• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  1

Does your church body practice this?

1 Cor. 5:11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person.

2 Thess. 3:14 And if anyone does not obey our word in this epistle, note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed.

Guest shiloh357

My church does.  We have a system where if a member is practicing homosexuality, living in open fornication or other type of sexual immorality, and they refuse to repent of their sin, they can be dis-fellowshipped.  Fortunately, we don't have that problem, though.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

it has happened once in my last church when a youth leader was found to be having a relationship with a young woman he had been ministering to. When approached he chose to leave the church rather than break off the relationship.

In my church if a male is ministering to a female it is always done with an open door and the presence of someone else next door. 

Thank you both for the replies.  Fez, I have to clarify that I want to know if your church body practices "breaking fellowship"?  You didn't really say if the procedure is practiced?  But, since you commented I'm thinking you meant that your church does?  Just wanted to clarify.  :-)

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Does your church body practice this?

1 Cor. 5:11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person.

2 Thess. 3:14 And if anyone does not obey our word in this epistle, note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed.

Many individuals do not practice this so I hope the churches do may be  more individuals will see it.

I agree coheir.  I have a lot to post about this and think this issue is much over-looked within the church and should be addressed.  I was very surprised to see the immediate post by shiloh357, (and encouraged).  :mgcheerful:

In His Love,

Suzanne

Surely, there are more who practice this?  If not, why not?  If so, please tell me about it.

Thanks.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

I find this curious, is the church for saints or sinners?? To teach and help the sinner to change his way no matter how long. Do the members no longer sin daily and need forgiveness but are pure??

• Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I find this curious, is the church for saints or sinners?? To teach and help the sinner to change his way no matter how long. Do the members no longer sin daily and need forgiveness but are pure??

I think we need to understand what you mean by saint or sinner.

In my view, a saint is a person who has believed on Jesus and his completed work, and been born again, receiving a new nature. Therefore, a saved person no longer has a nature which desires to sin, but rather, might sin, but their desire is do please God. The change is from a sinner to a saint. Only a saint, with the new creation, is a member of the church scripturally.

A carnal Christian might commit a willful sin. It is when a carnal Christian commits a willful sin, and when approached shows no remorse but rather defends or boasts. That is the person who needs to be put out of fellowship, in hopes they repent. They are to be treated as one who is not saved, or a sinner.

Now, how do we treat a sinner? Well, a sinner needs to hear the gospel of salvation. They are not members of the church, as they have a different spiritual makeup, with a desire for themselves and sin, rather then God. They need to hear the plan of God, why it was needed, Who accomplished it, and what Jesus did.     

I agree Qnts2..........and technically, we've misunderstood the great commission and the setup of the church.  Church was supposed to be, if you will, a classroom setting for the believer, to be equipped to fulfill the great commission, which was to "GO out unto them", then if they are willing to receive The Word of Truth, they come into the church to be equipped, edified as well, to be able to "go out" and lead others unto the Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  The church of today, has it all backwards and just like the breaking fellowship issue, we have not set up the church correctly as instructed in the Scriptures.  But, rather have set it up according to the desires of men, rather than the desires of God.

In His Love,

Suzanne