Robin Williams took his life

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

I always was told suicide gets you to hell immediately. You won't be saved. I think that's really sad. I know full well what those dark moments are like and you want God there but he isn't. I tried to take my own life once, but was afraid of the outcome so didn't carry it out properly. All I got was nasty side effects. Still feel mad at God over this inside, but he loves me I guess...so I shut the anger out. Maybe the fear to kill myself 'properly' was him, I don't know.

I really really hope he was saved. Everyone deserves to be saved. He was a nice man and I believe he spoke of Jesus once.

Such a joyful happy person could hide so much pain inside. It's really sad.

Suicide does not condemn a soul to hell, only not believing 'on' Christ.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

1 Cor 10:13No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

I have to bring up the verse above. If a person is a Christian, and has severe depression, or bipolar, or schizophrenia, or any other disease, and commits suicide. How can we reconcile the above verse.

I ask this because there was a time I was chatting with a teenager on the internet who was depressed, and angry at God. Their uncle had recently committed suicide and the family was saying the the uncle had years of depression, and simply could not handle it any longer. The family was supposedly a Christian family. So this young lady was blaming God for giving her favorite uncle more then he could endure. I believe that no matter how bad, suicide is still a choice. A selfish choice as the person is not doing this for their family, or God, but for themselves.   

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32

We get confused when we mix deeds (sins) with who we are (born with original sin). Sin's doesn't condemn us to hell, but being born into the race of Adam does, if we are not born again. People are born separated from God and worthy of hell. Suicide is an act, but it is more deeper than that, it's who we are, not what we do.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I always was told suicide gets you to hell immediately. You won't be saved. I think that's really sad. I know full well what those dark moments are like and you want God there but he isn't. I tried to take my own life once, but was afraid of the outcome so didn't carry it out properly. All I got was nasty side effects. Still feel mad at God over this inside, but he loves me I guess...so I shut the anger out. Maybe the fear to kill myself 'properly' was him, I don't know.

I really really hope he was saved. Everyone deserves to be saved. He was a nice man and I believe he spoke of Jesus once.

Suicide does not condemn a soul to hell, only not believing 'on' Christ.
I've read that it does, because you are taking away God's will for your life and not trusting in him.

Don't want to get into a theological debate, so going to leave this here.

i believe the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the holy spirit. that's what the Bible says, so that's what i believe. all other sins were covered on the cross. if a person commits suicide, it's not our place to judge whether that person is or is not saved. that's between that person and God. but i do believe that saved people can suffer from mental illness, and sometimes that mental illness takes their life in the form of suicide. God says He doesn't let us go.

joy and love, there have been times in my life when i, too, wanted to commit suicide... but was afraid that i'd botch it. that's probably the only reason i didn't follow through with it.

1 Cor 10:13No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

I have to bring up the verse above. If a person is a Christian, and has severe depression, or bipolar, or schizophrenia, or any other disease, and commits suicide. How can we reconcile the above verse.

I ask this because there was a time I was chatting with a teenager on the internet who was depressed, and angry at God. Their uncle had recently committed suicide and the family was saying the the uncle had years of depression, and simply could not handle it any longer. The family was supposedly a Christian family. So this young lady was blaming God for giving her favorite uncle more then he could endure. I believe that no matter how bad, suicide is still a choice. A selfish choice as the person is not doing this for their family, or God, but for themselves.   

because ILLNESS is not temptation. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

because ILLNESS is not temptation. 

I never said illness was a sin. Suicide is a sin. Understanding the verse when the sin is suicide, no person will be tempted beyond what they can bear. So, the temptation for a person to take their own life, is not so bad, that a person must follow thru with the sin. If the verse is right, a person still has a choice whether to sin/commit suicide or not.

I am not one who believes that suicide is a unforgivable sin. There is only one unforgivable sin, and suicide is not it. But, if we excuse suicide, we are excusing a sin. If we say the person could not help it because of their mental state and disease, then we are saying God is a liar.  No Christian is ever tempted beyond what they can bear. No Christian is tempted due to their illness to commit suicide and they are unable to stop it. For a believer, sin is still a choice and the choosing in this case would be a willful sin.

When it comes to suicide, we like to excuse the person as being too ill, but it sends the wrong message to the survivors. Especially if it goes against scripture or makes God the culprit. God does not make anyone commit suicide. God does not allow something so bad to happen in a persons life, that suicide is their only choice.  

i believe that suicide is, in many cases, an outcome of a mental illness. it's not a temptation, it's an illness. you asked referencing specific mental disorders... schizophrenia, bi-polar, etc. those disorders overtake a person's mental faculties. they disable one's cognitive ability to reason. can God heal the person who has a mental illness? sure He can. but He doesn't always. does that mean if they succumb to the illness that their ticket to salvation is revoked? of course not. we're not talking about a love-sick teenager who is tempted to get revenge on an ex-boyfriend (or his mother, or father) by killing themselves. we're talking about people who have little or no control because they have become mentally incapacitated by psychosis. 

the scripture you gave is not applicable to this situation. at least that is my belief.

i want to add to my last reply.... even if 1 cor 10:13 could be applied to mental illness, would it really matter? that verse does not say "but if you don't take the escape route, and give in to temptation, you're going to hell for it". my goodness, i can't count the number of times i've caved to some temptation or other. thank God for His love and mercy that by doing so He didn't erase my name from His book of life.

i'm going to share these links, not because i believe any extra-biblical source is the difinitive answer to anything, but because sometimes others have done a more exhaustive study into scripture on specific subjects, and the information contained therein may help us to understand scripture better... or at least another person's point of view on the scriptures.

from Christian Apologetics And Research Ministry: http://carm.org/questions/other-questions/if-christian-commits-suicide-he-still-forgiven

From Got Questions? http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-suicide-saved.html