty.

Scripture clearly states God is not yet done with Israel

I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? Certainly not! But through their fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles. Now if their fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness! .............

For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead

And so I pray for Israel, it is because my Lord loves her, yearns for her and has even wept for her.

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were not willing!

The love of my Love is my heart too!

In Christ, Pat

Edited by Macs Son

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Zechariah 8:23

As yet unfulfilled. Those who think that God has finished with the Jews are calling God a liar. God loves the Jews.

Does he really love the Jews, or is he really just following up on a promise to Abraham?  

Guest shiloh357

God bless,

GE

Sounds like Covenant Theology, to me.   His view would be true if Israel were a type of the church, but they are not.  No such Israel - Church typology can be found anywhere in the Bible.

The problem is that the NT treats Israel and the Church as radically separate.  The NT never refers to the Church in Israelite terminology.   In the OT, God refers to Israel as Jacob.  "Jacob" is a reference to the twelve tribes, but no such imagery is used to refer to the Church.  Romans 11 pretty much torpedoes the notion that Israel is the Church because Romans 11 is an appeal to the Church on behalf of Israel to be blessing to Israel.  So if the Church is Israel or vice versa, Romans 11 makes no sense.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

i still see israel as God's chosen people. i believe they are in error about Christ, but i believe that prophecy concerning them as a nation will play out exactly as scripture says it will. and that's what i'd tell my friend, if i were you. hopefully you'll be better equipped to explain the details of prophecy than i would be though!

Still drinking my coffee here, but I agree.  :thumbsup: