a-seeker

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  589
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

The question I want to ask is, “When is it permissible for the secular sciences to inform our reading of Scripture?” Or negatively, "Why should secular science NOT influence our reading of scripture?" I should stress at the outset that the question is NOT “When should Scripture yield to Scientific claims?” This is not about a contest between infallible Scripture and fallible science, or of God’s word vs. Man’s.  Rather it is the issue of man’s exegesis of Scripture and its relationship to what I call man’s exegesis of nature; or, between scholarship and physical science.  The difference may be subtle but it is important and has been missed or ignored too often on these forums.  There is much in the Bible that is plain and requires no great amount of learning to exegete.  But I think no one here is so confident (or arrogant) to claim a perfect grasp of Scripture from start to finish.  Everyone will admit hard passages to which they can give their “best” explanations; which means they admit the possibility of “better” explanations.  And most here will acknowledge certain tools which will help refine or correct those “best” explanations: whether it be better handling of the Greek or Hebrew, better understanding of the historical context etc.  Sometimes a discovery, like that of the Dead Sea Scrolls, prompts scholars to reexamine traditional readings of Scripture.  Should secular science be allowed the same force?

Obviously the example that looms largest here is cosmology and its influence on our reading of Genesis.  The scientists tell us that the earth is very old, much older than the sum of years mentioned in Genesis would lead us to believe.  This has led some to question the intended meaning of the creation account (s).  On the other hand it has been maintained on this forum by many that the abandonment of a literal 6-day reading of Genesis 1 in response to scientific claims made about the earth’s age constitutes nothing less than the abandonment of God’s Word as revelation.  I struggle to see why.  Granted there have been sloppy attempts to reconcile the two: I find it very difficult to cram an epoch into the Hebrew for “day”.  But I am not here concerned with this or that maneuver but with the general condemnation of even searching for alternative readings. For it seems to me that many on this forum are not even willing to entertain alternative readings that are prompted by scientific claims: they are regarded wrong a priori, and that simply because behind them lies the influence of secular disciplines.  This baffles me. Why the prejudice? 

Once more, I do not advocate the immediate abandonment of traditional readings of scripture the second some conflicting claim has been made public by the sciences. That is irresponsible. But I think it also highly irresponsible not to acknowledge these claims and reexamine what we think we know about Scripture.  Perhaps we find nothing: in which case the alternatives are clear—either abandon inerrancy, or wait for the sciences to abandon their claim.  But what if we do find something? What if we find evidence that not only reconciles the text to scientific claims but (and more significantly) illuminates numerous other areas of sCripture hitherto obscure?  Does the fact that it was a secular discipline which initiated the initial search vitiate those finds?  Is secular science such a vulgar catalyst that nothing good can come from it, however attractive and (I must say) invigorating results? 

clb

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I'm a high school science teacher, and I always point out to my students that what we think is true today in science could be turned on its head by a discovery tomorrow.   The general public often views science as absolute truth, and you are correct that people give their "best" explanations of Scripture, but we also give our "best" current explanations of science, knowing full well that the truth may lie deeper than we realize.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.91
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

The question I want to ask is, “When is it permissible for the secular sciences to inform our reading of Scripture?” Or negatively, "Why should secular science NOT influence our reading of scripture?" I should stress at the outset that the question is NOT “When should Scripture yield to Scientific claims?” This is not about a contest between infallible Scripture and fallible science, or of God’s word vs. Man’s.  Rather it is the issue of man’s exegesis of Scripture and its relationship to what I call man’s exegesis of nature; or, between scholarship and physical science.  The difference may be subtle but it is important and has been missed or ignored too often on these forums.  There is much in the Bible that is plain and requires no great amount of learning to exegete.  But I think no one here is so confident (or arrogant) to claim a perfect grasp of Scripture from start to finish.  Everyone will admit hard passages to which they can give their “best” explanations; which means they admit the possibility of “better” explanations.  And most here will acknowledge certain tools which will help refine or correct those “best” explanations: whether it be better handling of the Greek or Hebrew, better understanding of the historical context etc.  Sometimes a discovery, like that of the Dead Sea Scrolls, prompts scholars to reexamine traditional readings of Scripture.  Should secular science be allowed the same force?

Obviously the example that looms largest here is cosmology and its influence on our reading of Genesis.  The scientists tell us that the earth is very old, much older than the sum of years mentioned in Genesis would lead us to believe.  This has led some to question the intended meaning of the creation account (s).  On the other hand it has been maintained on this forum by many that the abandonment of a literal 6-day reading of Genesis 1 in response to scientific claims made about the earth’s age constitutes nothing less than the abandonment of God’s Word as revelation.  I struggle to see why.  Granted there have been sloppy attempts to reconcile the two: I find it very difficult to cram an epoch into the Hebrew for “day”.  But I am not here concerned with this or that maneuver but with the general condemnation of even searching for alternative readings. For it seems to me that many on this forum are not even willing to entertain alternative readings that are prompted by scientific claims: they are regarded wrong a priori, and that simply because behind them lies the influence of secular disciplines.  This baffles me. Why the prejudice? 

Once more, I do not advocate the immediate abandonment of traditional readings of scripture the second some conflicting claim has been made public by the sciences. That is irresponsible. But I think it also highly irresponsible not to acknowledge these claims and reexamine what we think we know about Scripture.  Perhaps we find nothing: in which case the alternatives are clear—either abandon inerrancy, or wait for the sciences to abandon their claim.  But what if we do find something? What if we find evidence that not only reconciles the text to scientific claims but (and more significantly) illuminates numerous other areas of sCripture hitherto obscure?  Does the fact that it was a secular discipline which initiated the initial search vitiate those finds?  Is secular science such a vulgar catalyst that nothing good can come from it, however attractive and (I must say) invigorating results? 

clb

=====================================================================

The question I want to ask is, “When is it permissible for the secular sciences to inform our reading of Scripture?”

Never.  Or show where Scripture identifies 3rd Party Arbitrators?  IMHO It can be reviewed, if the need arises.... When it is conducted in accordance with the Scientific Method.

SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE: consists of observations and EXPERIMENTAL RESULTS that serve to support, refute, or modify a scientific hypothesis or theory, when collected and interpreted in accordance with the SCIENTIFIC METHOD.'

"Why should secular science NOT influence our reading of scripture?"

See response in TOTO, directly above.

Obviously the example that looms largest here is cosmology

Cosmology isn't "science" because it doesn't follow the Scientific Method:

"Cosmology is not Science".

Martin Lopez Corredoria PhD Astronomer

“Cosmology may look like a science, but it isn’t a science. A basic tenet of science is that you can do repeatable experiments, and you can’t do that in cosmology.” In: (Cho, Adrian, A singular conundrum: How odd is our universe? Science 3171848–1850, 2007.)

The scientists       tell us       that the earth is very old, much older than the sum of years mentioned in Genesis

See The "tell us".... that's the problem.  They need to Validate with Scientific Evidence: See Above.

Moreover, since they're speculating on an Unobserved Event it's laughingly Non-Sequitur @ this point, due to Experimentally Validated TESTS via QM that tell us:

The act of a conscious observer creates the existence of Matter (Particles) and the objects they entail, Instantly!  A Reality Independent of Observation...doesn't exist! Experimentally Validated, Repeatedly; SEE:

Double Slit Experiment

A Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser

Experimental delayed-choice entanglement swapping

To name a few.

So when asked: "does a tree make a sound in the woods when it falls and nobody is around?"; the answer is an unequivocal....NO!  There is no sound and more importantly...there is NO TREE! lol

"Who deserves to trust their intuition more than Einstein; and Einstein's intuition told him, like everyone's intuition tells them, that things are really there when you're not looking at them.  Well, he was Wrong!  That intuition is Incorrect."

Seth Lloyd, Professor of Mechanical Engineering MIT

That's probably why.....

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."

Richard P. Feynman PhD (Nobel laureate Physics)

Granted there have been sloppy attempts to reconcile the two

You've identified the problem...that's the first step.

For it seems to me that many on this forum are not even willing to entertain alternative readings that are prompted by scientific claims:

Well because there are no alternative readings.  Historical Narratives are either Historical Narratives or they aren't, Plain and Simple. 

And....Those aren't "Scientific Claims",  they're "Claims" that Scientists make.... Big Difference!  Unless you have some "Scientific Evidence"?

But I think it also highly irresponsible not to acknowledge these claims and reexamine what we think we know about Scripture.

We acknowledge them, then scrutinize, then appropriate them to the Correct "pile" based on their tenets, accordingly. SEE Above: in TOTO.

Also....

1st issue: "I think"

2nd Issue:  You're letting so-called "science" filter your Hermeneutics.

3rd issue:  (Matthew 4:4) "But he answered and said,  It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Can you show me the Addendum that say's :  "And from some of the babbling's that fallible man makes"....to the above passage?

(Jeremiah 17:9) "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

The question I want to ask is, “When is it permissible for the secular sciences to inform our reading of Scripture?” Or negatively, "Why should secular science NOT influence our reading of scripture?" ...

Why is science the domain of secularists when most of the earliest astronomers and mathematicians were Christians and deists?

Even the ancient Greeks practically worshiped numbers!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,326
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi CLB, You said, “When is it permissible for the secular sciences to inform our reading of Scripture?”

According to the Christian faith, scripture is the highest authoritative communication of God to humanity. Eisogesis is considered a poor interpretation methodology because it diminishes the authority of scripture and subjects it to the authority of outside influences. Scientific discoveries may help us to understand scripture, but not reinterpret it. Only evidence from the context can be used to interpret scripture.

“Why should secular science NOT influence our reading of scripture?”

Science is fallible by design. Christians believe that the scriptures are inerrant in the autographic manuscripts, and that God has preserved all essential doctrine. Why should the infallible word of God be subjected to fallible, subjective human systems? Either these Christian claims about the inerrancy of scripture are true, or they are not.

“the question is NOT “When should Scripture yield to Scientific claims?” This is not about a contest between infallible Scripture and fallible science, or of God’s word vs. Man’s.  Rather it is the issue of man’s exegesis of Scripture and its relationship to what I call man’s exegesis of nature; or, between scholarship and physical science”

You are suggesting that we reinterpret scripture in the light of science – so you are suggesting that scientific claims be given influence and authority over how we interpret scripture. You are suggesting that if the claims of science contradict the claims of the Bible, then the Bible should give way to science – e.g. we should assume (without any evidence from the scriptures themselves) that the Bible is meant to be interpreted symbolically – because it has the gall to disagree with a scientific claim. So it is a competition where in your mind, science wins. You want to mould scripture to fit the fallible and changing claims of science. Then when the scientific story changes because of some new evidence, we will need to reinterpret scripture again.

As the inerrant Word of God, we would expect the Bible to be consistent with the facts. So long as I can interpret a fact to be consistent with the Biblical version of reality, I have no need to compromise my faith in the reliability of scripture.

“And most here will acknowledge certain tools which will help refine or correct those “best” explanations: whether it be better handling of the Greek or Hebrew, better understanding of the historical context etc.  Sometimes a discovery, like that of the Dead Sea Scrolls, prompts scholars to reexamine traditional readings of Scripture.  Should secular science be allowed the same force?”

In the preceding examples you are examining scripture by looking into and comparing scripture to scripture. That is desirable and logically consistent. Our understanding can be improved by exegesis – drawing information out of the text – i.e. information contained in the text. If “secular science” is permitted the same authority, you are employing eisogesis – reading information into scripture that is not actually contained in the text. Thereby you have subjected God’s word to the fallible judgement of human systems.

When we consider that many secular historical claims are interpreted within the naturalistic paradigm (i.e. in a context that excludes the possibility of an interactive God), the danger faced by subjecting the Bible to “scientific” eisogesis is amplified. The faith premise of these claims directly contradicts the premise of scripture – so your suggestion amounts to submitting our scriptures to a contrary faith perspective.

“Obviously the example that looms largest here is cosmology and its influence on our reading of Genesis”

Cosmology is an historical science. Operational science attributes confidence to claims through observation. Historical claims cannot be observed without a time machine – so a different method is required to examine those claims; an indirect method – where we make up a story to account for the past (a model), then test that story against the currently available evidence. But since there is more than one story which can account for the current evidence, we can never be confident (apart from faith) which story is true. So these claims have no logically legitimate standing upon which to influence our interpretation of scripture – apart from secular propaganda.

“The scientists tell us that the earth is very old, much older than the sum of years mentioned in Genesis would lead us to believe”

Find here a list of highly credentialed scientists who consider the Biblical creation account to be a viable explanation of the history of the universe.

http://creation.com/scientists-alive-today-who-accept-the-biblical-account-of-creation

This is not a science versus faith issue. It is about the secular, naturalistic paradigm vs the Biblical paradigm. It is not an issue of facts, but how the interpretation of those facts is influenced by the faith presupposition of the interpreter. Biblical creationists can interpret all of the very-same facts used by secular science to support their models, but to be consistent with the Biblical model of reality. So there is no objective scientific reason for us to surrender our faith in the Biblical version of reality – or to submit our scriptures to the secular faith’s interpretation of facts.

“This has led some to question the intended meaning of the creation account (s)”

Those who lack the understanding required to break down the logic underpinning the secular claims allow themselves to be convinced by the propaganda that these claims warrant logically and scientifically unjustified levels of confidence. Yet there is no objective scientific reason for anyone to question what is written in Genesis.

I think if you are honest with yourself – you are not suggesting a reinterpretation of the creation account, but a rejection of what is actually written. There is nothing in the Genesis account that mirrors Standard Cosmology or Common Ancestry. There is no logical antecedent/metaphor relationship between Genesis and the secular models. You are basically saying that what is written is wrong because it doesn’t conform to secular ideas – then to reconcile your conscience your make an arbitrary claim that Genesis must have been meant symbolically. And thereby, you circumvent the authority of scripture – if it doesn’t agree with science, the Bible is either wrong or symbolic. Science is king and the Bible must submit.

“On the other hand it has been maintained on this forum by many that the abandonment of a literal 6-day reading of Genesis 1 in response to scientific claims made about the earth’s age constitutes nothing less than the abandonment of God’s Word as revelation.  I struggle to see why”

I would not consider belief in Genesis creation to be a salvation issue. However, the creation account provides the philosophical foundations for many of the most important Biblical doctrines; such as holding humanity accountable for sin and death – and our subsequent requirement of a Saviour, or how can a good God create such a cruel reality? Genesis answers these questions. Also Jesus, and both Old and New Testament authors referred to Genesis as historical events – so in accepting secular interpretations of facts, there is and implication that they were wrong/ignorant.

“But I am not here concerned with this or that maneuver but with the general condemnation of even searching for alternative readings”

I wouldn’t condemn the search. But I would question the motivation. The Genesis record has been thoroughly researched. The overwhelming evidence from the text itself is that Genesis means what it says; i.e. an historical creation account. The only reason to presume otherwise is some prevailing obligation to contrary (yet unverifiable) secular claims about history.

“For it seems to me that many on this forum are not even willing to entertain alternative readings that are prompted by scientific claims: they are regarded wrong a priori, and that simply because behind them lies the influence of secular disciplines.  This baffles me. Why the prejudice?”

I don’t think its “prejudice” at all. Our faith is in the authority of scripture. We have examined the scriptures to establish the intent of the author and found overwhelming evidence that Genesis is meant as an historical account. Then we examine the claims of secular history and find them logically unverifiable and formulated around the precepts of a contrary faith. So we need more than the mere suggestion that there may be another way to interpret these scriptures – or the unsupported dismissal of these scriptures as symbolic.

Ultimately, if you don’t want to believe the Bible, then don’t. But we will take issue with people who go to extraordinary lengths to make our scriptures say something they don’t in order to justify some allegiance to the claims of another faith perspective.

“I think it also highly irresponsible not to acknowledge these claims and reexamine what we think we know about Scripture”

I am more than happy to examine any claim – so long as the claimant is happy for me to subject their claim to scrutiny. If I provide copious evidence and argument supporting my position, but my opponent just says “maybe it’s meant symbolically”, then I’m sure you’ll understand why I might be tempted to question their motives. Nevertheless, I agree that no claim should be ignored.

“Does the fact that it was a secular discipline which initiated the initial search vitiate those finds?  Is secular science such a vulgar catalyst that nothing good can come from it, however attractive and (I must say) invigorating results?”

I don’t know what you mean by “secular discipline”. Science does not belong to the secular community. I think we may again need to revisit the difference between the historical and operational methodology. Your example is cosmology – that is historical. All such claims are unverifiable because we cannot perform experiments or make observations in the past - unlike gravity, for example, which can be tested and retested by the operational/experimental method.

Secular historical models do rely on unverifiable faith assumptions – and are therefore inherently biased (in reality – all historical models are influenced by such bias – including creationism). It’s only ‘vitiated’ when this bias is ignored, and confidence in the claims are subsequently exaggerated beyond what is logically and scientifically justified.

Edited by Tristen

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  738
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

This probably won't be a popular view here but, this idea that "historical science" [creationist invented term by the way] is less legitimate or inferior than/to "observational science" is specious. I think you'll find that this mistrust of "historical science" only occurs when scientific claims contradict scripture. I'd like to see the same lack of trust when forensic scientists are trying to figure out who killed their loved one.

If science confirms a claim in the Bible [archaeology etc] do they distrust it then, or just when they don't like the conclusions? Now having said this, I would agree that there are varying degrees of confidence based on how much or how little data you have. But doubting "historical science" only when it casts doubt on your interpretation of scripture seems dishonest.

Here is an article written from a Christian on this creationist tactic to undermine scientific inquiry of the past.

http://godandscience.org/youngearth/operational_vs_origins_science.html

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.91
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

This probably won't be a popular view here but, this idea that "historical science" [creationist invented term by the way] is less legitimate or inferior than/to "observational science" is specious. I think you'll find that this mistrust of "historical science" only occurs when scientific claims contradict scripture. I'd like to see the same lack of trust when forensic scientists are trying to figure out who killed their loved one.

If science confirms a claim in the Bible [archaeology etc] do they distrust it then, or just when they don't like the conclusions? Now having said this, I would agree that there are varying degrees of confidence based on how much or how little data you have. But doubting "historical science" only when it casts doubt on your interpretation of scripture seems dishonest.

Here is an article written from a Christian on this creationist tactic to undermine scientific inquiry of the past.

===============================================================

this idea that "historical science" [creationist invented term by the way] is less legitimate or inferior than/to "observational science" is specious.

Creationist invented Term?....Unsupported Assertion (Fallacy)---- Support....?

Actually it's just common sense based on the fact that You can't observe past events; Ergo....you can't TEST/Experiment a Hypothesis unless you have a Time Machine.

Ernst Mayr PhD Professor Emeritus, Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard University (evolutionist):

"Darwin introduced historicity into science. Evolutionary biology, in contrast with physics and chemistry, is a historical science—the evolutionist attempts to explain events and processes that have already taken place. Laws and experiments are inappropriate techniques for the explication of such events and processes. Instead one constructs a historical narrative, consisting of a tentative reconstruction of the particular scenario that led to the events one is trying to explain."

Since you neither Observe anything then obviously cannot TEST for Validation....it falls outside the Scientific Method.

"The scientific method requires that an hypothesis be ruled out or modified if its predictions are clearly and repeatedly incompatible with experimental tests. Further, no matter how elegant a theory is, its predictions must agree with experimental results if we are to believe that it is a valid description of nature. In physics, as in every experimental science, "experiment is supreme" and experimental verification of hypothetical predictions is absolutely necessary. Experiments may test the theory directly (for example, the observation of a new particle) or may test for consequences derived from the theory using mathematics and logic (the rate of a radioactive decay process requiring the existence of the new particle). Note that the necessity of experiment also implies that a theory must be testable. Theories which cannot be tested, because, for instance, they have no observable ramifications (such as, a particle whose characteristics make it unobservable), do not qualify as scientific theories."

http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_labs/appendixe/appendixe.html

Well, hmmm...  Professor Mayr says for Historical Science... "experiments are inappropriate techniques for explication" but .......

"Theories which cannot be tested, because, for instance, they have no observable ramifications (such as, a particle whose characteristics make it unobservable), do not qualify as scientific theories."---- (from Directly above)  :mgdetective:   Houston, we have a problem.

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."

Richard P. Feynman PhD (Nobel laureate Physics)

What would you suppose Dr. Feynman might say about something that can't be TESTED?

Moreover, The act of a conscious observer creates the existence of Matter (Particles) and the objects they entail, Instantly!  A Reality Independent of Observation...doesn't exist! Experimentally Validated via QM, Repeatedly; SEE:

Double Slit Experiment

A Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser: http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9903047

Experimental delayed-choice entanglement swapping: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1203/1203.4834.pdf

"We have to say that we ourselves have an undeniable part in shaping what we have always called the past.  The past is not really the past until it has been registered.  Or put it another way, the past has no meaning or existence unless it exists as a record in the present".

John Wheeler PhD Physicist, Professor Princeton

I think you'll find that this mistrust of "historical science" only occurs when scientific claims contradict scripture

Reification (Fallacy)-----the mistrust of "historical science"---this is a "concept" so "mistrusting" a concept is nonsensical. It would be like mistrusting Freedom, or Professionalism in State Government (both "Concepts").  It's also an Unsupported Assertion (Fallacy)---- Exactly where can we find this?

Moreover "Scientific Claims" denote "Scientific Evidence"....

SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE: consists of observations and EXPERIMENTAL RESULTS that serve to support, refute, or modify a scientific hypothesis or theory, when collected and interpreted in accordance with the SCIENTIFIC METHOD.'

Step 1: Observe a Phenomenon

Step 2: Lit Review

Step 3: Hypothesis

Step 4: TEST/EXPERIMENT

Step 5: Analyze Data

Step 6: Valid/Invalid Hypothesis

Step 7: Report Results

And since the topic is "Historical" Science which denotes Unobservable and since the First Step of the Scientific Method is "Observe a Phenomenon" we have a contradiction.

I'd like to see the same lack of trust when forensic scientists are trying to figure out who killed their loved one.

Strawman (Fallacy) and irrelevant.  What makes science...."science"?

But doubting "historical science" only when it casts doubt on your interpretation of scripture seems dishonest

Reification (Fallacy)------  How can a "concept" cast doubt? Always with your "spin" ("seems dishonest").  Well many things "seem"... that's why we have the Scientific Method that Operates under Empirical: Observable, Measurable, Repeatable, Falsifiable....to eradicate the "seems" (Opinions) and get to the "IS's" and the "ARE's".

based on how much or how little data you have

Where are you getting the data if you're not conducting a TEST/Experiment since it's Historical; Ergo....in the past? .....

An experiment is a PHYSICAL TEST one carries out. An experiment is not created from "data", an experiment is done to provide "data". (SEE:  Scientific Method:  Step 5 Analyze Data which comes right after Step 4: TEST/Experiment.)

The question I want to ask is, “When is it permissible for the secular sciences to inform our reading of Scripture?”

Or negatively,

"Why should secular science NOT influence our reading of scripture?"

:thumbsup:

Beloved

All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal. Psalms 119:160 (NIV)

Whom Will You Worship?

Christ is the visible image of the invisible God.

He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation,

for through him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth.

He made the things we can see and the things we can’t see—

such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world.

Everything was created through him and for him.

He existed before anything else, and he holds all creation together. Colossians 1:15-17 (NLT)

The Jesus Of The Holy Bible

"Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created." Revelation 4:11 (NASB)

Or Some Pipe Dream

How foolish can you be? He is the Potter, and he is certainly greater than you, the clay! Should the created thing say of the one who made it, "He didn't make me"? Does a jar ever say, "The potter who made me is stupid"?  Isaiah 29:16 (NLT)

Of

"What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator. Does a clay pot argue with its maker? Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, 'Stop, you're doing it wrong!' Does the pot exclaim, 'How clumsy can you be?' Isaiah 45:9 (NLT)

Men?

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen. 1 John 5:21

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

Ummm unsupported assertion? Historical vs operational science? Bonky is right on there. A cursory search of the internet will validate this. It would require that you look up some websites that you do not agree with, however.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,326
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi bonky, you said “This probably won't be a popular view here but, this idea that "historical science" [creationist invented term by the way] is less legitimate or inferior than/to "observational science" is specious”

In what sense is it “specious”? Do you have an argument to back up this claim – or is it another example of Unsupported Assertion? And why is it important who invented the claim – other than to cast more unsupported Innuendo into the fray? If a creationist did invent the term, does that automatically render it illegitimate in your mind – i.e. without giving any consideration to the logical justification? This has nothing to do with being “popular’, but with the incapacity or unwillingness of some to provide a logical defence of their claims.

The historical method is different from the operational method; and logically inferior in several aspects – namely 1) the claims themselves can never be subjected to observation, 2) therefore the claims can only be tested indirectly – through comparing the current evidence to the formulated models (i.e. unobserved stories about what might have happened in the past), and 3) since the claims themselves can never be tested through experimentation (only the models can be tested), no legitimate scientific confidence can be attributed to the claims without committing the logical fallacy Affirming the Consequent. Operational science does not suffer these logical weaknesses.

“I think you'll find that this mistrust of "historical science" only occurs when scientific claims contradict scripture. I'd like to see the same lack of trust when forensic scientists are trying to figure out who killed their loved one”

But if the same evidence can be accounted for by competing explanations, such scrutiny would absolutely exist. This happens in every contested trial. A prosecutor’s job is to interpret the evidence in the context of a story where the accused is guilty. The job of the defence attorney is to interpret the evidence in the context of a story where the accused is not-guilty.

For example, if the knife victim’s blood is found on the accused’s body and the accused’s fingerprints on the knife; a) is the accused the murderer, or b) did the accused find the body and remove the knife. One set of facts – two plausible stories that are consistent with the facts. Such is the nature of all historical science.

The benefit of a legal trial is that both sides are afforded the opportunity to have their arguments heard – whereas in this debate, the secular side goes to great efforts, utilising a broad range of logical fallacies, to convince everyone that the opposing positions should be automatically dismissed without any consideration.

“If science confirms a claim in the Bible [archaeology etc] do they distrust it then, or just when they don't like the conclusions?”

It’s not about trust or “distrust”. Everyone prefers the interpretation that agrees with their pre-existing beliefs – that’s called confirmation bias. The issue is whether or not a person recognises that historical claims can have more than one possible explanation – and since none of the claims is scientifically observed, all claims consistent with the facts are valid and worthy of objective consideration.

“I would agree that there are varying degrees of confidence based on how much or how little data you have. But doubting "historical science" only when it casts doubt on your interpretation of scripture seems dishonest.”

What is truly dishonest is a persistent failure to recognise that all sides ‘doubt’ historical claims that do not conform to their presupposition. Scrutiny (or “doubting”) is a valid pursuit in both historical and operational science. The suggestion that any scientific claim be merely accepted is based in faith, not science.

“Here is an article written from a Christian on this creationist tactic to undermine scientific inquiry of the past.

http://godandscience...ns_science.html

This article doesn’t address the fundamental creationist arguments. It simplifies the creationist position to a couple of prima-facie points, then makes simple, unsupported claims supporting the author’s position, without any consideration given to the underlying logic of the claims. How can you fall for this after our other conversation (starting http://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/181250-big-bang-continued/page-3#entry2120342 )? You must be aware that our position is misrepresented in this article – or is your confirmation bias really so strong that you haven’t heard anything I said?

Edited by Tristen