IGNORED

Banking on line

tigger398

What most people don't realize is their bank accounts ARE online.  Just because you don't use online banking, doesn't mean your account isn't available online.

I use a password manager called KeePass.  I had it randomly generate a password with the maximum number of characters my bank would allow, using uppercase, lowecase, numbers, and special characters.  I could not remember this password if my life depended on it, but it would be almost impossible for today's computers to crack the passwrd hash in a reasonable time.  Here are some things to consider:

• Do not use a password you used at any other site
  • Do not use free or shard WI-FI
  • Do not answer the bank's security questions truthfully (when it asked for the first name of my best friend, I used his last name)
  • Click the 'logoff' button when you're done, don't just close the web browser

Millions of people bank online everyday and very few have problems.  Just use common sense.

:thumbsup:

And Don't Let Your Browser Save Your Banking (Or PayPal) Passwords

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I use an online bank.  Look up Ally Bank.  They have a 1% interest.  You can also take money from any teller and any charges will be reimbursed at the end of the month.

I also use USAA and it's swell too.  They give 100 dollars after a few months of use.  

I like banking online. But my stupid bank keeps doing something stinking annoying every few months. It won't let me log in with my usual password. It did it about a year ago and I had to go to the bank to change it. The site regularly tells you to change your password. But I have trouble keeping track of everything mentally, so I leave it.

So now for the past few months I can't log into my bank account. It sucks because I would like to see my balance without checking it at the ATM before buying groceries. I just don't want to go into the bank to do all of that.

It also has a $10 bank fee each year. The fact I don't work this takes a big chunk out of my food money!.

Argh! Life is so annoying, everything is such a struggle...a fight to survive. Life constantly has problems in it. To do anything involves stress and bother..,for me anyway!

The only 'joys' I have even come with stress and sadness.

Sounds like the bank is enforcing a policy of forcing users to change their passwords regularly, which is a good idea even if it can be a pain sometimes. Its a great idea for important accounts because it cuts down on the chances of an account being compramised if passwords are stolen in a data breach.

Have a look at this site for a solution to remembering passwords and logins: https://lastpass.com/

There's a 1 minute video on the site that'll explain how it works, but its free, and runs on most browsers and Android/Apple phones. I don't work for the company, but have used them for years with no problems.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/01/1965

It may be safer than going to the bank.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

It may be safer than going to the bank.

LoL.....   I hadn't thought of it but you might be right...

I have used it at home. However, I have the files on a BitLocker partition on my computer, my Quicken program is password protected as well as each individual account. So any hacker would have to get by my secure Wi-Fi, computer and files in order to hack my accounts. The good thing about banking online is that you can frequently change your passwords and the banks/credit card companies have their own pretty tight security set-ups. I never, never use my phone for banking, though.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

It's perfectly safe. Is it possible to get your info hacked? Theoretically. But its just as possible for that to happen if you go in and do it as its all computerized.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

A quick guide to making online banking safer (for newbies):

1/ Never store passwords or any other banking details on your computer.

2/ Make sure your computer is secure (anti-viruses, firewalls etc.)

3/ Use a keyboard scrambler if you can.

4/ Never reply to or click on any links from any emails received that claim to be from your bank or credit card company so that you can avoid phishing attacks.

5/ Make sure that your computer is 'physically' secure (do you share it with others? what happen if it is stolen?)

6/ If you have many accounts don't use the same passwords or PINS for all of them. Better to have one account cleared by thieves than all of them.

I have been doing online banking since 1992, and have not had any problems with it, I follow most of the precautions mentioned by others on this thread, they just make sense. My favorite features are being able to check my balance, status of outstanding checks, and being able to make payments without having to mail paper checks - saves time, postage, and the bother of recording payments in a check registry.

I like also, that my bank does not have to be a local bank, it can be anywhere in the country, perhaps even out of country. This means that instead of my local bank wanting $10 a month and not paying me any interest on my checking account (I keep vey low balances), I can shop for banks that are truly free, have no or very low minimum balance requirements, and pay relatively decent interest, and the online service is free. Some even pay you $50 to $100 to open an account. 

Some of these banks have no physical address, or perhaps one branch. I like that because to me it means that my account will not be a likely target of hackers - who would waste time going after such small fish.

Though not a feature of online banking as such, I also like to avail myself of printing my own checks, that way they look the way I want, my own design, and I can leave my name and address off if I like (for annoymous giving).

Technology is just a tool, neither good nor bad, but one can make good uses of it with a little effort. Just as the fact that people have been killed with hammers does not prevent me from owning a hammer, a few rare but bad incidents with e-banking, won't keep me from it's advantages.

For someone like me, who does not drive, it is especially useful, to not have to go to a bank in person, and most of the time, never have to use the mail either - I only do that for the few check I may receive in paper form, and even those I can send a picture of electronically if I like.

Not wanting to make anyone paranoid . . .  but just as I can print my own checks, others can print them also. If one has the routing number and account number (on every check and/or deposit slip), one can print a check for that account. So, if you write a check, and send it through the mail, or hand it to a cashier at the market, or write one as a gift to your friend and her druggie computer savie kid finds it, he can make checks for your account. Chances are, that if you pay close attention to your account, and especially if you get your paper checks back in the mail, you will likely notice such activity, and probably won't end up losing the money in the long run. However, dealing with it can be a real hastle, Therefore, I like the electronic aspect, because I feel better, the fewer people there are handling my paper trail.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I bank online too and haven't had any problems.  I DO recommend changing your password at least every ninety days and NOT using common passwords (like your son's name 123 or something like that.)  I don't use my phone for banking transactions though.  Too easy to hack.