IGNORED

entire sanctification

Guest Geoff Primanti

Guest Geoff Primanti

Willamina, 

as far as I can see from your post, what you have said is not in disagreement with what I have said.

I was contending with what he meant by what he said, not the actual words.

Sanctification will have an effect on the way you live or the word is meaningless.

But you bring up a good point.  The Corinthians Christians were considered carnal by Paul when previously he told them they were sanctified.

Could it be he was speaking to a mixed group; and that the crux of the letter was to those who were truly born again and that they would be able to minister its truths to those who weren't?

Geof Premanti.

Let me explain the breath of life,the spirit of the flesh, and the soul.

1. The breath of life is from God;that gives the flesh life.

2.The spirit of the flesh are all the desires of the flesh.

What the person hungers for in his life. His drive.

Every persons desires are not the same,each have his own lusts and plans.

Some desire to get rich and famous,some just rich and power.Some just fun fun fun. 

Those are the spirit of the flesh.

3,The soul is what he is as a person,some good and some bad.

The essence of a person.

4.All will be judged by their works. what they have done in their life time.

5.Christ came to change that spirit of the flesh, to replace it with the spirit of Christ.

6.Jesus was a man with his own spirit of the flesh,but he denied his own spirit.

He has no ambitions but one; and that is to serve His Father in heaven.

He did not even own a pillow to rest his head.He has the spirit of God in full measure.

7. We need to abandon that spirit of the flesh, and walk in the spirit of Christ.

8. As the flesh ceased to be;so also the spirit of the flesh,but the works will be recorded

for judgement day.

9 There are also many non christians with a good heart;they will be judged accordingly in the second

judgement.

10. Christians will be judged according to their life as a christian,and can receive mercy.

if one dies for Christ sake;he will be accepted;even if he was not perfect.

11.The 144000 are perfect in the eyes of God.They have lived as true christians.

They will be the first  fruits.

jesse.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I believe at the moment of salvation, we are entirely sanctified.

Sanctification simply means 'separated for Gods use'. In the OT, utensils to be used in the Temple, are sanctified for use. They are to be used in the Temple and for Gods purposes. 

So, at the moment of salvation, we are born again, made new, the old man dies, we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, become sons of God, and are sanctified. We are set aside for Gods purposes and use.

1 Cor 1:2

To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:

1 Cor 6:11Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

So, entire sanctification is at the time of salvation. We are now dedicated, and saved, separated from the world, to God for Gods purposes.
Then there is continuing sanctification, which is the continues throughout our lives.  

Qnts2,

I am sorry to inform you that your statements are self-contradictory (as I see them: so please clarify what you are saying).  If we are entirely sanctified at the moment of regeneration and at the same time this is a process that continues after regeneration (as the process of being made more holy in practice); how can it be that the sanctification was entire at the beginning?  Are you saying that entire sanctification has nothing to do with how we behave?

I consider righteousness and holiness (which is given through sanctification) to be practically synonymous.  Therefore I think that you should take 1 John 3:7 into consideration.

Regards,

Geoffrey

Sanctification means separation. In biblical contexts, it is separation for use by God. At the moment of salvation, we are entirely sanctified, separated for Gods use. That is why some scripture verses tie sanctification to salvation as entire sanctification occurs at the time of salvation. There is no part of us which is not separated from the world for Gods use.  

I believe there is entire sanctification, which occurs at the moment of salvation. And then there is continuing sanctification.

The way I like to explain continuing sanctification is as follows. No one is born saved. In our pre-saved life, we of course had needs and learned to do things to get these needs met as best as we could. We wanted to be successful, and for each person we developed an idea of what success was. For some, earning a lot of money was viewed as success. For some, having lots of friends was what qualified us to view outselves as successful. For some, beauty was success. For some, knowledge was success. We learned patterns to achieve success and fulfill our needs. These ways of acting did not line up with Gods design of what people should be and act like. Once we are saved, we are entirely separated for Gods purposes, but our minds were not erased and re-programmed to act as God designed. So, while we are separated for Gods purposes, our actions are based on old patterns. Continuing sanctification is the process of being conformed to Christ. The renewing of the mind, so that our thoughts and actions are more and more Gods thoughts and desires. The process of continuing sanctification is in making our thoughts and actions in line with God so that everything we do is set aside for God and His purposes. While we have already been entirely set aside for Gods purposes, but now we are being conformed and shedding the old habits and way of acting we relied on before salvation and learning to rely on God. Continuing sanctification is God working with us and on us, with us cooperating. If we were not His, entirely set aside for His purposes, He would not work with us to conform us to Christ. Or as scripture says, we are being disciplined as sons.  

Scripture has many differing verses which describe the entirely sanctified saint as our current state. And it also has many differing verses which encourage us on to continuing sanctification to be conformed. I think most people focus on what we have to do, in terms of continuing sanctification, but tend to read past the verse which describe who we are in Christ (entire sanctification).     

Acts 26:18

to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.’

1 Cor 1:2 To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:

1 Cor 6:11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

Hebrews 2:10For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings. 11 For both He who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Hebrews 10:10 By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Hebrews 10:14 For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

Hebrews 10:14 is a very interesting verse. It says we were perfected. Of course, I would never have thought of myself as having been perfected. But then I found perfected in scripture means 'complete'. As believers, at the moment of salvation something so dynamic happens it is amazing. Scripture talks about the old man dieing. It also says that we are crucified with Christ and it is no longer us who live but Christ lives in us. It was Gods desire and intent to make us into what He desired, and our re-birth makes us complete thru His completed work. We are now perfected/complete. Born again. Alive to God. Sons of God by adoption but not just adoption but by His Spirit indwelling in us.

I know that when I started to look at the change the occurs in Christians at the moment of salvation, I struggled as it seemed almost blasphemous to say of myself that I am holy, sanctifed, perfected, a son of God etc etc etc, but, it is all in scripture. God says this about His saints.