GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

So a couple years back I started a discussion in the inner and outer court about homosexuality particularly relating to Romans 1. Took me a while to find it but consider  a breakdown of Romans 1.

This weekend I heard a sermon that really boggled my mind about how I view this passage.

1. What are your thoughts on Homosexuality and Idolatry in relation Romans 1? (And let's throw in Romans 2 as well for context.)

2. Relating to Idolatry:
A) Where do we spend our time?
B) Where do our resources go?
C) Where are our affections?
D) In what ways do you find yourself looking for peace in creation instead of the Creator?

3. How are we to love people who partake in such lifestyles?

4. How are we to love people who join this discussion board who have this lifestyle?

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

3 and 4/

The only answer I can give (and it may be wrong. I'll stand corrected if I am) is to look at it this way:

When you give yourself to Jesus, you have decided that you don't want to be a sinner anymore. Whether you continue to sin or not is a different thing entirely, and I'm not really going to discuss that now.

If you are a homosexual man and you say to yourself "wouldn't it better, if I wasn't like this? Wouldn't it be better if I found women attractive and not men? That way I could get married, have kids and do so without deceiving anybody including myself."

Well, in my opinion if you say that then at least you are wanting to change.

But, if you are a homosexual man and you say to yourself "I like being gay. I love the pleasure that I get from it. In fact I'm proud to be gay and I don't want to change."

Well now there's a serious problem.

We can argue until the cows come home about the sin of homosexuality, in fact we can argue about any sin but I think that we do give homosexuals a harder time than other sinners, probably because it's easier for us because after all, homosexuality is one sin that most of us are never going to be tempted into!

I could feasibly be tempted into lust (towards women) because I do find women desirable.

I could also be tempted to steal, because after all I don't think I'm alone here in saying that sometimes I've wanted something that I can't afford to buy.

I could even be tempted into taking drugs - they are supposed to make you 'high' and give you pleasure, after all.

But I could NOT be tempted into homosexuality because I just do not find other men physically attractive. In fact quite the opposite, I find the thought of getting physically intimate with another man quite repulsive.

As most of us are not homosexual, it's easy for us to feel superior because it's one sin that's never going to tempt us, therefore we can point the finger at homosexuals without feeling guilty in any way. A lot of Christians are complete hypocrites when it comes to this.

So, I'm not in any position to judge them or what they do. All I can ask is:- do they acknowledge homosexual activity as being wrong and want to change who they are, or are they proud of it? If you are proud of any sin, then you clearly don't want to change. You have given yourself to such desires and do not want what God wants. Anybody who acknowledges that a sin is a sin can find strength through Jesus but when somebody calls evil good and good evil, then what hope is there for them?

My thoughts about dealing with homosexuals is not to judge them but to ask them if they believe that homosexuality is wrong or not. If they accept Jesus and want to change who they are then that's all that matters. It may take some time before they stop practising homosexuality, but I imagine that its one of the hardest sins there is to give up.

A straight man who lives a promiscuous lifestyle, at least has an outlet for his passions - he can marry and relieve his passions that way. A homosexual man has no outlet for his sexual urges because even homosexual marriage is a sin. The only option he has is to become 'straight' (through the power of the Holy Spirit), but when he becomes straight he's still going to be burdened with lust, but at least his desires will be aimed towards females (as God designed).

So if you look at this way, a homosexual man is doubly burdened - not only must he fight the sin of lust, but his passions are all geared wrong in the first place.

Of course everything I've said about homosexual men applies in principle to lesbians too.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Many people know my story. I've come a long way from where I was. And you are right, it is a hard sin to turn from. But finally God has stepped in and helped me with that. Now there is a man in my life that I just think the world of. He is my best friend. He is a widower who was very much in love with his wife. We work together very well, and I won't leave his side unless God disapproves. I would ask that you pray for Him and for God to soften his heart. The first time I hung out with him he read to me out of the bible. We are just friends, and if it's not in God's will I will understand. But I am very fond of him. And ask that you would just pray for the both of us.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Many people know my story. I've come a long way from where I was. And you are right, it is a hard sin to turn from. But finally God has stepped in and helped me with that. Now there is a man in my life that I just think the world of. He is my best friend. He is a widower who was very much in love with his wife. We work together very well, and I won't leave his side unless God disapproves. I would ask that you pray for Him and for God to soften his heart. The first time I hung out with him he read to me out of the bible. We are just friends, and if it's not in God's will I will understand. But I am very fond of him. And ask that you would just pray for the both of us.

Praying.

Guest Geoff Primanti

So a couple years back I started a discussion in the inner and outer court about homosexuality particularly relating to Romans 1. Took me a while to find it but consider  a breakdown of Romans 1.

This weekend I heard a sermon that really boggled my mind about how I view this passage.

1. What are your thoughts on Homosexuality and Idolatry in relation Romans 1? (And let's throw in Romans 2 as well for context.)

2. Relating to Idolatry:

A) Where do we spend our time?

B) Where do our resources go?

C) Where are our affections?

D) In what ways do you find yourself looking for peace in creation instead of the Creator?

3. How are we to love people who partake in such lifestyles?

4. How are we to love people who join this discussion board who have this lifestyle?

God bless,

GE

I've typed out a complete message on the verses in Romans that apply (in the form of two messages as the teaching is from two passages in direct context of each other; divided for the sake of not having one long message) if a moderator will give me permission to copy and paste it.

Guest Geoff Primanti

I would also say very adamantly that the way to love them is not to condone their choice of behavior; because if they continue in it the eternal consequences are unspeakable (except to say that it is best defined by everlasting fire).

I'm not sure a sermon but I'd be interested in what you have to say. Just word it as a discussion instead of a lecture I guess Geoff?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

3 and 4/

The only answer I can give (and it may be wrong. I'll stand corrected if I am) is to look at it this way:

When you give yourself to Jesus, you have decided that you don't want to be a sinner anymore. Whether you continue to sin or not is a different thing entirely, and I'm not really going to discuss that now.

If you are a homosexual man and you say to yourself "wouldn't it better, if I wasn't like this? Wouldn't it be better if I found women attractive and not men? That way I could get married, have kids and do so without deceiving anybody including myself."

Well, in my opinion if you say that then at least you are wanting to change.

But, if you are a homosexual man and you say to yourself "I like being gay. I love the pleasure that I get from it. In fact I'm proud to be gay and I don't want to change."

Well now there's a serious problem.

We can argue until the cows come home about the sin of homosexuality, in fact we can argue about any sin but I think that we do give homosexuals a harder time than other sinners, probably because it's easier for us because after all, homosexuality is one sin that most of us are never going to be tempted into!

I could feasibly be tempted into lust (towards women) because I do find women desirable.

I could also be tempted to steal, because after all I don't think I'm alone here in saying that sometimes I've wanted something that I can't afford to buy.

I could even be tempted into taking drugs - they are supposed to make you 'high' and give you pleasure, after all.

But I could NOT be tempted into homosexuality because I just do not find other men physically attractive. In fact quite the opposite, I find the thought of getting physically intimate with another man quite repulsive.

As most of us are not homosexual, it's easy for us to feel superior because it's one sin that's never going to tempt us, therefore we can point the finger at homosexuals without feeling guilty in any way. A lot of Christians are complete hypocrites when it comes to this.

So, I'm not in any position to judge them or what they do. All I can ask is:- do they acknowledge homosexual activity as being wrong and want to change who they are, or are they proud of it? If you are proud of any sin, then you clearly don't want to change. You have given yourself to such desires and do not want what God wants. Anybody who acknowledges that a sin is a sin can find strength through Jesus but when somebody calls evil good and good evil, then what hope is there for them?

My thoughts about dealing with homosexuals is not to judge them but to ask them if they believe that homosexuality is wrong or not. If they accept Jesus and want to change who they are then that's all that matters. It may take some time before they stop practising homosexuality, but I imagine that its one of the hardest sins there is to give up.

A straight man who lives a promiscuous lifestyle, at least has an outlet for his passions - he can marry and relieve his passions that way. A homosexual man has no outlet for his sexual urges because even homosexual marriage is a sin. The only option he has is to become 'straight' (through the power of the Holy Spirit), but when he becomes straight he's still going to be burdened with lust, but at least his desires will be aimed towards females (as God designed).

So if you look at this way, a homosexual man is doubly burdened - not only must he fight the sin of lust, but his passions are all geared wrong in the first place.

Of course everything I've said about homosexual men applies in principle to lesbians too.

I just wanted to say that I thought this was a very gentle and wise post and I wanted to thank you for writing it. 

There is unfortunately a lot of really negative crap that comes out of the mouth of Christians regarding homosexuals, to the point that it is difficult to even be associated with the same faith as them. The Westburo Baptists are a particularly good example of this. 

Christianity is suppose to be about gentle albeit steadfast beliefs, but always done with love and care. 

Most of what I get from uber conservative Christians is a real homophobia and a complete indifference towards attaining a sense of higher understanding about the condition than "They're possessed by demons." 

It also still baffles me how people read Romans 1 and start spewing about how horrible gays are and then apparently miss Romans 2 which says straight up, "But you shall not judge them for you do the same things." 

And having compassion and understanding is not the same as condoning it. I go to a Methodist Church that is described as a "Reconciliator" which basically means they have full, 100% acceptance of alternative lifestyles. I myself am not comfortable with that position either, but I feel it is more helpful than the other end. 

Notes from Sunday:

===Background to Romans ===
Romans 15:14-25

===The Gospel of Grace and Peace===
Romans 1:1-7
*The Peace of God is found in the Person of Jesus.

The Gospel is not a system but a Person – Jesus.
Peace is internal. We may not have peace this side of eternity.

Romans 1:16-17
*Paul’s boldness is the Gospel resides in the fact that he believed the Gospel is the only thing that can provide true peace and true rest to the human experience.

To be right with God is to be at rest in Him.

===Man’s Attempt to Find Peace Through Creation===

Romans 1:18-25
*There is nothing in God’s creation that can satisfy the longing of the restless soul

God’s Beauty

God’s Power

God’s Order

Idolatry is at the root of sin. Idolatry is replacing the Creator with the creation.

===Man’s Attempt to Find Peace Through Morality===

Romans 1:26-32
*The root of sin is self-centered idolatry; this is when man withdraws his affections away from the Creator and places it on the desires of his or her own heart.

Every man and woman has fallen short of the glory of God.

Examples of Idolatry:
Using people to fulfill you.

Striving to be good to find peace.

Manipulation of circumstances and other people.

Obtaining possessions, power, and/or status.
Finding fulfillment in your job, in sports, in books, in TV shows, etc.

===The Only Source of True Peace===

Romans 2:12-24
*The Morality of man will never provide peace for the restless.

*It is only the perfect righteousness that God provides through the righteousness of Christ that can give peace to the restless and weary soul.

Thoughts?

God bless,

GE

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

, and I'm just looking for some people to communicate with more. I'm a travel agent who also loves to write. I'm the oldest of eight. I'm also disabled.. I went through some abuse growing up. I'm 38, still live with my parents. I would love to get married, I would love to find a guy to even get interested in. My friendship group is pretty much my church, and most people my age are married. It's a struggle, one I don't share much about because being as disabled as I am it's just weird and hard. I really don't know if it's God's will that I marry which is hard in and of itself... Anyway, homosexuality is a hard topic for me. Like I said, I went through some abuse growing up. And then I've had a friend that was bi, but was trying to follow the Lord.. Really not sure where she is now.. I'm confused about a lot of different things right now..