IGNORED

can you believe whatever you want?

alphaparticle

Step

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

By

Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. Hebrews 11:3

Step

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

~

Sometimes in defense of the faith (apologetics, if you will), we loose our focus.

I have done this and many have as well.  

I used to debate with atheists and I realized my pride was more at stake than the gospel.  

As Alistair McGrath rightly put it: apologetics is not about winning the debate, it's about winning people to Christ.  

Not slamming anyone here, but sometimes we have to go back to the beginning.

:thumbsup:

No

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9

Kidding~!

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
John 1:1-5

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

Sometimes in defense of the faith (apologetics, if you will), we loose our focus.  I have done this and many have as well.  I used to debate with atheists and I realized my pride was more at stake than the gospel.  As Alistair McGrath rightly put it: apologetics is not about winning the debate, it's about winning people to Christ.  Not slamming anyone here, but sometimes we have to go back to the beginning.

======================================================================================

As Alistair McGrath rightly put it: apologetics is not about winning the debate, it's about winning people to Christ.  Not slamming anyone here, but sometimes we have to go back to the beginning.

Who said it was about winning a debate?

So are you saying to go ahead and compromise TRUTH so as to then "Win people" to Christ?  Sort of an "Ends Justifies the Means" scenario? 

Have you read 1 Sam 15 and a metric ton of other Scripture regarding this very same genre?

I bring the TRUTH!!  Is my presentation curt and rough around the edges, Yes----guilty as charged.  Is that misconstrued as offensive, Yes....especially when I upset their World-View applecart.  I don't "save" people....GOD the Father does.  It comes down to HIS WILL, The Holy Spirit, and the Individual's Heart Condition when reckoning with The Creator.

I have my failings as we all do....but I'll tell you this gray:  I will never EVER compromise the TRUTH.  You can Double and Triple Stamp that with no quitsies.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/13/1955

Can anyone prove that God exists besides looking around at CREATION? Can man create?..no.Can anyone prove God doesn't exist? This question will be debated forever.Since neither can be proven one way or the other all we can do is go about our every day living and not worry so much about trying to prove it ..since nobody will ever win this debate.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

Can anyone prove that God exists besides looking around at CREATION? Can man create?..no.Can anyone prove God doesn't exist? This question will be debated forever.Since neither can be proven one way or the other all we can do is go about our every day living and not worry so much about trying to prove it ..since nobody will ever win this debate.

(1 Thessalonians 5:21) "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."

It's not about "winning"....it's about A Reckoning.  The Number 1 Threat as I see it, is what's masqueraded through academia and what they call "science" where they in some cases surreptitiously or downright overtly say.... "there is no GOD".  Do you know the %age of people (even with a Christian Upbringing) after 4 years of "higher learning" renounce the Christian Faith or are convinced "science" has proven there is no GOD? It's a BIG Number!  Well I got something for them...

You only have 2 choices: Random Chance (Nature) or Intelligent Design (GOD). The Laws of Physics, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Information, Specific Complexity, Irreducible Complexity, and Common Sense Rule Nature out. If you summarily rule one of the choices out.... where does it leave you?

Based on the Law of Non-Contradiction--- 2 things that are contradictory can't exist @ the same time.  It's better stated as: either Randomness or Intelligent Design Created us and the Universe. This is not a False Dichotomy (Bifurcation Fallacy) because there is no THIRD CHOICE. Now if I summarily refute Randomness the choice MUST BE ID. YOU MAY THEN conjure thousands of possibilities under ID; however, it has ZERO to do with the tenets of first postulate.

Step 1:

DNA/RNA/"Functional Proteins" NEVER spontaneously FORM then polymerize "naturally", outside already existing cells, from nucleotides and aminos, respectively.

It's Physically and Chemically IMPOSSIBLE.

That's just the Hardware!

DNA "CODE"/Software------------------Design(Intelligence)--------------------Designer!

To refute:

1. Prove that the Genetic CODE is not....."CODE"/Software. OR....

2. Prove that Atoms/Molecules have Sentience and Intelligence.

Step 2:

To be the CREATOR, HE MUST be outside of Time (1LOT---1st Law of Thermodynamics) and could tell the End from the Beginning.  There are roughly 2000 Prophecies of which 4/5 have already come True with 100% accuracy.

The End.

I don't know what your definition of 'Proof" is.  I find that it changes like the wind depending on your "a priori" World View.  This looks "air tight" to me.

99.999% of People I debate already have the issue settled in their mind...that's fine, "Free Will".  However, if there's "ONE" that say's.... let me take a closer look @ this or by "accident" comes across the dialogue and it makes them hesitate and look further....well, Praise The LORD!!!!

(Romans 1:20) "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

So are you saying to go ahead and compromise TRUTH so as to then "Win people" to Christ?  Sort of an "Ends Justifies the Means" scenario? 

Would you have someone go to hell who believed Christ, their Lord and Saviour Created the world in 6 periods of time rather than 6 literal days?  Glad you are not the Judge.

Would you have someone go to hell who believed Christ, their Lord and Saviour Created the world in 6 periods of time rather than 6 literal days?  Glad you are not the Judge.

~

To Me It's Strange Territory

And the evening and the morning were the third day. Genesis 1:13

When Science Clearly Backs Up Six Literal Days In Genesis Chapter One

And the evening and the morning were the fifth day. Genesis 1:23

Yet The Worshipers Of Scientism Misused Science

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. Genesis 2:2-3

To Deny The Simplest Facts

~

The

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Genesis 1:31

Foundational Truths

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. Matthew 24:35

Are Sadly Repeated, Even On Worthy

Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. Hebrews 3:12

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

I think you can believe whateve you want if you are a bible literalist...after all, the sun stood still in the sky.  Anyone with an iota of science education would realize what that would mean for our planet. 

I think you can believe whatever you want if you are a bible literalist...after all, the sun stood still in the sky. 

Anyone with an iota of science education would realize what that would mean for our planet.

:thumbsup:

I Think

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: 1 Timothy 6:20

One Can Believe Whatever One Chooses

Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding? Isaiah 29:16

Except In The Lord's Holy Bible

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

If One's Idol Is Scientism

But were mingled among the heathen, and learned their works.

And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them.

Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils, Psalms 106:25-37

And If Death Is

But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death. Proverbs 8:36

One's Goal

~

I Think

They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new gods that came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.

Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee. Deuteronomy 32:17-18

Only Jesus Saves

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

Science Won't

Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:10-12

Love, Joe

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  589
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know much science.  I confess if the majority of scientists claim the earth is very old I will believe they have reasons for doing so that are scientific--i.e. based on some kind of hard evidence.  This is not to say that they are right; only that they are not baseless.  The conspiracy notion fails to move me; for there are a good many Christians who believe in an old earth and even an evolutionary process--thus if there were a conspiracy to undermine Christianity by 'proving' a literalistic reading of Genesis 1 to be false, it failed, utterly.  It only threatens literalistic readings of Genesis.  If such a reading is requisite for salvation; well, then I guess the Bible has lied to us: and I guess St. Augustine is not in heaven, since he, millennia before this whole debate, did not read Genesis in that way.

Now, is there any positive evidence for a young earth--or is all YEC's have are negative arguments showing how the methods of OEs are bunk?  Is the only grounds for believing the earth 6000 years old Genesis; or can this be scientifically validated (well, obviously not) or at least scientifically corroborated/supported?

For instance, I have seen several times the virtue of carbon dating criticized: carbon dating is only reliable up to....what was it, 50,000 years?  So are YECs admitting that the earth is 50,000 years?

clb

For instance,

I have seen several times the virtue of carbon dating criticized:

carbon dating is only reliable up to....

what was it,

50,000 years?  

So are YECs admitting that the earth is 50,000 years

~

Bible Believers

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

Believe

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

Whereas Science (Fiction) Mocks God's Word

Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. Mark 13:31

While Hoping

Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Genesis 3:1(a-c )

The Material Man

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Genesis 2:7

Created Himself So They Jeer Jesus

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9