• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

The church wasn't aware of all the facts before agreeing to do the funeral.  I am fine with their decision. 

I agree with Butero.  What be next gays wanting to be married in that church?

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

If they had had issues with it they shouldn't have scheduled it. To initially say yes then back out at the last minute-that's dishonest and quite frankly wrong.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  24
  • Birthday:  10/15/1996

I agree that 

If they had had issues with it they shouldn't have scheduled it. To initially say yes then back out at the last minute-that's dishonest and quite frankly wrong.

Exactly...if you don't want to do it, don't. But don't say yes then back out. Plus they lost an excellent opportunity for the preacher to speak to and have the attention of everyone at the service.

Guest Butero

What is a Christian minister supposed to say at such a funeral?  Does he preach a message against sodomy?  He certainly can't give any sincere hope that the guy is in heaven.  It appears to me that this was scheduled under false pretenses and the church did the right thing in backing out.  I know that if it was my church, and someone came to me to do a funeral like that, if I knew up front the man was gay, I would have refused.  If I was misled and found out later, I would have either refused or I would have told the people up front that I can't offer any hope to this person, so they would be better off to go elsewhere.  This truly is a no win situation for the church, but I fully support them cancelling the funeral.  Seriously, what can a Christian minister say at such an event?  Logan says he missed an opportunity to preach.  What is he supposed to preach about?  Does he turn to a text about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorah to try to scare any homosexuals into getting saved?  Is that appropriate at a funeral? 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Some things we do sure appear more appalling and we can read about the procedure as for them. I am not claiming this was the case, but what if a person has homosexual feelings, yet wants to follow Christ, and is struggling about it? Again, I am not saying this was the case with this news, but should a homosexual person be denied a funeral at a church? Probably there's a difference if the person was actively practicing it or not, and apparently the former was true as for what had happened.

But what if the person was going through a struggle about it. Does not God look at the state of our heart?

What sayest thou?

Guest Butero

It is a completely different situation.  That is what I say.  The person in this instance was in a homosexual marriage.  In your situation, the person did have a hope of being in heaven, so it makes a world of difference. 

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The only reason this is in the news is the gay agenda. Apart of the gay agenda says to play the victim. There is a book called "after the ball" that outlines the gay agenda, its goals, and its plans and tactics to reach these goals. I have seen christians told to leave a church just because they didnt believe exactly what the church doctorine said.

The truth is either way it would have been bad publicity for the church wether they refused upfront, or they cancelled. It would have made headlines either way. This is how it is now between the gay community and the church. Get used to it. They are just getting warmed up.

edit. I do agree with the bible though when it talks about "dealbreakers" ... its connotation is negative. We should honor our word.

That maybe true-but the right thing to do would have still been to refuse up front or not at all.

Guest Butero

I would agree with you Patriot, if those in the church knew the man was gay and in a homosexual marriage from the start.  From this article, it appears to me they did not know that was the case.  I wouldn't doubt it was hidden on purpose to create a story.  I really would need to ask the Pastor and those involved in the leadership of that church a couple of questions before I could give an absolute opinion on what occurred. 

I am curious Patriot, and I already asked this.  If you were the minister of the church, what in the world do you say in a sermon for a man that was in a homosexual marriage, when you know that according to scripture, he died with no hope?  Do you call the guy a "good and loving husband?"  What in the world do you say? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

If everyone knew up front the guy was a homosexual, I would agree that they shouldn't have cancelled it, but according to the article, it seems clear they weren't aware of it.  I believe the church was well within it's rights to cancel the funeral, and they did try to make other arrangements. 

They WERE well within their rights to cancel but...was it the right thing to do?  What purpose was served?  Their actions saved no soul or changed any heart. It just made the church look mean.