RigMedic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  163
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I seem to run into two different stances on this subject. On one side it seems people believe that once you are saved you no longer sin, but in fact it's impossible for you to sin if you are truly saved. Then there are those that say when you become saved, you desire the things that God desires and you want the things that God wants. You no longer seek provision for the flesh but rather try to do the will of God. It is still possible for you to sin, however it is not something you seek out nor do you dive head first into sin, rather you stumble. You then would stand up, dust yourself off and continue your walk with Christ. I think if it was possible to ever live your life sinless, then Paul would not have wrote about how he struggled with sin in the book of Romans when he said

Romans 7:15-19 NIV

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

Is this just the war between the flesh and the spirit?

If it wasn't for the book of Romans I feel like many people, including myslef, would be left hopeless and constantly questioning their salvation.

I pose another question as well, if sanctification is never fully complete until we receive our glorified bodies, then will we always struggle with sin?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

A born again Christian is no longer a sinner but a saint.  A saint was a sinner previously but I wouldn't classify such a person as a sinner after faith has come.  Sinner is used interchangeably in scripture with ungodly, whereas Saint is used interchangeably with Godly.  So scripturally speaking a 'saved sinner' is an oxymoron.  

Jesus did wash the disciples feet however and said things like "If I don't wash you, you have no part with me" and Jesus washed his feet, yet he said "you only need to wash your feet, but are completely clean, and you are clean" Saying he was clean despite washing his feet, clean already even.  Why would someone clean need to wash their feet?  It's clear Paul had issues with his own flesh.  He classified his outerman as dying yet his heart renewed day by day.  "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."  In 1 john 1:9 it says "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."  showing that confession 'cleanses us from all unrighteousness' and the same book defines what unrighteousness is in 1 John 5:17 "All unrighteousness is sin"  so you are without sin after repentance and belief (the first time).  Whats funny is the prior verse to 1 John 1:9 says if you say you have no sin you make him out to be a liar, then it says if you confess you will have no sin.

I am in the camp that believes it's impossible to have sin after being born again.  This is because I observed the animal sacrifices and considered what they have done.  When someone would sin they would offer their animal sacrifice to wipe away their sin.  Of course only blood can cleanse any sin. (this is one reason why I don't hold the doctrine that praying for forgiveness of sins cleanses anything, but rather it is faith in Jesus sacrifice that is the cleansing).  Anyways a person would lay their hands on the animal sacrifice and pass their sin to the animal.  Then they would bleed it to death to atone for their sin.  All sin leads to death and that is the result of their sin, they can be rest assured their sin is gone at that point.  But Hebrews 10 paints a different picture for us in the New Testaments.

Hebrews 10:1-4 "The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. Otherwise, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins. It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins."

What is Hebrews 10 implying when it says those animal sacrifices couldn't do such things?  It is implying Jesus did what those animal sacrifices didn't do.  When you sacrificed you would sin again and you would have to sacrifice again.  New sin needed new sacrifice.  It says "Would they have not have stopped being offered?"  and it's true.  Once cleansed once for all would no longer felt guilt for your sins.  Those sacrifices couldn't take away sins.  They had to be done over and over and over because new sin would come.  But Jesus offered himself once.  As it says in verse 10 "And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."

Edited by Wildstar

A born again Christian is no longer a sinner but a saint.

A saint was a sinner previously but I wouldn't classify such a person as a sinner after faith has come.  

Sinner is used interchangeably in scripture with ungodly, whereas Saint is used interchangeably with Godly.  

So scripturally speaking a 'saved sinner' is an oxymoron.

~

Beloved, Scripturally

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar,

and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:8-10

Speaking

As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Psalms 103:12

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

A born again Christian is no longer a sinner but a saint.

A saint was a sinner previously but I wouldn't classify such a person as a sinner after faith has come.  

Sinner is used interchangeably in scripture with ungodly, whereas Saint is used interchangeably with Godly.  

So scripturally speaking a 'saved sinner' is an oxymoron.

~

Beloved, Scripturally

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar,

and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:8-10

Speaking

As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Psalms 103:12

amen :D

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I believe Christians can still sin, but we have a new look at sin.  We have a repenting heart.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I don't think it is possible for a born again Christian to not ever sin. We have minds of flesh. Until we depart this fleshly existence, we will always be at war with sin.

Romans 7:22-24 (GW)

I take pleasure in God’s standards in my inner being. 23 However, I see a different standard at work throughout my body. It is at war with the standards my mind sets and tries to take me captive to sin’s standards which still exist throughout my body. 24 What a miserable person I am! Who will rescue me from my dying body?