IGNORED

13 Contrasts Between American and Biblical Christianity?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

So… What do you think? Agree with these or disagree?

God bless,

GE

13 Contrasts Between American and Biblical Christianity?
(click link for discussion of these points)

1. American Christianity focuses on individual destiny. The Bible focuses on corporate vision and destiny.

2. American Christianity focuses on individual prosperity. The Bible focuses on stewardship.

3. American Christianity focuses on self-fulfillment and happiness. The Bible focuses on glorifying God and serving humanity.

4. American Christianity appeals to using faith to attain stability and comfort. The Bible encourages believers to risk life and limb to advance the Kingdom.

5. American Christianity usually focuses on individual salvation. The Bible deals with individual and systemic redemption.

6. The American apologetic focuses on human reason. The Bible's apologetic focuses on the power of God and experience.

7. American believers have a consumerist mentality regarding a home church. The biblical emphasis is being equipped for the ministry.

8. American Christianity promotes a culture of entertainment. The Bible promotes the pursuit of God.

9. American Christianity depends upon services within a building. The biblical model promotes a lifestyle of worship, community and Christ following.

10. American Christianity is about efficiency. The biblical model is about effectiveness.

11. In American Christianity the pastor is elected. In the biblical model God calls the pastor.

12. In American Christianity the individual interprets the Bible. In the New Testament the hermeneutical community interprets the Bible.

13. American Christianity trains its leaders in Bible colleges. Biblical Christianity nurtures leaders through personal mentoring.

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/44947-13-contrasts-between-american-and-biblical-christianity?showall=&start=4

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Emailed it !

Guest Butero

I agree with more than I disagree with.  I do question what they mean by number 7.  I completely disagree with number 12.  That is how you get stuck in false doctrine that never gets corrected.  You have churches built on the faulty foundation of the person that started the denomination.  They will claim to follow proper hermeneutics, which to me is often times a bunch of nonsense.  Everything the person says he claims to be the proper interpretation based on hermeneutics, and they discredit anyone that disagrees with them, as though there is some magic formula to always get it right.  The Bible tells us to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, so I believe every individual had better interpret scripture for themselves, not as the community helps them along, but as the Holy Spirit teaches them the truth from the Holy Bible.  I can't tell you how many errors I have seen people teach that I know to be errors because I took the time to learn the Bible for myself.  Even the church founders don't agree on how to interpret scripture, or you would have a single unified Christian church, rather than all the denominations we have that trace their roots back to men like Luther, Calvin and Wesley.  Most of the things in your list are good, but I don't agree with number 12 as being Biblical Christianity.  Biblical Christianity when it comes to number 12 is to allow the Holy Ghost to lead us into all truth, not a congregation. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Well, I think 2, 3 and 4 are true statements, but American Christianity is wrong about these things, especially #3. We are supposed to be Holy, not necessarily happy. Which is not to say God is against us being happy. But Holiness comes first. I think if we love God the way we should, then being Holy would bring us happiness.  I have to give the others more thought.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,326
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi GE,

I am not American – so I don’t really have the background to comment of what constitutes “American Christianity”. Prior to this I don’t ever recall hearing the term. Yet I would suggest that most of the characteristics on this list (both good and bad) could be found in most Christian churches around the world. It seems to me like someone has set out to criticise what they consider to be “American Christianity” by making massive, self-righteous generalisations about a highly varied group of people and their doctrines. Whilst there are fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, there is no rule in Christianity that we all have to agree on every doctrine.

Romans 14:4

Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

Philippians 1:18

18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

Sure paints a somewhat dismal picture of America's churches. I live in America and my church is a lot more like the Number Two's than the One's.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

So… What do you think? Agree with these or disagree?

God bless,

GE

What I think is all that kind of comparison is just another mistake in 'generalizations' that people with limited scope and understanding dream up to somehow make their own status and shortcomings more comfortable to deal with. Christ's Faithful can be found in all nations, including in America, which is why such generalizations don't work, and are a waste of time.

I agree with more than I disagree with.  I do question what they mean by number 7.  I completely disagree with number 12.  That is how you get stuck in false doctrine that never gets corrected.  You have churches built on the faulty foundation of the person that started the denomination.  They will claim to follow proper hermeneutics, which to me is often times a bunch of nonsense.  Everything the person says he claims to be the proper interpretation based on hermeneutics, and they discredit anyone that disagrees with them, as though there is some magic formula to always get it right.  The Bible tells us to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, so I believe every individual had better interpret scripture for themselves, not as the community helps them along, but as the Holy Spirit teaches them the truth from the Holy Bible.  I can't tell you how many errors I have seen people teach that I know to be errors because I took the time to learn the Bible for myself.  Even the church founders don't agree on how to interpret scripture, or you would have a single unified Christian church, rather than all the denominations we have that trace their roots back to men like Luther, Calvin and Wesley.  Most of the things in your list are good, but I don't agree with number 12 as being Biblical Christianity.  Biblical Christianity when it comes to number 12 is to allow the Holy Ghost to lead us into all truth, not a congregation. 

Yes #7 seemed a bit vague to me too. #7 from the article for further discussion:

7. American believers have a consumerist mentality regarding a home church. The biblical emphasis is being equipped for the ministry.

Americans shop for a church today based on what meets their personal and family needs the best. It is almost like a supermarket mentality of one-stop shopping. While it is good if churches attempt to meet the practical needs of families and communities, the focus should be upon equipping the saints for the work of the ministry (Eph. 4:11-12). God may lead a family to a new church plant instead of a megachurch even if the megachurch has more programs to offer. Biblically, it is all about assignment and equipping. If a person is doing the will of God, they will be fed by God anyway (John 4:34).

#12 from the article.

12. In American Christianity the individual interprets the Bible. In the New Testament the hermeneutical community interprets the Bible.

In the New Testament, when they were grappling with Scripture, they called a council and had dialogue to discern what the Spirit was saying (Acts 15). Paul went to the Jerusalem elders (Peter, James and John) to make sure what he was preaching was of God (Galatians 1 and 2).

Often, American preachers get unique interpretations of a passage and come up with a different angle on Scripture based on their own subjective paradigm and/or spiritual experience. Most of the time this turns out OK, but sometimes (as in the case of some like Bishop Carlton Pearson, who preaches a form of universalism and ultimate reconciliation of all) this can have heretical effects.

Perhaps #12 is also a reference to 2 Peter 1:20:

knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. (ESV)

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. (KJV)

What do you think brother?

God bless,

GE

Well, I think 2, 3 and 4 are true statements, but American Christianity is wrong about these things, especially #3. We are supposed to be Holy, not necessarily happy. Which is not to say God is against us being happy. But Holiness comes first. I think if we love God the way we should, then being Holy would bring us happiness.  I have to give the others more thought.

3. American Christianity focuses on self-fulfillment and happiness. The Bible focuses on glorifying God and serving humanity.

The Great Commandments are to love God and love our neighbor (Matt. 22:37-40). It seems to me that much of the focus from the American pulpit has to do with individual fulfillment and satisfaction.

Yes, it does seem that we focus in America on self-fulfillment and happiness instead of God's glory and serving others. God desires for us to be holy and joyful, not necessarily happy 100% of the time.

What do you think of the others?

God bless,

GE

I didnt know there was a thing called american christianity, but do clearly see christianity in america has many self serving, false teachings, feel good message, etc., type of aproaches. I have heard stories of people in africa listening to some american missionaries and the people where confused and said, where do you get this garbage?

Here is one of my pet peves... God bless america OR america bless God. I choose the latter because just because we are in america dont mean God should bless us. In the bible blessings follow obedience.

I cant figure out what is being said in number 7.   Most of them I do agree with. A couple I am unsure on but can see what the implication is.

I find it interesting when churches have a "God bless America" day.

#7 from the article... Perhaps it was a bit vague?

Americans shop for a church today based on what meets their personal and family needs the best. It is almost like a supermarket mentality of one-stop shopping. While it is good if churches attempt to meet the practical needs of families and communities, the focus should be upon equipping the saints for the work of the ministry (Eph. 4:11-12). God may lead a family to a new church plant instead of a megachurch even if the megachurch has more programs to offer. Biblically, it is all about assignment and equipping. If a person is doing the will of God, they will be fed by God anyway (John 4:34).

What do you think?

God bless,

GE