• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/08/1984

I know there's a very confusing passage about marriage in the new heavens/earth, and want to suggest a possibility by which there could be marriage:

Luke 20:27 Then came to him certain of the Sadducees, which deny that there is any resurrection; and they asked him,
 28 Saying, Master, Moses wrote unto us, If any man's brother die, having a wife, and he die without children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
 29 There were therefore seven brethren: and the first took a wife, and died without children.
 30 And the second took her to wife, and he died childless.
 31 And the third took her; and in like manner the seven also: and they left no children, and died.
 32  Last of all the woman died also.
 33 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife of them is she? for seven had her to wife.
 34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
 35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
 36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
 37 Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.
 38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

The solution is very simple. What if the verses 35-36 just refer to women who've been married multiple times, including those in Jewish custom had to marry the husband's brother if he died without children, to preserve the lineage?

In other words, rather than saying nobody would marry in the next life, Jesus would have been saying female Christians would be treated the same as men in the next life, allowed to marry whoever they want rather than being subject to the will of their husbands or being given in marriage by their fathers as was Middle Eastern custom? They would have the authority of the angels, equal to the angels, since as Paul says, Jesus considers all Christians the same regardless of gender.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

There are after all passages which appear to show children will exist in the next life, so logically you would assume marriage as well.

Isaiah 11:8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
 9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I found this thread in the Video Forum for Biblical Topics. I moved it to the appropriate forum.

Guest LadyC

why do you need a solution? are you not happy that there will be no marriage in heaven? hey, i love my husband. i love being married. but i wouldn't go trying to conjure up some obscure meaning to a couple of verses to satisfy my desire to be married on the other side. 

The passage very specifically addresses women who had to marry their husband's brothers under Jewish custom though. I'm just not convinced that it can be extrapolated to refer to all marriage in the next life without additional supporting passages, especially since the Bible makes clear that God blesses marriage. (Hebrews 13:4, Proverbs 18:22)

why do you need a solution? are you not happy that there will be no marriage in heaven? hey, i love my husband. i love being married. but i wouldn't go trying to conjure up some obscure meaning to a couple of verses to satisfy my desire to be married on the other side. 

1. A lot of Christians struggle with this topic, in fact I noticed a forum topic a while back with someone losing their faith over this subject.

2. It would seemingly contradict other teachings of Jesus about God making mankind male and female originally for a reason. (Matthew 19:4-6) Not to mention, again, the fact that God blesses marriage, and marriage was a commandment for church leaders. (1 Timothy 3:2,12; Titus 1:6)

3. It would seemingly contradict passages showing there will be marriage and childbirth in the new heavens and new earth. (Isaiah 11:8-9, 4:1, 65:20, Zechariah 8:5)

Yes, I too did not know there was a problem to be solved, seems to mean that when Jesus said:  

"29“You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30“For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.",

He might have actually meant what He said. Don't confuse the Millennial kingdom with the life of the resurrected people with new bodies. Eternity with God in Heaven as the bride of Christ is superior to the institution of marriage, and procreating to fill the earth, so it seems to me in any case.

Marriage will exsist in heaven, not between man and woman but, check out these verses....

Hosea 2:19, Isaiah 54:5, Jeremiah 31:32, revelation 19:6-9

Well as seen from Jeremiah 2:2, Ezekiel 16:8, and Hosea 1:2, God already considers Himself married to Israel and has for thousands of years.

I will say though in looking closer that 1 Corinthians 15 seems to show spiritual bodies are involved in the resurrection after the Milennial Reign. Although even then if the bodies were similar to angels, you get into the issue of the Nephilim with Genesis 6:1-2. Complications everywhere. :)

• Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Mat 22:30

For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

copyChkboxOff.gifMar 12:25

For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

copyChkboxOff.gifLuk 20:35

but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Why would there be marriage in heaven? Will there be procreation? Will we not love each other as Christ loves us, equally? Trying to fit this life into the next is impossible, since we have nothing but scripture to use as a guideline, and scripture provides only a glimpse of what it will be like. Anything else is only a guess at best.

Remember, there will be a new earth and a new heaven. The old will pass away and all things become new.