IGNORED

What is the OT reference quoted in James 4:5?

FreeinChrist

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy.

James 4:5

I know I read somewhere one commentary that no one knows where James is quoting from, which may be true but I was wondering if it might be the passage of Proverbs 3:31-34, and if not does anyone known of the proper OT address?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I don't believe James is quoting scripture, but stating an overview of scripture.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

The Holy Spirit is jealous and does not want to share us with anything or anyone. He wants all of us. The enemy is cunning and finds our weakness and uses that to take our hearts and mind off Jesus and the Holy Spirit envies anything that takes our love from Jesus.

Deut. 4: 24 speaks of God being jealous is this what you were thinking about??

• Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

I don't believe James is quoting scripture, but stating an overview of scripture.

That could will be the case.

The Holy Spirit is jealous and does not want to share us with anything or anyone. He wants all of us. The enemy is cunning and finds our weakness and uses that to take our hearts and mind off Jesus and the Holy Spirit envies anything that takes our love from Jesus.

Deut. 4: 24 speaks of God being jealous is this what you were thinking about??

Littlelamb, you might have the right scripture, I really don't have a completely good idea, and all honesty just a little clueless on this one.   If it is the Spirit of God, yes your verse in Deuteronomy sounds good.  But if it is man's own spirit, maybe Proverbs 3:31-34, but not even sure about that.

Maybe the real question should have been is James talking of the Holy Spirit, or are own human spirit?

Thank you both for your responsesl

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy.

I know I read somewhere one commentary that no one knows where James is quoting from, which may be true but I was wondering if it might be the passage of Proverbs 3:31-34, and if not does anyone known of the proper OT address?

the Holy spirit does not lust or envy so it must be human spirit that lusteth to envy.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

the Holy spirit does not lust or envy so it must be human spirit that lusteth to envy.

lust isnt a bad thing.  envy on the other hand i dont quite understand

Matthew 5:28 But I say to you, That whoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

it appears to be bad.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Matthew 5:28 But I say to you, That whoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

it appears to be bad.

lust can also be interpreted into a longing to know Jesus and to make him known.

but yes strong sexual desire is a form of lust too

it appears to be bad.

lust can also be interpreted into a longing to know Jesus and to make him known.

but yes strong sexual desire is a form of lust too

in the verse James 4:5 it says lusteth to envy. envy is the wanting of something someone else has.

In this verse submitted by 19Duggerfan (op). I think it is bad and it is not the holy spirit in one that lust

until it becomes envy. I do not believe the holy spirit in each christian would envy what another has.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Is he quoting something that we don't accept as canon?  I'm not that familiar with all the other books that were around then.  I don't remember anything like that in Jasher or Enoch, but I haven't read a lot of those other books.