• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

"And I say to  you, make friends for yourselves by means of the wealth of unrighteousness, so that when it fails, they will recieve you into eternal dwellings."

Anybody have an answer for this one?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

What's the question?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

The context is the unjust steward, who when he knew he was going to be fired, met with and reduced the amount owed by his master's debtors so that they would have reason to be grateful to the steward when the inevitable firing occurred.

1 He also said to His disciples: "There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods.
2 "So he called him and said to him, 'What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.'
3 "Then the steward said within himself, 'What shall I do? For my master is taking the stewardship away from me. I cannot dig; I am ashamed to beg.
4 'I have resolved what to do, that when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.'
5 "So he called every one of his master's debtors to [him], and said to the first, 'How much do you owe my master?'
6 "And he said, 'A hundred measures of oil.' So he said to him, 'Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.'
7 "Then he said to another, 'And how much do you owe?' So he said, 'A hundred measures of wheat.' And he said to him, 'Take your bill, and write eighty.'
8 "So the master commended the unjust steward because he had dealt shrewdly. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light.
9 "And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home.

The wording of v9 is a little convoluted in most translations, but it's basically saying that the unjust steward was wise to use his current circumstance to provide a better future for himself. That is the element of the steward's character that is praised, not his dishonesty. Similarly, as we pass through and interact with this world, we should shrewdly (but not dishonestly) use our circumstances to build a better reward in our future home.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

but do not leave out the last two sentences of this parable.

Luke 16:13
13 "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one, and love the other, or else he will hold to one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."
NASB

Guest Geoff Primanti

If you make someone your friend by giving to them when they are in need, you may have a place in heaven through such a thing because they will welcome you into their own mansion if it has room, should you fail to enter in through lack of understanding the truth and the consequential actions of such an understanding.  (see also Luke 13:21-30).

This is getting meaty.

Matthew 25 speaks of the difference between the actions of the sheep and the goats which applies to the actions resulting from a living faith in Christ.

Jesus also said somewhere that if someone gives to a disciple a cup of cold only in the name of a disciple, he will by no means lose his reward.  Because he who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward, and he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man will receive a righteous man's reward.

The unrighteous servant knew that he would loose his job,because he has been stealing.

So he is looking for friends and give them bribes using his masters money.

Hoping that He will be accepted By his friends;when he is out of work.

He served two masters;  his boss and money.

jesse.