IGNORED

Remission of sins

Guest Geoff Primanti

Guest Geoff Primanti

I believe that remission of sins as spoken of in Acts 2:38, Hebrews 9:22, and other verses refers to remission as when a cancer goes into remission.  I believe this through meditation (as in Psalm 1) on 1 John 1:8 and its surrounding context.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Geoff Primanti

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Remitting is a pardon, and in the case of God remitting our sin, it means it is pardoned, forgiven  and not every brought to His remembrance. Such is the power of the blood of Jesus!

Micah 7:18-20

Where is another God like you,
    who pardons the guilt of the remnant,
    overlooking the sins of his special people?
You will not stay angry with your people forever,
    because you delight in showing unfailing love.
19 Once again you will have compassion on us.
    You will trample our sins under your feet
    and throw them into the depths of the ocean!
20 You will show us your faithfulness and unfailing love
    as you promised to our ancestors Abraham and Jacob long ago.

Hebrews 8:12

And I will forgive their wickedness,
    and I will never again remember their sins.

Hebrews 10:17-18

Then he says,

“I will never again remember
    their sins and lawless deeds.”

18 And when sins have been forgiven, there is no need to offer any more sacrifices.

Psalm 51:7

Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Guest Geoff Primanti

Remitting is a pardon, and in the case of God remitting our sin, it means it is pardoned, forgiven  and not every brought to His remembrance. Such is the power of the blood of Jesus!

Then he says,

18 And when sins have been forgiven, there is no need to offer any more sacrifices.

I would also say that when a cancer goes into remission, it is still there but is no longer a threat to the cancer patient because it has been reduced in size and class to the level of benignity.

Not to say that "living" sin can ever be benign, but if it is dead then of course it has no power.

Just as the person in whom sin is dead is dead, and Romans 6:7 definitely applies here.  Romans 8:10 also has application to this discussion.  If you put anything in front of a corpse that would normally tempt a living human being, you can be sure that the corpse will not respond to the temptation in any way at all.

Of course, getting to the place of death to self is a matter of perseverance and faith.  It's not easy or pleasant to die. 

Edited by Geoff Primanti

Guest Geoff Primanti

Also, in context,

[Heb 10:15-18 KJV] 15 [Whereof] the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, 16 This [is] the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 18 Now where remission of these [is, there is] no more offering for sin.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Then he says,

I would also say that when a cancer goes into remission, it is still there but is no longer a threat to the cancer patient because it has been reduced in size and class to the level of benignity.

Not to say that "living" sin can ever be benign, but if it is dead then of course it has no power.

Just as the person in whom sin is dead is dead, and Romans 6:7 definitely applies here.  Romans 8:10 also has application to this discussion.  If you put anything in front of a corpse that would normally tempt a living human being, you can be sure that the corpse will not respond to the temptation in any way at all.

Of course, getting to the place of death to self is a matter of perseverance and faith.  It's not easy or pleasant to die. 

You cannot liken it to cancer. The sins we have been forgiven of by God when we have received Jesus Christ---are GONE!

Guest Geoff Primanti

I'm talking more about the element of sin that dwells in our flesh as spoken of in 1 John 1:8 and Romans 7:18.

But you're right in saying that the sins we have committed in the past (Romans 3:25) are gone.  There is no more record of them; that's absolute for every true believer.

One other thing: the past is updated with every new second that passes.

Forget, His mercies are new every morning.  For the person who abides, His mercies are new every moment!  Because He has begun a good work and He will also complete it.  Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.  If we walk in the light as He is in the light then we have fellowship one with another and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son continually (the verb tense of the original Greek bears out this meaning) cleanses us from all sin.

Of course if you really blunder, it takes some time to repent (confess and forsake your sin) because the act of prayer is involved. And in such a case it may take until the next morning before you will actually feel forgiven again.  (if you are in such a state of roller coaster living).

Now if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to not only forgive us of our sins but to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

That means that His righteousness becomes part of our character and will be the ruling factor in our lives.

Edited by Geoff Primanti

I'm talking more about the element of sin that dwells in our flesh as spoken of in 1 John 1:8 and Romans 7:18.

But you're right in saying that the sins we have committed in the past (Romans 3:25) are gone.  There is no more record of them; that's absolute for every true believer.

One other thing: the past is updated with every new second that passes.

Forget, His mercies are new every morning.  For the person who abides, His mercies are new every moment!  Because He has begun a good work and He will also complete it.  Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.  If we walk in the light as He is in the light then we have fellowship one with another and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son continually (the verb tense of the original Greek bears out this meaning) cleanses us from all sin.

Of course if you really blunder, it takes some time to repent (confess and forsake your sin) because the act of prayer is involved. And in such a case it may take until the next morning before you will actually feel forgiven again.  (if you are in such a state of roller coaster living).

Now if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to not only forgive us of our sins but to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

That means that His righteousness becomes part of our character and will be the ruling factor in our lives.

James 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.