Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Colton

Your Faith And Your Politics

79 posts in this topic

Something that has always been an interest for me is how people manage the interaction between their faith and their politics. I have met Christians who were very politically active from an explicitly Christian point of view, and I have met others that seemed to separate their faith and their political views. And even still others who avoided politics altogether.

How does your faith inform your political views and activity?

Mostly, not at all.  Except on such things as abortion and same-sex marriage.  I would not vote for anyone who supports those things. 

there are a lot of christians who feel that christians should have nothing at all to do with politics. personally, i feel that we have an obligation to be at least aware, and to do our part when it comes to voting and things like that. i also think that we need to be vocal about our beliefs. for instance, let's take the whole hobby lobby controversy as an example. if christians sit back and twiddle their thumbs, then religious freedoms are going to go right down the toilet. we MUST speak up for what is right. i think in recent years there have been a number of things played out in the public arena where our rights were at stake, and because people are starting to be vocal, i think it's making a difference. a small one maybe, but it's noticeable.

in general, i try to avoid discussing politics these days. i used to follow everything, debate contantly, and get so riled up that my family didn't want to be around me. my husband had one friend that would intentionally bring up stuff just to badger me with... i'm not sure whether he liked me getting all upset, or if he liked making my husband squirm because of our heated discussion.

honestly, i have found i'm much happier, much more at peace, and less stressed out all the time since i quit engaging in political skirmishes.

honestly, i have found i'm much happier, much more at peace, and less stressed out all the time since i quit engaging in political skirmishes.

I have noticed a similar thing with myself. I used to debate anyone, anywhere, about any political issue. Now that I pick and choose more carefully, it makes things much more calm.

oh so we DO have something besides basic humanity in common!

(or maybe that is part of basic humanity?) :P

:) It certainly does get tiresome to be riled up all of the time, pretty hard to disagree with that. Peace is much better.

Oh, and for my original topic over in the welcome area, I was unable to continue responding to people once my account was put in the 'unbeliever' category. I don't want anyone to think I was being rude by not responding any longer.

My politics hang on abortion. If you ever voted for abortion choice, you won't get my vote. If I have no one to vote for, then I write in Jesus Christ. And, I don't debate politics and religion. I'll tell you where I stand if you ask me, but I never start a conversation or engage in debate about it.

What they said. :happyhappy:

In the past I crossed party lines on certain issues (heck, back in in my atheistic hippie days I was a McGovern campaign worker!), but those days are gone. Anymore I just vote on the issues, and as far as candidates, I check their stance against the Word. If none of them line up with that, I'll write someone in. What I WON'T do is refuse to vote at all. Too many of my friends and brothers died face-down in the mud in some of the worst hellholes on the planet to buy us all that right.

I am politically conservative, and would be a conservative regardless of my faith.  I first got involved in politics as a result of the damage being done to this country by the liberal policies of Jimmy Carter.  I attended my first Republican party meeting at age 15, and worked to round up votes for Ronald Reagan before I was old enough to vote.  I believe in small government and low taxes.  I would hold to those views regardless.  I was already pro-life and opposed to the homosexual agenda.  My religious views haven't made me change my original positions, but it has made one difference.  I was not only opposed to the homosexual agenda, but I hated homosexuals.  I used to tell people they should round them all up, put them on an island, and blow it up, and the world would be a better place.  Becoming a Christian has caused me to no longer hate homosexuals, only the sin.  I don't wish them harm, but desire they would come to the Lord and be saved.  Jesus has taken the hate out of my heart, but my Christian faith has made me stronger in my conservative political views.  I won't vote for any pro-choice candidate if there is a pro-life opponent, and I will not support candidates that support gay marriage.  That is not based on hatred, but on my belief that marriage is an institution created by God between a man and a woman, and my knowledge that God hates the sin of sodomy. 

Why do I believe in conservative politics?   I believe that liberal policies do more harm than good, even if they are done with good intentions.  My first job paid minimum wage, but I had already figured that I should do pretty good since I was living at home at the time, and had some idea what I should bring home.  I was shocked when I saw my first check, and all the money that was taken out for taxes and social security.  My income would have placed me below the poverty level, but I still had a huge chunk taken out by the government.  That was hardly helping the little guy.  I sought to get a job that would pay more money that I was fully qualified for, only to find out I couldn't have it because I was white.  Now I was dealing with reverse discrimination.  On another job, I was only allowed to work 38 hours a week, because if I slipped and wound up going past 40 hours, that meant I had to get time and a half.  I was on a flexible schedule, so I couldn't work a part time job.  The time and a half law meant to help the little guy harmed me.  I would have been glad to have worked 60 hours a week at regular pay, but I wasn't given that option.  I saw sewing factories in my town go under one by one, along with the retirement of many women, because of increases in the minimum wage.  All the things meant to help people made life harder for them, and I am not talking about the wealthy.  I believe in a government that is a small as possible, that requires as little tax money as possible, and that regulates us as little as possible.  I don't want the government making me buy insurance I don't want, or making me do things like wear a seat belt.  I want them to leave me alone.  I would rather have a society where the people sink or swim on their own, rather than have a massive welfare state.  For that reason, I would be an ultra conservative Republican or perhaps a pro-life Libertarian, regardless of my religious views. 

Blessings Michael

Welcome to Worthy.........I am not really big on discussing politics but I do have a very strong conviction on politicians that have no regard for the One that placed them in a position where they can make a difference ,this Country was founded on the Word of God & anyone who does not uphold what is good,what is right & the things of God does not have my vote................God Bless America & I pray He continues to Bless us as a Nation,the Lord says I am to obey the law,submit to Authority & pray for my leaders.....I can do all those things whether I vote for them or not but I cannot & will not support immorality & sin,,,so I would have to say my Faith dominates my political views....................                                                                                                   With love-in Christ,Kwik

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0