Wildstar

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

It just seems like maybe there is no reading comprehension on the part of some.  Or sometimes it feels like they are just ignoring parts of scripture altogether to support their belief.  Would this just be counted as unbelief in the word of God?  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I don't think so.  Let's examine why.

We are not all at the same place in our understanding and we do not all arrive at the same conclusions on the same day.  This op is a bit like another thread that

was started a week or so ago.

The Holy Spirit is responsible for leading us into truth.  No one has all truth and no one has all understanding.

Guest Butero

In my thread, I dealt with people that intentionally pervert scripture to win an argument.  You are questioning a person's ability to understand what they are reading.  The only problem here is you could be the one who is off in a given situation.  We all think we are right and the other person is wrong. 

On the issue of ignoring scripture, here is what I have found.  People come in with a pre-conceived idea of what is right, and they have their list of scriptures to back them up.  Then someone comes in with scriptures they don't fully understand that contradict their view.  They aren't going to just abandon their view, because they still have their scriptures, and they figure the other person is taking the passages they are presenting out of context.  They have to be because they are wrong.  It is not hard to understand. 

What you would ideally want is to find people that are not tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine, but at the same time, are sincerely seeking truth and willing to at least consider the other side.  That is difficult because it requires a change in a long held belief or even a change in their own lifestyle.  I hate to say so, but I mostly agree with what Sevenseas said.  I didn't agree with her in the thread I started because my purpose was not the same.  I was speaking of a person who was intentionally perverting scripture to win an argument, not someone who may just misunderstand scripture.  In this case, I think she makes sense. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/01/1965

It just seems like maybe there is no reading comprehension on the part of some.  Or sometimes it feels like they are just ignoring parts of scripture altogether to support their belief.  Would this just be counted as unbelief in the word of God?  

Some parts of the Bible are very hard to understand and some are very easy to understand. Most are somewhere in between. Most of it, I have to study to understand.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  823
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/13/1981

I don't think so.  Let's examine why.

We are not all at the same place in our understanding and we do not all arrive at the same conclusions on the same day.  This op is a bit like another thread that

was started a week or so ago.

The Holy Spirit is responsible for leading us into truth.  No one has all truth and no one has all understanding.

I agree :) 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

It requires the Holy Spirit tutoring you.

It requires due diligence to study on your part.

Without both, either a little knowledge can be dangerous, or even the Bible can be used to steer people to untruth.

For example, the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew chapters 5-7) is under the Old Covenant. It has a New Testament address. But the Law of Moses was still in effect, and the sermon was divine commentary on how the Old Testament had been mishandled and misinterpreted by the leaders of the Jews. There are certainly new covenant nuances in that sermon but it's purpose was to get the old covenant back on track accusing humanity of unpardonable sin as preparation for the new covenant grace.

Galatians 3:24-28 (NKJV)
24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 2:11-21 (NKJV)
11 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands—
12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.
13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation,
15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace,
16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.
17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near.
18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,
20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,
21 in whom the whole building, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord,

The New Covenant did not take effect until the death of Jesus.

Hebrews 9:16-17 (NKJV)
16 For where there is a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is in force after men are dead, since it has no power at all while the testator lives.

So everything up till that point was old covenant (even if in the New Testament portion of the Bible).

The same is true with the "Lord's prayer" (a name man gave it btw, it really is the disciple's prayer / John 17 is the Lord's prayer)... forgive us as we forgive others... Old Covenant! New Covenant is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved (John 3:16)... confess your sins (to God) and he is faithful and just to forgive us all sin (1 John 1:1 through 1 John 2:17 if you want the full context and dwell on 1 John 2:1a to get the intent of the Lord's heart on all of this as he has not begin winking at sin...)...

There are great morals and absolute truth in the O.T. and it must not be discarded as some NT believers do... you cannot grasp the full meaning of the NT without at least a working knowledge of the OT.

Always bear in mind the big picture of what God is up to... what he plans to bring about... and the stupid pet doctrines we all try to impose upon the word of God grow strangely dim...

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

i think that the Bible isn't really hard to read after you have read it all one time.....    not everyone does that.

Many parts of the Bible can't be comprehended without having read other parts of the Bible....    After I had actually read the whole thing one time I found that things made much more sense as I have gone through it again and again.

Listening to it several times also brings out things that you might miss in reading.

Your statement about some people ignore parts to fit into their beliefs reminds me of an older lady in a Church of Christ many years ago....    a couple of us were discussing something after Sunday school and this lady overheard our conversation and she made the comment that whatever it was we were discussing was not in the Bible.    I asked to see her Bible to show it to her in her own book when I discovered that she was correct......   it wasn't in her Bible.....   she had torn two pages out that discussed it.   Sometimes they do more than just ignore scripture.

That's been 30 years ago and for the life of me I can't remember what it was about, but I do remember it pertained to some Church Doctrine I disagreed with.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

ROFLOL the lady actually tore out the pages she disagreed with! Oh ho ho too too funny!

:biggrinflip:

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

the lady was in her 70's.....   I just closed her Bible and gave it back to her, smiled and changed the subject....   It  was a life experience for me while I was still younger....

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

The truth is, those who seek to know the truth will never stop learning, no matter how long they have been at it.  Only those who settle for partial truth stop learning or think they have the answers..