Committed Wife

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

When it comes to reading and studying the Bible, people often become overwhelmed and confused about versions of the Bible.

While the KJV can often be used by many churches, new babes/converts may not always understand the language.

Some versions that have helped me to learn more about God and grow spiritually include:

The New King James

The Amplified Bible

The Message Bible

They all basically say the same thing, but they are presented differently.

There are many others, Check them all out and decide what is best for you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

Welcome Commited Wife!  contentious question  i think there are threads already started  You could post Your opinion there  quite lively

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The Amplified was the first I ever read some 55 years ago. I now use NKJ a lot. But I learned that not all are translations. The Living Bible and the Message are paraphrases and are full of more opinion than the translations. So I don't refer to them. It is a bit like seeing the movie after reading the Book. The movies are embelished to make them more attractive and interesting, but they lack the truth of the real story.

Willa

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

When it comes to reading and studying the Bible, people often become overwhelmed and confused about versions of the Bible.

While the KJV can often be used by many churches, new babes/converts may not always understand the language.

Some versions that have helped me to learn more about God and grow spiritually include:

The New King James

The Amplified Bible

The Message Bible

They all basically say the same thing, but they are presented differently.

There are many others, Check them all out and decide what is best for you.

I have both a NKJ and and Amplified, I love them both.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

Wow, I read the Old King James, the Living Bible, The NIV and my favourite, the NKJ. They all are similar yet some give a better interpretation, hence my NKJ preference.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

The Amplified was the first I ever read some 55 years ago. I now use NKJ a lot. But I learned that not all are translations. The Living Bible and the Message are paraphrases and are full of more opinion than the translations. So I don't refer to them. It is a bit like seeing the movie after reading the Book. The movies are embelished to make them more attractive and interesting, but they lack the truth of the real story.

Willa

considering that there are many words in Greek and Hebrew that can not be directly translated word for word, could it be that a paraphrase might actually be closer to the original writers thoughts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

I use the NKJV, KJV, MKJV, ESV, and slews of commentaries....mostly Gills, Clarke, Barnes.....I just started reading the KJV when I was saved a little over 3 yrs ago and just can't seem to get into other versions.....not gonna make the claim that it's better - have to use it, or anything like that. I just prefer it over the rest.  :) Psalms in the KJV to me is just about as beautiful as it can get.

God Bless,

Hip

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Willa

considering that there are many words in Greek and Hebrew that can not be directly translated word for word, could it be that a paraphrase might actually be closer to the original writers thoughts?

I think it would be an accident if that were the case, unless they were fluent in greek and hebrew and read the original language, then put it in their own words, it might get closer.  When I paraphrase something I put someone else's translation in my own words and add my own interpretation.

I could read John 7:38 to say "He who believes in Jesus will have powerful life giving words gush out from deep within him.."That is my take on a literal translation.  Or rivulets of life giving water will be pumped through his heart.  Or  after a person believes in Christ he will vomit water out of his belly.    

I chose this passage because it is the one Wycliffe translators had difficulty translation for an island people who lived off rain and dew, and had no other  source  of fresh water.  Jesus is likening the Holy Spirit to the life giving artesian well of fresh water.

But putting our interpretation on someone else's translation,  and putting that in our own words, can get us far off track.    

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I prefer ESV for my daily reading, but my pastor said that he likes to read the Message when it comes to the prophets and other difficult to wade through books. So I think I'll use both next time I try to read the prophets.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Willa

I think it would be an accident if that were the case, unless they were fluent in greek and hebrew and read the original language, then put it in their own words, it might get closer.  When I paraphrase something I put someone else's translation in my own words and add my own interpretation.

I could read John 7:38 to say "He who believes in Jesus will have powerful life giving words gush out from deep within him.."That is my take on a literal translation.  Or rivulets of life giving water will be pumped through his heart.  Or  after a person believes in Christ he will vomit water out of his belly.    

I chose this passage because it is the one Wycliffe translators had difficulty translation for an island people who lived off rain and dew, and had no other  source  of fresh water.  Jesus is likening the Holy Spirit to the life giving artesian well of fresh water.

But putting our interpretation on someone else's translation,  and putting that in our own words, can get us far off track.    

I would hope that people translating the Bible would be very fluent in Greek and Hebrew..   if many were on a committee, it would cut down on the agendas.